• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazon launches lossless high-res music service!

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
What would be really nice, though, is the ability to control music on my PC from the comfort of my iPad. Tidal lacks this basic feature that Spotify has had for years.
Not as neat as a dedicated app, but you could control the PC (and the apps running on it) using LogMeIn or a VNC client such as VNC Viewer. Both are free.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Not sure if service will be available here in Switzerland, but that's over $10 cheaper than Qobuz. I might be interested!
The other day at IKEA I was able to hear their new speakers developed with Sonos. I don't need any of those but they cost less than competitors and sounded fine for what they are. What is it with the big consumer companies getting interested in sound?
€€€£££$$$!!!

JBNY

Most streaming services are just meant fo you to search and hit play, finding and saving all the music you like and putting it in My Music, or downloading is really not how most people use the product. Same thing with Classical, that is not there target audience at all. So don’t expect too much

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
The other day at IKEA I was able to hear their new speakers developed with Sonos. I don't need any of those but they cost less than competitors and sounded fine for what they are. What is it with the big consumer companies getting interested in sound?

I'll take your word for it! I try to stay away from Ikea because the layout is a maze designed to navigate customers in a way that triggers impulse buying. Not that I'm prone to that sort of thing... just hate having my time wasted.

Big companies get into sound as a way of adding so-called "lifestyle" products to their lines. Sonos and Bose seem to fit the niche nicely. B&O too, except that company actually knows what it is doing.

Today it's audio. Tomorrow IKEA will go back to incense candles and €1 cork trivets.

samshaver

Just out of curiosity, are you guys turning off “Loudness Normalization” or leaving it turned on?!?

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Off. Always. Regardless of source.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Has anyone else tried to bite a chunk off a Toblerone and stabbed the roof of their mouth, or is just me being daft?
Christ how uncouth..., One triangle at a time mate , I know your Australian now but ...

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Has anyone else tried to bite a chunk off a Toblerone and stabbed the roof of their mouth, or is just me being daft?

Do it all the time. Also burn my tongue getting coffee down my neck. Poor impulse control with chockos and java, I guess. Happens mostly in Melbourne, which has both of very good quality.

JonnieD

Anyone done any listening tests comparing the lossless streaming services?

I did a quick test yesterday of a couple of tracks on Amazon vs. Tidal (non MQA) and my own ripped Flac files. And I must say (via iOS a Chord Mojo and decent IEM's) that Amazon lagged behind the other two in terms of micro detail, ambience and sound staging in what heard.

Mid term I'd happily switch from Tidal for a cheaper service if it offers the same sound quality and choice available.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
I don't think many people choose any of these services based on sound quality. Streaming offers choice at a price. Get the balance between those right and you have mass market appeal for casual listeners.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most streaming services are just meant fo you to search and hit play, finding and saving all the music you like and putting it in My Music, or downloading is really not how most people use the product. Same thing with Classical, that is not there target audience at all. So don’t expect too much
Other services have ways to browse genres. Classical may not be the main audience for some of the services, it is still possible to browse the genre. Below, from Deezer, for example (I think Deezer does a poor job with this, but at least it is something!). Amazon is giving a long trial period so at least there is some time to wait and see if they can improve the browsing on their apps.
1568818380230.png

1568818577051.png

Ratatoskr

Anyone done any listening tests comparing the lossless streaming services?

I did a quick test yesterday of a couple of tracks on Amazon vs. Tidal (non MQA) and my own ripped Flac files. And I must say (via iOS a Chord Mojo and decent IEM's) that Amazon lagged behind the other two in terms of micro detail, ambience and sound staging in what heard.

Mid term I'd happily switch from Tidal for a cheaper service if it offers the same sound quality and choice available.

Yup since Amazon Music HD was free for three months I signed up. Spent a few hours last night comparing same tracks on Amazon HD to Qobuz and heard the same loss of sound quality in Amazon HD you did. Amazon HD uses Windows mixer, does not let an external DAC take control like Tidal or Qobuz (at least not yet.) I will keep Amazon HD around for a few months but I don't see it replacing Qobuz for me.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Your subjective perceptions are noted, but this being Audio Science Review, I am afraid they won't carry much weight here.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Does the player support selecting an output device?

It does using Windows and their app on iOS, I've tested both. And I assume all the devices they support you'll be able to.

Can you tell me where to select it on the Win10 desktop?

Krunok

Major Contributor

LOOL That is NOT how you're supposed to eat it! You're supposed to gently push one triangle at the top toward the rest of them - that will break that triangle at the bottom so you can put it in your mouth harmlessly. :D

Top Bottom