• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazon Basics 4K HDMI Extractor Review

Rate this HDMI Extractor

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 78 45.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 62 36.5%

• Total voters

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the connectors layout is indeed identical, the rest looks different i guess, but the sticker is screaming "we are brothers!" (amazon to the right)
View attachment 246681
My hat’s off to you for looking under the hood! I don’t use any of the analog stages, I only use the HDMI digital de-embedder function to pass through to coax. Have you found that you have to enable multichannel as well?

MCH

Major Contributor
My hat’s off to you for looking under the hood! I don’t use any of the analog stages, I only use the HDMI digital de-embedder function to pass through to coax. Have you found that you have to enable multichannel as well?
No, i just used it for toslink 2 channels

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been searching for an up-to-date HDMI de-embedder over the years. Yet, I am still on a learning curve!
I have learned that there are 2 types of such products:
Some of these hardware (but only if the specific details can be unearthed) appear to extract the audio without 'reconstituting (reconstructing?)' the actual HDMI pass-thru HDMI/video data... during the audio-extraction process.
I am in the hunt for such an 18GB-speed HDMI extractor that provides XLR audio outputs that can match 'CD quality specs'.
I would be satisfied if it is only 2-channels and under ~$400.
Atlona AT-HDR-M2C ($$=??) and Extron HAE-100 4K ($$=??) come close to my wants.
Prophecy PRO-AudioExt 4K HDR (@ $50), and Monoprice BlackBird4K (@ $45), and even the Tripplite P130-000-AUD4K6 ($58) seem better parlays than this tested pos!:facepalm:
I have very little trust in manufacturers specs, now that Amirm is the real sheriff in the audio universe!

Last edited:

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been searching for an up-to-date HDMI de-embedder over the years. Yet, I am still on a learning curve!
Some of these hardware (but only if the specific details can be unearthed) appear to extract the audio without 'reconstituting (reconstructing?)' the actual HDMI pass-thru HDMI/video data... during the audio-extraction process.
I am in the hunt for such an 18GB-speed HDMI extractor that provides XLR audio outputs that can match 'CD quality specs'.
Prophecy PRO-AudioExt 4K HDR (@ $50), and Monoprice BlackBird4K (@ $45), and even the Tripplite P130-000-AUD4K6 ($58) seem better parlays than this tested pos!:facepalm:
I have very little trust in manufacturers specs, now that Amirm is the real sheriff in the audio universe!
You want a de-embedder that extracts XLR analog output? You might check out Key Digital’s website, but I think that may be a tall order I’m afraid…

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
God knows what that Altona will cost you, but I have one of these that is a kitchen sink of de-embedders and “professional” grade. See if it does what you’re looking for—it’s built like a tank and comes with a dizzying array of options/features. Plus, with Amazon you can return it with no hassles…

Key Digital 4K 18G HDMI Fixer with L/R PCM Audio & De-Embedded Audio Output - KD-FIX418A https://a.co/d/hdtMmjM

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...Key Digital 4K 18G HDMI Fixer with L/R PCM Audio & De-Embedded Audio Output - KD-FIX418A https://a.co/d/hdtMmjM
KeyDigital KD-Pro2x1x ($350) was considered because it states it is balanced outputs (5pin Phoenix)).
But then again; digging a bit deeper, this is the only worthwhile audio spec I could find at their website:
TND + Noise: 0.33% @0dBu @ 1kHz
I think they mean "THD" but that alone is the deal breaker...:(
A Zigen offers their ZIG-RAE HDMIv2.0 (balanced) audio extractor ($135) but it doesn't even have a published "TND" specification.
[If Amirm would be interested in testing a discontinued item, I can send him mine].

Audiopraise VanityPro doesn't do what I want; even if the price was under $500.

iLoveCats

When I have the multichannel output selected on this board and Sony’s DSEE Extreme enabled on the player, I get 88.2khz for Red Book CDs and 176.4khz for SACD discs—this is how I figured out that the DSEE Extreme engine upsamples the signal by a factor of two. The same tech is still available in the current production UBP-x8002–whether the upsampling makes any audible difference is questionable, but to my ears this setup sounds great!
So your D90 displays 176.4 on the COAX input when playing SACD's off an HDMI extractor?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was truly an early adopter of MonoPrice when all they did was to peddle cables.
I became an early abondoner of the brand when I ordered some of their pricier RCA pairs which lacked any sort of L/R (red blue) identification at cable ends.:mad:
POF!

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
With SINAD 146.34 we get

"146 dB is the ideal performance of 24 bit PCM data and we are getting that. This means that the device transparently passes the digital data from HDMI to Coax"

Comparing to WiiM's 141.5 where we could read

"This is the best you can do with 24-bit dithered signal."
"If you use the App and Toslink output, you basically have a transparent wireless link to your stereo."

Can someone explain the difference? 141.5 will not give ENOB = 24.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
With SINAD 146.34 we get

"146 dB is the ideal performance of 24 bit PCM data and we are getting that. This means that the device transparently passes the digital data from HDMI to Coax"

Comparing to WiiM's 141.5 where we could read

"This is the best you can do with 24-bit dithered signal."
"If you use the App and Toslink output, you basically have a transparent wireless link to your stereo."

Can someone explain the difference? 141.5 will not give ENOB = 24.
It says it right there: it’s with added dither. You lose a few bits to it, but potential gain some resolution back, especially when volume is lowered.

morillon

Major Contributor
here...146 and 141 is with dither, no?
same protocole?
;-)

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
It says it right there: it’s with added dither. You lose a few bits to it, but potential gain some resolution back, especially when volume is lowered.
Yes, I can see almost 5 dB difference in sine measurement between dithered and undithered signal in REW. What's the point of using dithered one in those tests?
And even more important - why performing tests with different setup parameters (I guess test here was made with undithered signal)?

Last edited:
Based on Amirm’s review I ordered the Amazon to extract 2 Channels from the HDMI output of an Apple TV 4K. I’ll use the coax output with a Schiit Modius to get XLR outputs. Total cost about $260. The balanced outputs will feed a Powersoft Mezzo 604AD connected to 4 x 1Sound c5i for our front office system.

damirj79

Does this HDMI exctractor support CEC functions? I mean, is it able to control volume of analog output with TV remote control or is it fixed?

datrumole

i HATE having downmixing in the bedroom for 2ch watching tv. so i was thinking about the dayton audio BS41, which is a 3ch passive speaker array in a 'sound bar' format and replace my 2ch speaker array on my kuro

i want to be able to take my chromecast, send it into an HDMI extractor (possibly this one), get 5.1ch output, find a 5.1ch DAC, then send LCR to likely some small amp modules (dropping SUR) to power the BS41

however, does anyone have any suggestions for a spdif/opt to 5.1 analogue thats actually decent? there is so much out there for 2ch and it's frustrating us 5.1ch folk don't get much representation

edit: before anyone suggests an AVR instead, i'd love to have this all tucked behind my tv mounted to the wall as there isnt any room for an AVR in the bedroom (despite it likely being the correct and most simplistic answer)

MCH

Major Contributor
i HATE having downmixing in the bedroom for 2ch watching tv. so i was thinking about the dayton audio BS41, which is a 3ch passive speaker array in a 'sound bar' format and replace my 2ch speaker array on my kuro

i want to be able to take my chromecast, send it into an HDMI extractor (possibly this one), get 5.1ch output, find a 5.1ch DAC, then send LCR to likely some small amp modules (dropping SUR) to power the BS41

however, does anyone have any suggestions for a spdif/opt to 5.1 analogue thats actually decent? there is so much out there for 2ch and it's frustrating us 5.1ch folk don't get much representation

edit: before anyone suggests an AVR instead, i'd love to have this all tucked behind my tv mounted to the wall as there isnt any room for an AVR in the bedroom (despite it likely being the correct and most simplistic answer)
Does chromecast decode 5.1 audio like the apple tv?

D1N0

Yes:
Screenshot_20221208-010818[1].png

Dutch, but this is a Chromecast v2.

Last edited:

D1N0

it's frustrating us 5.1ch folk don't get much representation
Blame AVR makers for not making more compact stuff. Marantz is your best bet. HDMI is the standard for multi-channel audio in video, why would anyone use the antiquated toslink for that. (From a video pov).

Last edited:

datrumole

Blame AVR makers for not making more compact stuff. Marantz is your best bet. HDMI is the standard for multi-channel audio in video, why would anyone use the antiquated toslink for that. (From a video pov).
I'm with ya, ideally I'd do HDMI to analog

Top Bottom