• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AMA about the Topping L30

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
Dear All, my L30 finally arrived after 1½ months of wait. I ordered when the device was on backorder from Audiophonics.
Why? Because after many years (since 2010) of not thinking my AKG K701 sounded good (or loud enough) for my taste. I thought I would take the plunge and order a dedicated headphone AMP and see what all the fuss was about (both concerning the L30 and the AKG's).

Ask away :)

Hope this helps potential buyers (if the measurements (link #1, #2, ...) don't already do this). So far these are my initial impressions:
  • Absolutely bonkers price/performance - Worth special attention: ½kg AC-AC PSU, dead silent when on and relay controlled outputs.
  • The L30 feels very solid and robust when holding it - very nice material use!
  • Jack-to-Mini-Jack adaptor included in the box
  • Weight: L30 = 350gr / PSU = 585gr!
  • The PSU is a true < insert voltage here > AC to 15V AC unit. I think the designer @JohnYang1997 mentioned somewhere (can't find the post) that this is done so that the individual areas within the device can convert to whatever they need (either AC or DC) since some prefer AC and others DC.
    • Haven't felt this heft in a PSU (icon core) for a loooong time, ever since SMPS became the norm.
    • PSU doesn't have any audible humn og "buzz"
    • Approx. 90cm power cable (barrel-plug)
  • The GAIN levels (-9dB, 0dB and 9dB) on the front also control the pre-out level - So whatever is connected to the pre-out will be either amplified (+9dB) or whatever the opposite is called (-9dB)
  • For my AKG K701's I have the GAIN set to 0dB and my DAC (Sanskrit MKII v2) set to 0dB
    • The bass on the AKG's don't disappoint with this device, I haven't heard these overears sound this good - Actually the whole point of buying this amp!
    • DAC Sanskrit MKII v2 at 0dB
  • In either Pre or HPA mode the opposite (non-selected) output is dead silent.
    • When switching between output modes the L30 makes a subtle relay-click sound - So I'm guessing it uses relays :)
  • Getting a banana for scale (soon) - My (inner) monkey ate the last one
  • When powered, in HPA-mode (not playing music), the device' outside temp is anywhere around ~28-32'C (@23'C room temp) - This temp doesn't change even when playing music at full volume.
UPDATE 15/9-2020: After a couple of days listening I can finally tell the difference between my two pairs of headphones because I'm not longer missing the power to drive dem (mostly the AKG's):
  • My SONY MDR-1RBT (cabled) sound ok, the closed design results in a narrow soundstage. Although bass is tighter than the AKG's. They're also heavy (because of battery and other circuitry - although this is nothing new) hence not as comfortable as my AKG's.
  • My AKG K701 sound very good, the soundstage is wide (open back design), but I must admit the fatigue sets in at moderate to high volume because the highend is a bit "too high". Also these are lacking in bass (even with and without the bassmod)
  • I now have the listening pleasure to find my next pair of headphones (preferably over-ear) - So far at play are the HD 660S or the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro. I considered a pair of GRADO's with the many rave reviews of their different models, but a big minus on these are comfort (so I'm told) and my headphones need to be comfy.

Attachments

• box.jpg
    box.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 362
  • L30.jpg
    L30.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 427
  • L30_weight.jpg
    L30_weight.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 382
  • psu_weight.jpg
    psu_weight.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 358
Last edited:
OP
ichonderoga

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
This was a good piece of information. I couldn't find it elsewhere.
Yeah - It's a chunky boiieee! I can only imagine that there must be some kind of increased freight cost when sending these around the world. My 15W USB-C (SMPS) charger weighs 40gr.

Last edited:
OP
ichonderoga

ichonderoga

Forum Donor

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How long is the PSU cable?

Assuming all regions are same length, its a metre or less (plugged in and dont fancy dragging the rack out from the wall

EDIT- I'd go with @ichonderoga - lets put it this way, you need to plug it on the same side of an AV rack as your plug socket/ strip.

Veri

Master Contributor
thumbnail_Image.jpg

Currently using PecanPi USB (Rev. 1) into Topping L30. Cute little stack :) (keeping the sticker labels on the L30 atm because my OCD likes that)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 83236

Currently using PecanPi USB (Rev. 1) into Topping L30. Cute little stack :) (keeping the sticker labels on the L30 atm because my OCD likes that)

What are you running at -9 with that chunky cable? Barring my Grado, Ive found most full sized cans suit 0db (I dont like to go past 3 o clock on any amp even though I know its meaningless)

Veri

Master Contributor
What are you running at -9 with that chunky cable? Barring my Grado, Ive found most full sized cans suit 0db (I dont like to go past 3 o clock on any amp even though I know its meaningless)
Well, the PecanPi outputs around 5V/2.5V in XLR/RCA which explains the bump in volume. My main cans are AD2000 which are quite sensitive, too :) the chunky cable is just an SE adapter made from gotham cable & neutrik jack. With my HD650s I'm on unity gain or even +9dB on classical tracks.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, the PecanPi outputs around 5V/2.5V in XLR/RCA which explains the bump in volume. My main cans are AD2000 which are quite sensitive, too :) the chunky cable is just an SE adapter made from gotham cable & neutrik jack. With my HD650s I'm on unity gain or even +9dB on classical tracks.

ATH AD2000? Headphone twin!!! (0db at around noon for me but DAC is a couple of notches down from full and -3db preamp in Roon.

Veri

Master Contributor
ATH AD2000? Headphone twin!!! (0db at around noon for me but DAC is a couple of notches down from full and -3db preamp in Roon.
You own one too?? Well colour me surprised ;). I love mine a lot, comfort is not always the best but those vocals be popping :D I guess that -9dB works for me either due to 2.5V input or listening to rather low volume? Not sure!

Currently got a HD580 precision in from Ebay which I'm modding for additional comfort & misodiko suede pads. I didn't like it as much at first but it's really growing on me.. plus now I've got beater phones which can get dirty and stuff without me caring :D did I mention the cushy aftermarket earpads?? Starting to like this comfort LOL

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You own one too?? Well colour me surprised ;). I love mine a lot, comfort is not always the best but those vocals be popping :D I guess that -9dB works for me either due to 2.5V input or listening to rather low volume? Not sure!

Currently got a HD580 precision in from Ebay which I'm modding for additional comfort & misodiko suede pads. I didn't like it as much at first but it's really growing on me.. plus now I've got beater phones which can get dirty and stuff without me caring :D did I mention the cushy aftermarket earpads?? I like comfort LOL

I'll PM so as not to derail totally.

OP
ichonderoga

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
View attachment 83236

Yeah those stickers are akin to yesteryears HiFi Stereo emblems ;-)

Last edited:
OP
ichonderoga

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
OP
ichonderoga

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
After a small week of listening, I've splurged on a pair of Sennheiser HD6XX (and so it begins). Most reviews seem to praise them for their great value - So looking forward to the listen. I considered more expensive pairs but need to figure out what sound signature I'm into and they seem to be a good alternative to my (too bright for my ears) AKG's.

OP
ichonderoga

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
View attachment 83236

Great gear. I so considered the PecanPi (b/c of its XLR output) when I was running music from my Volumio/Raspberry and almost did. But ended up using the HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro and have since changed to use my HTPC for music/musicerver + D90.

Veri

Master Contributor
Great gear. I so considered the PecanPi (b/c of its XLR output) when I was running music from my Volumio/Raspberry and almost did. But ended up using the HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro and have since changed to use my HTPC for music/musicerver + D90.
I bought the pecanpi mostly to support a smaller manufacturer featured here :) and it sounds good! Seems very reliable too I don't see it breaking soon if ever. Wish Amir could have measured it.

Top Bottom