• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazon launches lossless high-res music service!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, Windows 10, all up to date.
I only signed up to Amazon HD and downloaded the app a few days ago too, so I'm sure things are up to date.

See my post after- mistakenly quoted my own post not yours

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Some songs from the same album on Amazon HD are in OPUS 16/44.1 but play as 'standard'.
Some on the same album are FLAC 16/44.1 and play at 16/44.1.
I use a FiiO AMP/DAC combo capable of 24/48.
Why the difference (I'm not complaining, I don't think I can tell the difference) - I'm wondering why the same album from the same source has different qualities? (Empire of Love by Violet Cold - splendid stuff).
I just played it on my pc laptop and it plays in FLAC 16/44.

BinkieHuckerback

In the UK, Windows app. That whole album plays as FLAC 16/44.1 . Thats with quality settings on both best available and then HD/Ultra. If I toggle Standard on, it plays OPUS but tells me the album is available in HD and to change the settings. So assuming UK files are from the same storage as wherever you are, its something in your pipeline. What happens is you toggle quality to HD/ Ultra?
Well now I've just gone through the album and as you say it's all in FLAC...I'm in the UK. Must be something to do with network then?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well now I've just gone through the album and as you say it's all in FLAC...I'm in the UK. Must be something to do with network then?

Would be the logical conclusion. Unless you're trying to save data, I'd set to HD /Ultra and change it back if you get stuttering /buffering.

We likely will never know what parameters trigger it to fall back to OPUS.

BinkieHuckerback

Would be the logical conclusion. Unless you're trying to save data, I'd set to HD /Ultra and change it back if you get stuttering /buffering.

We likely will never know what parameters trigger it to fall back to OPUS.
Playback was fine, no stuttering/buffering. I don't need to save data, so I figure leave it on 'best available'.
I couldn't tell the difference by ear. I have been looking at the quality of the playback to help see if I can detect a difference.
Thanks for replying

Top Bottom