• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazon Fire tablet connect to external DAC

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thinking of getting one of these to use to use as a display, with the USB connected to my minidsp SHD. Has anyone tried using the Fire tablet with an external DAC ?

sigop215

Fire 10HD USB C ------>Leaf Dac (RCA) ------>Hattor Preamp (RCA) ----->Hattor Monoblocks
Using Neutron music player seems to work alright.

Attachments

• 20210621_180411_HDR.jpg
    20210621_180411_HDR.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 530
OP
Kachda

Kachda

Forum Donor
Fire 10HD USB C ------>Leaf Dac (RCA) ------>Hattor Preamp (RCA) ----->Hattor Monoblocks
Using Neutron music player seems to work alright.
Thanks. So when you connect the fire hd to the usb of leaf dac, the fire hd is able to output music correctly to usb, good to know. Did you have to use any special cable ?

sigop215

No special USB connector is needed . Depending on what software you use to output audio, you might want to dive into the settings to bypass the limitation of android output.

OP
Kachda

Kachda

Forum Donor
Thanks. So a simple usb-c to mini usb (which is what my dac uses) is all that’s required. Thanks very much

Bamyasi

I've been using Fire 8 HD with a wireless charging stand, which solves the problem of charging both the tablet and USB DAC at the same time. One downside is that its Fire OS resamples USB audio to 96/24, while Amazon app running on it for some reason sees its capability as 192/24, so everything gets first upsampled to 192 kHz and then immediately downsampled to 96 kHz. Not that I was actually able to hear the effect of this but it was kind of annoying. So I switched to using FireStick 4K and never looked back.

audioJon

I've been using Fire 8 HD with a wireless charging stand, which solves the problem of charging both the tablet and USB DAC at the same time. One downside is that its Fire OS resamples USB audio to 96/24, while Amazon app running on it for some reason sees its capability as 192/24, so everything gets first upsampled to 192 kHz and then immediately downsampled to 96 kHz. Not that I was actually able to hear the effect of this but it was kind of annoying. So I switched to using FireStick 4K and never looked back.

How did you know upsample/downsample was taking place? Is there a work-around?

Bamyasi

How did you know upsample/downsample was taking place?
My USB DAC's display always shows 24/96 during playback. At the same time AMHD app shows 24/192 for UltraHD tracks, both under Device Capability and under Currently Playing at as well. So I guess there is some misunderstanding going on between the OS and the app. Note, my Fire Tablet HD8 OS has received two version updates and numerous "component upgrades" since last time I have run this setup, so the issue might have been fixed by now.
Is there a work-around?
None that I am aware of.

sigop215

How did you know upsample/downsample was taking place? Is there a work-around?
Use an app that bypasses OS limitation when it comes to songs being downsampled. In my case I use neutron music player. I should also mention my fre tablets have had the firetool box applied to them to declutter all those Amazon default apps.

Bamyasi

Use an app that bypasses OS limitation when it comes to songs being downsampled. In my case I use neutron music player.
Does not work with Amazon Music HD.

Last edited:

ClassicGuy

This can explain why Amazon Music sounded like crap on most of my Android devices (phones and Fire Stick). Spotify worked perfectly fine on the other hand.

yoavf

hey. I did the same, and I have to say that firestick is one of the Of the more amazing things it has made but was too stupid to realize it. When they come out with their latest Apple copy cat ARC over echo speakers, instead of fire sticks that kind of tells the story. I am curious how you were able to get the quality that I get for example with the Alexa cast is a horrible close standard identical to Amazon‘s but not compatible with anything from yamaha, because when I am able to use HDMI without a screen it’s difficult and comes at a price of quality. The only durable solution in my case was to replace The built-in musiccast features with fire stick on the Yamaha 685 which allows stripping the video and HDMI part of the stream and essentially listening to music without watching TV. When I was trying DAC cheap products it was never the same regardless of the official stats and some did not Work at all and certainly do not support cec. I would love to get your advice on how you set up the system exactly and what to use because I am using several Amazon components mostly fire sticks and mostly just to establish groups and for synchronization, which is another amazing feature of fire stick that far exceeds any receiver that I’ve seen. Amazing that they sell echo link for 10 times the price and not close to the value thanks a lot

Top Bottom