• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazon Basics 80W Review (Bookshelf Speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 60 29.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 103 51.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 37 18.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

musicforcities

I am not sure I like this new kinder, gentler @amirm . Two objectively poor speakers in a row receive a recommendation with caveats. Yet better speakers (looking at you LS50) received no such accommodation. I know we are veering toward consistency with headphone reviews here, but I am not convinced that is a good direction.

The vast majority of buyers of these (and the Tune Tots) will have no idea how to EQ a speaker, therefore they will be heard as they come out of the box. Both are terrible in that context, yet both are recommended. I am so disillusioned now...
I disagree: many casual users are going to put loads of eq on these almost immediately, usually via the streaming amp. Bass emphasized or a giant smile curve (aka, Spotify “electronic” eq setting, or Apple Music “rock” setting).

C. Cook

For the price, another approach that DIYers and hobbyists might want to try is taking them apart and putting in some better cabinet bracing. I saw a guy who goes by NOAudiophile do that with a pair of, I think, JBL desktop monitors. He posted before and after measurements and it helped significantly in reducing cabinet resonance(s). He also used some sort of foam that hardens after application on some of the inside surfaces including the back of the front baffle.

C. Cook

They sure look like some of Edifier’s models. And Edifier does manufacture products for other brands I believe or at least collaborated (eg, there is a model Edifier and EarFun wireless earbuds that are exactly the same except the earfun does have an app and one of the buttons has a different function. Simply a different Firmware).
Amazon is notorious for ripping off the products of popular mfg's/sellers using their platform. They obviously possess the data to show which models are selling the best and which are most profitable, then they go about copying them and re-introducing them with slightly different looks and undercutting the 'original' by double digit percentage points under the Amazon brand.

musicforcities

I see no validity to any audio assessment he puts forward. There simply is no foundation to support any of it. So my reaction to him liking or not liking this speaker is, "so what?"
Here here! The Sith audio sponsorship stuff is kinda funny and he is not the worst out there, but that dude's recommendations are all over the place. And he recently gave airtime to someone selling snake oil cables.

musicforcities

Amazon is notorious for ripping off the products of popular mfg's/sellers using their platform. They obviously possess the data to show which models are selling the best and which are most profitable, then they go about copying them and re-introducing them with slightly different looks and undercutting the 'original' by double digit percentage points under the Amazon brand.
they could be an OEM sort of thing. who knows.

puppet

EQ is all very well but aren't you supposed to start with a speaker that already has a near flat on and off axis response? Isn't EQ supposed to fix the problems with the room/speaker interface and not the speaker itself?
EQ'ed for on axis means off axis is going to be bunk. That's just the way it is. I think if EQ is going to be recommended then that's how it should be put on the Klippel.

Jujubee

I lost my remote to these speakers. Do I need to order a new one or can I get around going without? Universal one?

Top Bottom