• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazon Basics, Audioquest, Morrow audio RCA cables Compared

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
If you don't hear a difference awesome! You just saved yourself hundreds of dollars lol.

In that case, I dont understand why you don't want to save hundreds of dollars yourself?

If the difference is only present because you want it to be, then why not just use that trick of the mind to your advantage instead? Tell yourself that there's no difference and voilà: You just saved yourself hundreds of dollar!

Noodles

The more i read this thread - i'm pretty sure this was all just a very very targeted troll attempt :)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Really? Maybe because the OP threw out a few posts completely against the premise of the site on page 1 then disappeared?

But curse you for making me look back; now I want some of that ice cream! :)

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does capacitance translate into any frequency response or other measurable differences?

Noodles

Does capacitance translate into any frequency response or other measurable differences?
If the isolation between the conductors (wires) is sufficient, and probably in 99.9% of cases it is, then it plays no role at all.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Capacitance causes some roll-off at high frequencies, say 100 MHz and up. It has no significance at audio frequencies.

Surely and certainly, you don't want higher capacitance with longer cable runs. :(
Cables I've tried with high capacitance usually sound warm and slow ... very slow ... :oops:
However, I'm pretty sure that there are systems where these cables may work well ... :cool:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Cables I've tried with high capacitance usually sound warm and slow ... very slow ... :oops:
However, I'm pretty sure that there are systems where these cables may work well ... :cool:

Unless there's something pathological (unusually high output impedance combined with unusually high capacitance), that's more likely your imagination.

Let's put hard numbers to this. Let's say the source impedance is 1k, which is quite high, and the interconnect capacitance is 1000pF, likewise quite high. Your rolloff (3 dB down) would be at 160 kHz. If you claim you can hear that, I frankly wouldn't believe you without REALLY solid evidence- you might as well claim you can bench press 5000 kg and run 150 km/hr. Put in more realistic numbers for normal sources and cables and that rolloff point will be at least an order of magnitude higher.

That "warm and slow sound" is in your imagination.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
Unless there's something pathological (unusually high output impedance combined with unusually high capacitance), that's more likely your imagination.

That "warm and slow sound" is in your imagination.

You are exactly right, Music playing (not Audio) is first and foremost imagination ... I am convinced a SPDIF digital connection "sounds better" than an USB ... so I let you imagine ...
Am I fooling myself ? Sure I do ... Do we want to control our imagination ? I am not so sure we can do that ... :)

Johnb

The first comment was respectful and outlined the thinking of most people here. Thereafter, it got a bit nastier. Trolling? Maybe. Or maybe just a guy who wanted to share his "data". I have to assume, done with good intentions. You could try to gently bring him over from the Dark Side. And could you blame someone? The preponderance of the "legitimate" press peddles that cable-sniffing crap.

jasonq997

Forum Donor
The first comment was respectful and outlined the thinking of most people here. Thereafter, it got a bit nastier. Trolling? Maybe. Or maybe just a guy who wanted to share his "data". I have to assume, done with good intentions. You could try to gently bring him over from the Dark Side. And could you blame someone? The preponderance of the "legitimate" press peddles that cable-sniffing crap.

Nah. There is no negotiating with terrorists or cable subjectivists.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Cable threads enable the fun which this forum encourages. Watching the obstinate ignorance re cables expounded in the face of considered knowledgeable refutations is somewhat Pythonesque. :)

Roen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do we have measurements between cheap and expensive RCA cables? I posit no FR differences, but I’ve never seen graphs.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Do we have measurements between cheap and expensive RCA cables? I posit no FR differences, but I’ve never seen graphs.
I plan to do some measurements in the future....

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Years ago, I cancelled my subscription to Stereophile when the editors advised a 17-year-old kid who had been saving up for ages, to spend 1/3 of his savings on cables, 1/3 on source, 1/3 on speakers. How dare they do that to a kid.
I don’t know about the individuals. Some people truly believe that câbles make a huiuuuuuuge difference in their systems. Back in the days, I was one of those. I remember having rewired my electrical system with hospital grade outlets and sitting down listening to a “new” audio system :facepalm:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I don’t know about the individuals. Some people truly believe that câbles make a huiuuuuuuge difference in their systems. Back in the days, I was one of those. I remember having rewired my electrical system with hospital grade outlets and sitting down listening to a “new” audio system :facepalm:
The good part was that the system really did sound improved to you, even though it was only a delusion.
The bad part is that others believe you when you write/talk about them. ;)

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hasten to add that the stellar works (because this is work, hard work) of people such as Amir , DonH56, SIY, RestorerJohn, Solderdude et all here at ASR are making people more aware of the BS that goes around in High End Audio. The veil is being lifted slowly but the dérision level is abating. In its relatively short existence the forum has become a reference A focal point for clear , honest a d serious testing. Thanks Amir. Thanks Don thanks anyone I have forgotten to name specifically.

Top Bottom