• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazon launches lossless high-res music service!

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well then keep on listening to your lossy files and enjoy .

Just in case you haven't noticed, this is Audio Science Review. Most of us prefer verified, confirmed objective evidence rather than pure subjective opinions, beliefs and perceptions. I would love to see your controlled, level-matched double-blind ABX logs comparing lossless to 256 k AAc and 320 k Vorbis. It is not hard to do - just download and install foobar2000 and the ABX plugin for foobar2000. Convert your favourite lossless albums, and run a double-blind ABX.

Eirikur

Y'all must not be from around these here parts....ain't you heered of that-there Nyquist fella? Always yammerin' on about bit-depth and samplin' rate bein' good 'nuff at Redbook, higher'n that bein' totally inaudible, or some such.

Seriously, saying a that 24 bit track sounds better than 16 is just wrong. <snark> Therefore, I have no choice but to discard your non-level-matched and sight-biased opinion. </snark>
Ehm, no. Nyquist is strictly about the frequency domain and doesn't say anything about dynamic range.
24bits allows for a much lower noise floor and a sufficiently large dynamic range in the entire audio chain - where 16bit may not be enough. Please study the link contents, its interesting!

Last edited:

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Since all recorded contemporary music (1950s -->) has a dynamic range of less than 20 dB (10-15 dB is considered quite good), 16 bits of resolution appears to be more than enough.

I've never heard of a classical piece over ~22 dB of DR, which again makes 16 bits of resolution sufficient.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ehm, no. Nyquist is strictly about the frequency domain and doesn't say anything about dynamic range.

True.

24bits allows for a much lower noise floor and a sufficiently large dynamic range in the entire audio chain

Yes, but pretty much no recording studio, commercial recording or domestic listening room has a range beyond 16 bits, 16 bits is enough as a storage and distribution format. Yes, ADCs and DACs should, as Amir notes, preferably have more, but that is a different discussion.

rmo

Just in case you haven't noticed, this is Audio Science Review. Most of us prefer verified, confirmed objective evidence rather than pure subjective opinions, beliefs and perceptions. I would love to see your controlled, level-matched double-blind ABX logs comparing lossless to 256 k AAc and 320 k Vorbis. It is not hard to do - just download and install foobar2000 and the ABX plugin for foobar2000. Convert your favourite lossless albums, and run a double-blind ABX.
Yawnnnnnnnm

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Yeah here are my measurements asshole :
16/44 compared to 24/44 level matched
You must be a Spotify user .
For your antagonism and insulting behaviour your hereby awarded a 1 month suspension from the forum .

This kind of language used as a insult towards another member is simply unacceptable.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FM radio was exactly that for many years, then they started using NICAM digital between studio and transmitter and all the analogue goodness was spoiled :)

Yes, back in 1972... :)

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Yours isn't round! What have you been doing to it? .

Maybe he was successful in keistering a Pono in advance of his last tour of juvenile hall...

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe he was successful in keistering a Pono in advance of his last tour of juvenile hall...

Now, now, let's not descend to his level..

josiah

Would anyone confirm if Amazon Desktop App has been updated to allow direct signal (exclusive mode) to your DAC. I don't see the point in lossless if Windows is going to mess with my sound output.

Thanks.

Ratatoskr

Would anyone confirm if Amazon Desktop App has been updated to allow direct signal (exclusive mode) to your DAC. I don't see the point in lossless if Windows is going to mess with my sound output.

Thanks.

Not in my desktop app which says latest version. Expecting Amazon to change the app to use exclusive mode in just a few days might be optimistic; they may not even care about ultimate sound quality or they would have launched with exclusive mode.

MusicNBeer

Forum Donor
I don't notice a problem with the sound. This is with the old Node. How would Amazon even mess that up on bluesound? Asking in earnest; I don't know the inner workings of this stuff.

I don't see any way to see what bitrate/depth is being streamed. I only see a 'CD' or 'HR' icon. There's no options in my BluOS app. I have no idea why it's sounding bad. I agree it makes no sense. Maybe I listened to 5 poorly remastered titles.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
I don't see any way to see what bitrate/depth is being streamed. I only see a 'CD' or 'HR' icon. There's no options in my BluOS app. I have no idea why it's sounding bad. I agree it makes no sense. Maybe I listened to 5 poorly remastered titles.

Most remasters are junk. They're compressed to the nuts, with dynamic ranges measuring well below 9 dB. This is criminal, given the potential for digital editing to greatly reduce noise floor and produce copies with frequency ranges identical to what is on the master tapes.

audimus

So as not to be hypocritical in this Science forum, only reports of “bad sound” that have been confirmed with a double blind test of the same recording from a non Amazon source will be taken seriously. Ears cannot be trusted.

This is to prevent any personal biases that one may have against Amazon or the Amazon service from coloring the perception.

;)

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor

Gus141

I don't see any way to see what bitrate/depth is being streamed. I only see a 'CD' or 'HR' icon. There's no options in my BluOS app.
Connect an S/PDIF cable (TOSLINK or Coax) to an external DAC that has a way of showing bit-depth/sampling-rate. I connect my Node 2i to an RME ADI-2 DAC and can see the bits/SR.

Top Bottom