• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazon Echo Link

Midwest Blade

I switched over to Amazon Unlimited HD in my condo system a couple of months ago dropping my long held Pandora subscription and more recent Tidal subscription. As a Prime member we shop, watch video and now listen to music via Amazon (going all in with AtoZ is a bit of a concern but that’s another post).

Problem was that my Yamaha WXC-50 still had not updated to carry the Amazon HD platform, I had read that this was coming but still no update. Bluetooth and Airplay were not cutting it for me. Finally ordered the Echo Link after a quick review, it arrived yesterday. Hooked it up after lunch and after some trial and error got it set up and running. Listened for a few hours and report all works well. Hooked it up via coax to my Yamaha AS-301 and all sounds fine. No voice control for us so controlling via the Amazon HD app on my iPad casting by WiFi over to the Link.

If you are on the Amazon platform this is a pretty effective way to connect a system.

Ivanovich

Forum Donor
Good to hear that is working out. I was going the same route as I am also sucked into the Amazonian econosystem. That is further complicated by also also being in the Apple econsystem. Both Siri and Alexa vying for our attention.

I abandoned the idea for now because I understood the Echo Link downconverts everything to 16bit/48kHz, not really taking advantage of the Ultra HD. It does provide their HD Music CD quality, the minimum for me so that’s good.

I finally stopped stressing about the Ultra HD’s higher rates, since I don’t trust what they say, can’t measure to check it, and can’t hear the difference anyway!

Amazon Music displays bogus info sometimes. t shows my AirPlay being capable of 24-bit/48kHz, when I’m pretty sure it’s limited to 16/44.1.

I’m curious when you tap the HD or UHD logo, what does it show for the ”Device Capability” of the Link? (I’m still using an old Airport Express for wireless and USB for wired for full depth and resolution, both into a miniDSP.)

A2B69EAF-A529-433E-8C95-DA479F635E67.jpeg

68B36F0E-3E32-49DB-8279-A4CAB59964F1.jpeg

Edit: My friend’s CD was mastered for higher rez, so I removed that complaint.

Last edited:

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
You can also stream to your as301 or any stereo with line in with other less expensive Echo devices - such as the Echo Input (was $10 for a bit), regular echo, or a Fire Tablet (the 7" was $30 at intro, and may in future be back on sale at or near that). Basically, any Amazon device that the Alexa app will recognize, you can use and control. You also need not have your portable controlling device be an Amazon device, most Android phones that run Amazon Music HD should work.

PS - if you are concerned about the quality of the built-in echo DAC, you can use a Fire Tablet (even the 7") that supportS OTG and an external DAC/dongle. I tried a powered OTG (powered) cable and a D10. Worked fine

Last edited:
OP
M

Midwest Blade

@Ivanovich above,

The whole HD and UltraHD becomes moot as you noted as the LINK works at 16/48, which I agree is totally fine for me. I fall in with the resolution is more or less locked in with the original recording, hires copies of old jazz classics are just a bit suspicious in my books. When casting to the Link the HD and UltraHD icons disappear, which I was surprised by, but it makes sense in the end.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
also does this for no apparent reason!
I see this also - and for me it's always been a local WiFi network issue. A temporary drop (happens a lot with my AT@T cell tower hotspot connection) in bandwidth causes it to switch to standard.

To get it out, I find I can't just pause, I need to switch to another song, then switch back.. Maybe others have a better way..

OP
M

Midwest Blade

I had airplay drops and interference which grew very tiring and I have never viewed Bluetooth as a permanent connection.

Ivanovich

Forum Donor
I see this also - and for me it's always been a local WiFi network issue. A temporary drop (happens a lot with my AT@T cell tower hotspot connection) in bandwidth causes it to switch to standard.

To get it out, I find I can't just pause, I need to switch to another song, then switch back.. Maybe others have a better way..

I think you’re right it’s the wifi. I was pretty far from the router.

Amazon seems to be leading on the affordable streaming CD quality audio, that’s good. They also, seem to still be sorting some things out in the Ultra HD front. Hopefully, they’ll get the capability of their hardware devices squared away soon, as the competition will be sure to follow their lead. Why offer hi-res streaming and sell devices for it that can’t use it?

I wish I could verify that the stream is what they are claiming it is? I hear differences when streaming vs. via USB from my NAS and it’s disconcerting.

OP
M

Midwest Blade

Well looks like the Echo Link was a good decision...just got a note from Yamaha customer service answering my question on when Amzaon HD will be added to the WXC-50..."Amazon will not be added".

I am okay with this as the Link has been working very well. I will neatly pack up the WXC-50 and put it on the shelf for another day.

Jungstar

Do you think the WXC-50 and Echo sounds similar? Any thoughts?
Some reviews say the Echo Link is terrible, I have one and I mostly like it.

OP
M

Midwest Blade

I think it sounds absolutely fine. I run mine via the coax out to my integrated amp coax in after setting it up both ways and noticed no difference. I saw the reports that the dac in the Link was poor but I would not come to that conclusion. Hooked up easily to my wifi system and has performed flawlessly.

Having used the Yamaha WXC-50 for quite sometime, mainly streaming Tidal and Pandora I would have to say I prefer the Amazaon HD and Echo Link. I was reluctant to go all in with Amazon but with a no risk return and the roll out of Amzon HD I am happy with my migration. I do miss Pandora's music genome, it was great for music discovery and I do not miss Tidal's music influences.

PacketHauler

I just bought a Fire TV Cube and connected it via HDMI to my Yammy AV receiver. It lists the audio capability at 16-bit/48kHz. Yeah, it'd be nice if it did higher bit-rates/sample rates. I'm honestly happy that they are playing it back as lossless. I've easily heard the difference between the lossy formats of the same songs.

Jungstar

I think it sounds absolutely fine. I run mine via the coax out to my integrated amp coax in after setting it up both ways and noticed no difference. I saw the reports that the dac in the Link was poor but I would not come to that conclusion. Hooked up easily to my wifi system and has performed flawlessly.

Having used the Yamaha WXC-50 for quite sometime, mainly streaming Tidal and Pandora I would have to say I prefer the Amazaon HD and Echo Link. I was reluctant to go all in with Amazon but with a no risk return and the roll out of Amzon HD I am happy with my migration. I do miss Pandora's music genome, it was great for music discovery and I do not miss Tidal's music influences.

Good News... Ultra HD Quality Audio... (also link to article), Quote from Amazon:

"Alexa-enabled Echo devices (2nd generation and later), Fire TVs and Fire Tablets all support HD quality audio. The Echo Studio, Echo Link, and Echo Amp support Ultra HD quality audio."

My question is.... would that be lossless into 16bit/48hz from Coax/optical out?

Jungstar

Btw, you can still use Tidal and Pandora via the Echo. You can add it at alexa.amazon.com and choose device > Echo link > Music. I think there might be a max of 2 music services.

Ivanovich

Forum Donor
My question is.... would that be lossless into 16bit/48hz from Coax/optical out?

The question is unclear to me, as written.

“Supports” means it accepts Ultra HD input, at all Amazon Music supported bit rates and resolutions.

However, my understanding is they all down convert those inputs to 16-bit / 48 kHz for all outputs.

teashea

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does anyonw know if the DAC in the Echo Link is better than the DAC in the Echo Studio?

Top Bottom