• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazon Legitimacy ? (Topping D30)

Allswell

Hello,

First post here and wasn't too sure where to post it.

I just recently bought a Topping D30 DAC from Amazon.ca and it came the next day practically "open box". It didn't look used but there was no seal on the box nor any shrink wrap/packaging on the inside.

I've tested it and the DAC sounds good but I'm just a bit concerned that it was previously used and sold as a new item. Or that it's possibly fake? (as in, certain components have been swapped out of it?)

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

(P.s, when it arrived it was also frozen.... as in, there was a thin layer of frost when I took the DAC out of the box... which I found concerning)

Jumbotron

If I were you, I would send it back to them and ask for a refund. More than once, I got items not looking totally new from them. Back then I kept those items. But no more, when I buy something new I want it undoubtedly in that condition.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My d30 (which I think I got used) came in a box, DAC in a little bag etc. Nicely packaged.

patient_ot

In general, I wouldn't suggest buying the Chinese brands from Amazon Marketplace unless you know the seller is a legit, authorized retailer. Lots of resellers on there. They way Prime works is that if folks ship back something it is supposed to be sold as a used product - before it was very clear that it was coming from Warehouse Deals or was used or whatever. Given the volume they are doing used products sometimes get restocked as new when returns come in. If you have any qualms about what you received, go ahead and do a return/exchange. Personally I would suggest buying the Chinese brands like Topping, SMSL, Sabaj, Gustard, etc. from Apos Audio as they are authorized, there is no question you are getting new, it ships very fast, and you get a free extended warranty. Hard to beat that.

Hypnotoad

I bought one from Amazon.au and it arrived in a sealed box and looked new, yours sounds sus to me, but if it works and you're happy with it keep it, if not complain and get them to send you a new one. Never heard of any fake Topping DAC's though.

OP
A

Allswell

Thank you all very much for the replies.

I think the verdict now is that I will return it.

Though I really liked what I heard from the "D30", can anyone suggest something "better" as I feel like I will be spending a bit more money buying outside of Amazon regardless now. (My budget would be 150 (Canadian...))

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
My experience with Amazon returns has been good.

Example:

Amazon, may I help you?
Yes, I want to return my stuff.
Why?
I don't like it.
Ok! That's a reason!

Don't remember it making a difference if it was "Sold and Shipped by Amazon" or one of their third party vendors.

It has all (as I remember) shipped out to Amazon.

Last edited:
OP
A

Allswell

Thank you all.

I will be returning it and going with an authorized vendor.
I know this isn't the right sub-forum but since I'm here, does anyone have any DAC recommendations as I mentioned above?
( I forgot to mention, if it's possible to find a DAC that's "better" than the D30 and that has an 3.5 mm Input IN jack as well??)

I feel like I'm asking for too much here.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Though I really liked what I heard from the "D30", can anyone suggest something "better" as I feel like I will be spending a bit more money buying outside of Amazon regardless now. (My budget would be 150 (Canadian...))

The D50 or D50s would be the next step up. The D50s has some nice extras like Bluetooth and a remote, it also measures slightly better (IIRC, there would be no audible difference). What are you planning to connect the DAC to?

OP
A

Allswell

The D50 or D50s would be the next step up. The D50s has some nice extras like Bluetooth and a remote, it also measures slightly better (IIRC, there would be no audible difference). What are you planning to connect the DAC to?

I would like to connect to it via a 3.5 mm jack (from my phone.../ gaming console (yes it only has a 3.5 mm jack audio out surprisingly ))

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I would like to connect to it via a 3.5 mm jack

I don't see an analog input on the D50 or D50s, if that is what you are looking for..

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would like to connect to it via a 3.5 mm jack (from my phone.../ gaming console (yes it only has a 3.5 mm jack audio out surprisingly ))

The 3.5mm output from your phone and console is analogue. You need to supply the DAC with a digital input (Co-ax/optical S/PDIF or USB in the case of the D30).

OP
A

Allswell

The 3.5mm output from your phone and console is analogue. You need to supply the DAC with a digital input (Co-ax/optical S/PDIF or USB in the case of the D30).

(When I hooked it up to my computer via USB, the music sounded superb)

Can an analog signal be run through a DAC then?

I'm sorry guys , I'm still learning and don't know :(

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Amazon's easy return policy leads to open box merchandise being sold as new.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

No, it's a Digital to Analogue Converter. Running it off a PC is fine, or even off the USB connection on a phone if is has the capability to act as a USB Host and you find the right cable. You can also use the digital output of a CD, DVD or Blu-Ray player as a source. What are you connecting the output of the DAC to? This would usually be either an amplifier and speakers, active speakers (which include an amplifier) or a headphone amplifier and speakers.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Some DACs have analog inputs in addition to the digital inputs.

The signal can be routed around the DAC chip, or internally converted to digital and processed by the DAC chip.

I don't think analog inputs are a commonly seen feature.

If you don't intend to use digital sources, look for an amplifier, not a DAC.

Top Bottom