• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazon Basics 4K HDMI Extractor Review

Rate this HDMI Extractor

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 78 45.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 62 36.5%

• Total voters

iLoveCats

Does anyone think you could use this to convert DSD that's output on HDMI out to COAX?

tinnitus

If the measurements of the 2-channel version are anything to go by, this thing should not be worth its money.
I also think the part is too expensive, but what alternative is there on the market? I have the part in use on my 4 channel digital crossover on the RPI3B+ and it runs well.
The DM7 is the better alternative, but only with USB input.
Übersetzt mit DeepL

JSmith

Master Contributor
hence it’s bit perfect
Sure, however jitter can be introduced and HDMI is often not great on jitter to start with either;
Blumlein 88 said:
I had a similar device. I did confirm the Toslink output was bit perfect. Had HDMI output on a laptop I fed into it, and a separate device record the Toslink. It worked as it should. However, the extractor had huge amounts of jitter way worse than even the HDMI. If you feed the device into something via Toslink it can filter some of the jitter out of course, but the amount was large enough it wasn't a good result.

Now that doesn't mean they are all that way. The one I had was a different brand from 3 years ago. You can always get it from Amazon and return it with in 30 days if you aren't happy with it.

JSmith

Last edited:

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Amazon Basics 4K HDMI extractor. Member kindly purchased and drop shipped it to me. It normally costs $22.89 but was on sale for just $5!!!
View attachment 245854
The case is the standard metal one for these kinds of adapters. Power is provided with a supplied USB-A to barrel (9 volt) connector. I powered it using the hub in my computer monitor. As you see a nice switch forces the digital output to be either stereo or 5.1.

View attachment 245855

Pass-through HDMI connector is naturally provided as well as Toslink, Coax and analog stereo 3.5mm outputs.

Amazon Basics HDMI Extractor Analog Measurements
I started testing by feeding it HDMI and capturing analog output:
View attachment 245856

Not very pretty but hard to expect anything more remotely close to this price point. Output is low by desktop DAC standards but should be enough to drive most amplifiers.

I was pleasantly surprised by the dynamic range being nearly 16 bits:
View attachment 245857

I could tell there was jitter from the dashboard and our dedicated test shows that and then some:
View attachment 245858

Linearity indicates some kind of truncation to 16 bits:
View attachment 245859

IMD test shows high noise+distortion:
View attachment 245860

Paradoxically, multitone response is quite respectable:
View attachment 245864

That is like due to lower output level used in Multitone test.

Frequency response is good:
View attachment 245861

Filtering of out of band, not so good:
View attachment 245862

Which causes problems for our wideband noise and distortion test:
View attachment 245863

Amazon Basics HDMI Extractor Digital Performance:
I hooked up to the coax output and got this dashboard:
View attachment 245865

146 dB is the ideal performance of 24 bit PCM data and we are getting that. This means that the device transparently passes the digital data from HDMI to Coax with no funny conversion to 16 bits and such. This means you can hook up your own high-performance DAC and get proper analog output.

Conclusions
It is incredible how cheap electronic devices can get despite their complexities. Here we not only have an HDMI extractor but a DAC as well. To have this full functionality ship for total of $22 is incredible. No, the DAC is nothing to write home about but for everyday use it should be fine. And if you need better, you can get yourself a $100 DAC and be good to go. Inversely, you can think of this as $22 to add HDMI input to any DAC with Toslink/Coax input!

I am going to put the Amazon Basics HDMI Extractor on my recommended list. It is an incredible bargain.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
I was puzzled by
Power is provided with a supplied USB-A to barrel (9 volt) connector.
but of course it's the usual USB 5.0 V.

GiBo61

Considering that the Audio Chromecast is not available anymore, I guess it's a cheap and valid solution to extract HighRes audio from a Video Chromecast for streaming music from a smartphone to your DAC or amplifier.

Last edited:

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
The optical output of my new LC C1 TV was not connecting reliably with my older Anthem (non-ARC) receiver so I bought an HDMI splitter which has worked like a dream. Passes UHD video to the TV and HDMI audio to the Anthem. No glitches. Only downside is Apple TV no longer triggers on the Anthem.

Would love to see the latest gen streamers, like Apple TV 4K, tested for SINAD. And not practical but someone needs to shine a light on LG optical output. Annoying that it does not work when my decade old Samsung had no problems.

Morpheus

Forum Donor
Good find, double tap style!..You solved my problem and doubts about getting proper sound from my TV/Box AND quenched Black Friday frenzy with limited colateral damaged, well done.!
Now, if I could get some similar style Toslink or SPDIF input switcher before my DAC to enlarge the number of available sources, I would be golden. Do you have anything like that in the test pipeline, or has anyone tested a good one before that I don't know of? Thank you..

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Amazon Basics 4K HDMI extractor. Member kindly purchased and drop shipped it to me. It normally costs $22.89 but was on sale for just $5!!!
View attachment 245854
The case is the standard metal one for these kinds of adapters. Power is provided with a supplied USB-A to barrel (9 volt) connector. I powered it using the hub in my computer monitor. As you see a nice switch forces the digital output to be either stereo or 5.1.

View attachment 245855

Pass-through HDMI connector is naturally provided as well as Toslink, Coax and analog stereo 3.5mm outputs.

Amazon Basics HDMI Extractor Analog Measurements
I started testing by feeding it HDMI and capturing analog output:
View attachment 245856

Not very pretty but hard to expect anything more remotely close to this price point. Output is low by desktop DAC standards but should be enough to drive most amplifiers.

I was pleasantly surprised by the dynamic range being nearly 16 bits:
View attachment 245857

I could tell there was jitter from the dashboard and our dedicated test shows that and then some:
View attachment 245858

Linearity indicates some kind of truncation to 16 bits:
View attachment 245859

IMD test shows high noise+distortion:
View attachment 245860

Paradoxically, multitone response is quite respectable:
View attachment 245864

That is like due to lower output level used in Multitone test.

Frequency response is good:
View attachment 245861

Filtering of out of band, not so good:
View attachment 245862

Which causes problems for our wideband noise and distortion test:
View attachment 245863

Amazon Basics HDMI Extractor Digital Performance:
I hooked up to the coax output and got this dashboard:
View attachment 245865

146 dB is the ideal performance of 24 bit PCM data and we are getting that. This means that the device transparently passes the digital data from HDMI to Coax with no funny conversion to 16 bits and such. This means you can hook up your own high-performance DAC and get proper analog output.

Conclusions
It is incredible how cheap electronic devices can get despite their complexities. Here we not only have an HDMI extractor but a DAC as well. To have this full functionality ship for total of $22 is incredible. No, the DAC is nothing to write home about but for everyday use it should be fine. And if you need better, you can get yourself a $100 DAC and be good to go. Inversely, you can think of this as $22 to add HDMI input to any DAC with Toslink/Coax input!

I am going to put the Amazon Basics HDMI Extractor on my recommended list. It is an incredible bargain.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

carlosmante

In these days where English is the standard for tech components, it's conspicuous to see every label in French and Spanish too. Even "DC" is translated to "CC"!

This is a good point!

Great review!
Even "DC" is translated to "CC"! Sometimes "CD" is used, Corriente Directa. AC is translated to CA, Corriente Alterna.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I love mine. I use a fire TV stick into a 7-in monitor on my desktop in the audio goes to my RME-ADI-2 DAC FS. And then to either Genelec speakers or headphones. I can watch baseball or stream YouTube videos, etc. The sound quality is excellent. I also highly recommend the monitor. LONCEVON-7 inch Mini Monitor Small HDMI Monitor HD 1080P VGA Monitor LCD Screen HDMI Display for Raspberry PI/Camera/PC/Mac Mini/TV; IPS 1024X600 Pixels, Build in Speakers & Earphone Jack https://a.co/d/e5BdJuu

Attachments

• PXL_20220510_201915569.jpg
    PXL_20220510_201915569.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 148

Liya

• Supports up to 4k video resolution; 8-bit 4K (30 Hz), 12-bit 1080p (60 Hz) or 12-bit 720p / 1080i (60 Hz) plus 3D formats
this is video support of the reviewed Amazon extractor.
Below is latest Apple tv:

SDR video with AVC/HEVC (Main/Main 10 profile) up to 2160p, 60 fps

Dolby Vision (Profile 5) up to 2160p, 60 fps

HDR10+/HDR10/HLG with HEVC (Main 10 Profile) up to 2160p, 60 fps

If anyone is thinking to use this Amazon device with Apple tv and have Dolby Vision on a 4k tv + audio to the dac, it wont work.

Liya

Amazing product. Wow. I voted great as always I am really curious why people voted differently.
because it can only pass thru very limited 4k signal.
btw, are there any extractors, at any price, that can do better than this on the video front?

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
because it can only pass thru very limited 4k signal.
btw, are there any extractors, at any price, that can do better than this on the video front?

Yes, this will do 4K @ 60 Hz HDR10 without issue -> https://www.monoprice.com/product?p...Lzs8Ved6a8QpqTUCkntys5aZwezrHNKBoCBrkQAvD_BwE.

It also works with Dolby Vision but is a bit unreliable on an AppleTV 4K. It is OK if you set the format to always use Dolby Vision but sometimes it will not work if switching formats based on the source format. Not sure if this is an AppleTV issue, a TV issue or an extractor issue (or a combination).

Michael

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Michal

I am looking for a USB to HDMI extractor based on XMOS chip. Has anyone ever seen something like this.

Repdetect

Forum Donor
I have ordered an Aiyima D03 as it will suit many of my needs except one, playing music via the analog inputs. Apparently the ADC is very poor.
Would it make sense for me to get an hdmi to optical extractor so that I can input the music digitally?

Love to hear from Toku on this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom