• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazon launches lossless high-res music service!

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning

phrosty

Forum Donor
So the files are high-res, but is there any way to check if the player is bypassing Android's 16bit/48kHz?

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Which parts of that article relate to loudness normalization?

First, there is digital signal processing software, which is used to accurately measure dynamic range, peak-to-peak, peak-to-mean, and calculate average loudness in advance of playback... as well as apply correction (up or down) to music levels or specific frequencies.

There is also mention of how simple loudness controls work.

Third, there's a good explanation of equal loudness curves which is where things come together for the listener.

These explanations go beyond the OP's question (equal loudness on or off?) but might help him/her develop a deeper understanding of the subject in order to make up their own mind on what's best for them.

A great deal influences what we perceive to be "louder". Sometimes it is peak spl, other times it is the spl at a critical frequency, etc. DR range can also play a role, especially on highly compressed tracks. Many rabbit holes to follow.

Last edited:

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

g29

That depends on your perspective. It's comparing the best you can get from Qobuz and Amazon on Windows. It's Amazon's choice to force playback through the Windows mixer.

Will it playback through JRMC's WMD so the windoze mixer can be bypassed ?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Turned it off as fast as my slow old brain will allow.
Depending how they have implemented it fidelity may be higher with it on, as there could be less inter sample overs.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Depending how they have implemented it fidelity may be higher with it on, as there could be less inter sample overs.

Agree. It's about the manner of execution. The dynamic range of musical genre can also influence the effectiveness of the execution too.

Last edited:

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
That depends on your perspective. It's comparing the best you can get from Qobuz and Amazon on Windows. It's Amazon's choice to force playback through the Windows mixer.
OK, I take your point, but that makes the comparison Windows-specific and will likely have no relevance to other platforms.

gvl

Major Contributor
Would be nice to see Spotify respond to this with a reasonable lossless option..

I've been waiting more than 8 years for Spotify to support WASAPI exclusive mode on Windows, no dice.

gvl

Major Contributor
Does the player support selecting an output device?

Can you tell me where to select it on the Win10 desktop?

I couldn't find a way, may be I was looking in the wrong place, but it seemed that playing through the default sound device is the only option. Disappointed, I immediately uninstalled.

g29

I couldn't find a way, may be I was looking in the wrong place, but it seemed that playing through the default sound device is the only option. Disappointed, I immediately uninstalled.

If it plays through the "default sound device", then it should work with JRMC's WMD which then can use exclusive mode.

day7a1

Forum Donor
there is some time to wait and see if they can improve the browsing on their apps.
In Deezer, if you add a track to "Favourites", does it also add the album and artist to the relevant sections of "My Music"?

I'm just wondering how common this style of organization is. I can see how it would be good for sorting the music you actually own, but it's horrible for a pure streaming service where you have a millions of songs effectively in your "library". It's one of the things I like about Tidal. Plus the substantial discount I get. :cool:

day7a1

Forum Donor
Plus, you OWN it.
Until someone breaks into your apartment and steals it all..... then you'll begin to appreciate web streaming the price of one CD a month.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Until someone breaks into your apartment and steals it all..... then you'll begin to appreciate web streaming the price of one CD a month.

Does this happen a lot? I'd expect most low lifes are going for the higher end stuff instead of running down the road with a sack of jewel cases.

Just in case, though, I'll put my Justin Beiber collection out as bait.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Does this happen a lot? I'd expect most low lifes are going for the higher end stuff instead of running down the road with a sack of jewel cases.

Back in the 90s when CDs had a significant secondhand value they were one of the most stolen items ever, as they were very hard to identify. Now, they are worth essentially nothing- no thief would waste his/her time when phones, laptops, jewellry and money/credit cards are what they want. Even camera gear is not high on their list to steal.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
OK, I take your point, but that makes the comparison Windows-specific and will likely have no relevance to other platforms.
Indeed - the performance on each platform may be different depending on Amazon's player implementation. If they open up their API we may start seeing other implementations that allow a 'fairer' comparison.

Top Bottom