• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazon launches lossless high-res music service!

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
the only downside to amazon hd is their getting-better-but-still-pretty-bad apps. actually pretty impressive for only being a year old

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
the only downside to amazon hd is their getting-better-but-still-pretty-bad apps. actually pretty impressive for only being a year old
I think they are getting better too. Lots of constant updates and feature adds. Hope it continues.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
while Tidal is more for people who don't take audio quality seriously.
There I fixed it for you. Tidal's problem is there insistence on putting as much of their catalog possible in MQA.
Friends don't let friends use MQA.. ;)

nikky

The HD version of Amazon Music makes no concessions regarding sound quality, it's all at least 16/44, with many available hi res options. And it's device-agnostic; my wife and I use it in the three sound systems in the house, on my iPhone when out hiking, and in her car when she's doing cross country trips.
Oh, thank you so much. I'll try HD version if possible.:D

Reactions: SIY

nikky

There I fixed it for you. Tidal's problem is there insistence on putting as much of their catalog possible in MQA.
Friends don't let friends use MQA.. ;)
hhhhh, thank you so much. Anyway, the day ends with laughter~I knew tidal put many efforts into improving their audio quality, maybe this is a result of their good advertising.

Last edited:

MarcT

Forum Donor
I just got this email from Amazon:

"We have some great news for you – going forward, there will be no extra charge for HD as part of your Amazon Music Unlimited subscription.

You will continue to have full access to all of your HD content, but at no additional cost. This change will be reflected in your next billing cycle."

https://www.amazon.com/music/unlimited/hd?ref_=pe_44662510_583234550

Bamyasi

hhhhh, thank you so much. Anyway, the day ends with laughter~I knew tidal put many efforts into improving their audio quality, maybe this is a result of their good advertising.
Yep, received this email today too. I went and checked my Amazon Music HD subscription information on the account settings page and it has already been updated to reflect the new reduced price, $7.99 per month (with Amazon Prime).

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
You will continue to have full access to all of your HD content, but at no additional cost. This change will be reflected in your next billing cycle."
I'm not a Prime member and didn't recieve an email? I have an Individual HD account and it costs me $9.99 a month so I don't think I'll see any change. That's fine, as soon as Spotify goes lossless I'll go back to them. They have a Linux desktop app plus my AV does Spotify Connect so I'll finally be able to stream HD under Linux.

Edit, LOL, I just got the same email but can't see how my cost will drop any lower? We'll see.

hmscott

I ran across this ad while searching on google just now, only for new AMHD subscribers...:
https://www.amazon.com/
For a limited time only, get 3 months of Amazon Music Unlimited Free. Starts at $7.99/month after. New subscribers only. Terms apply. Alexa Voice Controls. Unlimited Skips. Any song, anywhere. Prime Member Discounts. Podcasts Now Streaming.
Echo Plan at $3.99 · ‎Amazon Music HD · ‎Free Music Streaming · ‎Free Music with Prime

It doesn't explicitly say Amazon Music *HD*, but now that all Amazon Music streaming is AMHD...at the same $7.99/month :)

BinkieHuckerback

Some songs from the same album on Amazon HD are in OPUS 16/44.1 but play as 'standard'.
Some on the same album are FLAC 16/44.1 and play at 16/44.1.
I use a FiiO AMP/DAC combo capable of 24/48.
Why the difference (I'm not complaining, I don't think I can tell the difference) - I'm wondering why the same album from the same source has different qualities? (Empire of Love by Violet Cold - splendid stuff).

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I ran across this ad while searching on google just now, only for new AMHD subscribers...:
https://www.amazon.com/
For a limited time only, get 3 months of Amazon Music Unlimited Free. Starts at $7.99/month after. New subscribers only. Terms apply. Alexa Voice Controls. Unlimited Skips. Any song, anywhere. Prime Member Discounts. Podcasts Now Streaming.
Echo Plan at $3.99 · ‎Amazon Music HD · ‎Free Music Streaming · ‎Free Music with Prime

It doesn't explicitly say Amazon Music *HD*, but now that all Amazon Music streaming is AMHD...at the same $7.99/month :)

Not sure if US same as UK but buy an annual sub and its same as 10 monthly payments

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Some songs from the same album on Amazon HD are in OPUS 16/44.1 but play as 'standard'.
Some on the same album are FLAC 16/44.1 and play at 16/44.1.
I use a FiiO AMP/DAC combo capable of 24/48.
Why the difference (I'm not complaining, I don't think I can tell the difference) - I'm wondering why the same album from the same source has different qualities? (Empire of Love by Violet Cold - splendid stuff).
This one's... interesting for sure. A little more 2021 than the new Lee Aaron record I was listening to before (which is not half bad... the Metal Queen clearly still has some pipes). I can't confirm the issue though, seems to play in FLAC throughout. Perhaps you had some sort of connection issues (congestion)? The app seems to make it pretty clear that quality would be "automatically optimized for varying network conditions".

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This one's... interesting for sure. A little more 2021 than the new Lee Aaron record I was listening to before (which is not half bad... the Metal Queen clearly still has some pipes). I can't confirm the issue though, seems to play in FLAC throughout. Perhaps you had some sort of connection issues (congestion)? The app seems to make it pretty clear that quality would be "automatically optimized for varying network conditions".

Thats what I wondered, the quality settings in the app. I think you can force highest quality, wonder if that forces FLAC.

BinkieHuckerback

I've got the setting on 'best available'.
It says that things could vary dependant on network speed.
So I tried the same tracks again - same thing, FLAC and OPUS etc.
So I'm not convinced it's to do with network speed....

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've got the setting on 'best available'.
It says that things could vary dependant on network speed.
So I tried the same tracks again - same thing, FLAC and OPUS etc.
So I'm not convinced it's to do with network speed....
Is this Windows?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is this Windows?

In the UK, Windows app. That whole album plays as FLAC 16/44.1 . Thats with quality settings on both best available and then HD/Ultra. If I toggle Standard on, it plays OPUS but tells me the album is available in HD and to change the settings. So assuming UK files are from the same storage as wherever you are, its something in your pipeline. What happens is you toggle quality to HD/ Ultra?

Top Bottom