• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazon Basics 4K HDMI Extractor Review

Rate this HDMI Extractor

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 78 45.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 63 36.8%

• Total voters

Monster

This is my first 'real' post which I hope may be useful to someone.

I am using one these HDMI audio extractors to stream from Amazon Music Unlimited to a Fire TV HD stick then to my SMSL DAC over coax. This is done 'headless', casting music using Alexa cast from my android phone with no TV or display attached. When I first installed this I was finding that every three or four minutes there was an audio dropout lasting about a second.

After a lot of messing about, I noticed that when I had the output from the HDMI extractor plugged into the TV, for instance for changing settings on the Fire Stick, then the dropouts didn't occur. The solution, as I'm sure many here have already figured out, was one of these plugged into the extractor's HDMI output. No more dropouts.

I must admit, until I had this problem I didn't know these 'ghost' monitor EDID plugs existed, but then you learn something new every day.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The solution, as I'm sure many here have already figured out, was one of these plugged into the extractor's HDMI output.
Oh, thanks - you may just have solved a separate (not audio related) problem of mine. I've just ordered one to find out.

Esque

Anyone else experiencing unlistenable stutter with this device?

Bought this to use chromecast as a headless streamer to the digital input on my amp.
However I’m experiencing audio stutter at every second.

I’ve tried a different coax cable, toslink out. Analog out, multiple HDMI sources, a few USB power supplies.

I also tried connecting my Mac so I can manually select channels and sample rate.

All result in a similar issue, am I doing something wrong or is my unit faulty?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If this is also happening on analogue out, with two sources - chromecast and mac -, then it sounds like yours is faulty.

Monster

Anyone else experiencing unlistenable stutter with this device?

Bought this to use chromecast as a headless streamer to the digital input on my amp.
However I’m experiencing audio stutter at every second.

I’ve tried a different coax cable, toslink out. Analog out, multiple HDMI sources, a few USB power supplies.

I also tried connecting my Mac so I can manually select channels and sample rate.

All result in a similar issue, am I doing something wrong or is my unit faulty?

No guarantees, but this may be a similar problem to the one I described in my earlier post. The fix that I found was cheap enough to try.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
This is my first 'real' post which I hope may be useful to someone.

I am using one these HDMI audio extractors to stream from Amazon Music Unlimited to a Fire TV HD stick then to my SMSL DAC over coax. This is done 'headless', casting music using Alexa cast from my android phone with no TV or display attached. When I first installed this I was finding that every three or four minutes there was an audio dropout lasting about a second.

After a lot of messing about, I noticed that when I had the output from the HDMI extractor plugged into the TV, for instance for changing settings on the Fire Stick, then the dropouts didn't occur. The solution, as I'm sure many here have already figured out, was one of these plugged into the extractor's HDMI output. No more dropouts.

I must admit, until I had this problem I didn't know these 'ghost' monitor EDID plugs existed, but then you learn something new every day.
Nor me. I wonder if there's anything active in there, or it just acts as a high impedance terminator?

Esque

My Mac recognizes it as a 1920x1080 display. Ordered the dummy plugs but I’m doubtfull it will have affect.

Top Bottom