• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amazon Basics 12 gauge speaker cable

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Because I'm gullible. Even if it is psycho-somatic, an imagined benefit is still a benefit right?

No. Just silliness.

ps You meant psychoacoustic? It does resemble an issue among those who are more psycbosomatic perhaps....

Last edited:

MikeyD

No. Just silliness.

ps You meant psychoacoustic? It does resemble an issue among those who are more psycbosomatic perhaps....

No, psychosomatic was what I meant, as in even if my ears imagine a difference because my brain believes there's one, then it's still benefiting me, even if it's not real haha.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Semantics to an extent I suppose. Still covered by the umbrella of the other, tho. Just kinda silly in any case. If it makes you feel better by going this route, who knows.....

ps the very idea that someone would doubt basic cable science is borne out somewhat by the beliefs built up via marketing and reviews-shilling-as-marketing

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cheaper "copper" wire turns green with corrosion after a few months, even inside my home. After 4 years, this wire still looks shiny and new.
As a chemical engineer who has performed a number of corrosion studies, I struggle to understand how this could be. There's no reason for "cheap" copper to corrode more quickly unless there are substantial metallic impurities that are causing galvanic effects.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
As a chemical engineer who has performed a number of corrosion studies, I struggle to understand how this could be. There's no reason for "cheap" copper to corrode more quickly unless there are substantial metallic impurities that are causing galvanic effects.

Maybe not the wire but the insulation? Cheaper plastic not sealing, outgassing more, or something like that? Metallurgy is not my thing...

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe not the wire but the insulation? Cheaper plastic not sealing, outgassing more, or something like that? Metallurgy is not my thing...

I seem to remember at least some discolored cables the issue was due to the particular insulation formulation used....something about the PVC degrading?

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I seem to remember at least some discolored cables the issue was due to the particular insulation formulation used....something about the PVC degrading?

I recall that too, but I am an EE, not a ChemE or chemist... I'll see what @MaxBuck says, this is not my area of expertise!

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
PVC, because of its high chlorine content, creates some HCl, an acid (not to mention dioxins)...

Dunno quantitatively

Top Bottom