• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AMA about the Topping D90 (non-MQA version)

atomicminded

Look forward to the full review.

Honestly, I don't know if I can. Simply, YES, there is about 10db LESS distortion between the D90 and the SU-8. My ears have confirmed this.

You can too. Equipment. PC Foobar2000 -> ASIO Driver -> D90 (0.00db out, full volume) -> Monoprice 887 -> balanced Fostex tr-909.

Play some 24/192 through it. Dont know what else to say. It measures and sounds about as it measures.

OP
ichonderoga

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
@JohnYang1997 I simply love my D90 -- But maybe you can relay this message to the dac team. I would really love the option to turn off the display. Currently there's just 3 dimming options.

THX :)

UPDATE: John got back to me, and said that this feature cannot be added - So no luck.

Last edited:
OP
ichonderoga

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
Which filter mode do you find best and most enjoyable?
They all sound the same to me. So after trying all of them and not being able to hear any difference I also went back to the default filter (3) (sharp roll-off-type filters are generally recommended).

Last edited:

Morla

Forum Donor
Question regarding the volume control. I read you can control the volume in windows and that controls the hardware mixer in the d90?

Is that only possible using a special driver in windows and is that also possible using linux? I have a linux based appliance from cocktailaudio with usb audio out but I want to keep the volume control in the appliance (nicer remote control).

OP
ichonderoga

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
Question regarding the volume control. I read you can control the volume in windows and that controls the hardware mixer in the d90?

Is that only possible using a special driver in windows and is that also possible using linux? I have a linux based appliance from cocktailaudio with usb audio out but I want to keep the volume control in the appliance (nicer remote control).
Correct. Attenuation happens independently both on-device (front + remote buttons) and in Windows (with Topping drivers) - Without signal degradation. I'm unsure how Linux handles this but I'm sure it's the same - ALSA implementation on Linux is solid.

UCrazyKid

I just received my D90 MQA over the weekend and have 3 days of listening and abx with my old DAC rig. Here are my thoughts:
I have been enjoying my new DAC. There certainly is magic in this little box. The Topping D90 MQA certainly brings a sound that really defies its price point. Highly detailed with air and excellent instrument separation. A magnificent sound stage and deep bass. Add to that the incredible versatility to be able to accept any type of input (AES/EBU, Coax, Toslink, USB and I2S) and decode any PCM, DSD, or MQA signal. Very neutral and never harsh or glaring. Looks like it may be replacing my old DAC that was 3x the price but is now 17 years old.
It is interesting to me that there are quite a few similarities to the old DAC. A MSB Gold III with P1000 outboard linear power supply, LME49720 op amps upsampling to 132khz, utilizing 4 Burr-Brown PCM1716 DAC chips to attain really good measurements. It was coupled with an upgraded outboard clock (Monarchy DIP Combo) and fed an AES/EBU signal. https://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_1/msb-tech-gold-link-dac-3-p1000-powerbase-1-2002.html
Similarities in the use of the same op amps and running multiple DACS to benefit from reduced noise floor (AK4499 is a 4 channel DAC).
The improvement from the D90 was more subtle than I thought it would be. However the benefits of flexibility in connections, signals that can be processed and the sheer reduction in foot print (one box instead of 3) makes the shift to the D90 a no brainer for me at this time.
Additionally I am using filter Mode 2. I too fell in the camp of not hearing a difference, then I pulled in my 11 year old daughter (also a pretty accomplished musician) for her thoughts. Her young ears could discern differences in many of the filters and her choice as Mode 2, slow roll off filter as she felt it sounded the most natural and realistic of acoustic instruments. So there it will stay. I do wonder is speaker and amplifier choice makes a difference in hearing the filtering. As my speakers (Dynaudio Confidence C1 Platinums) have a response that ends at 22khz. Perhaps a speaker with a ribbon tweeter or super tweeter with a 30khz roll off the filter differences will be more obvious. It is my understanding too that some amplifiers have low pass filters to remove ultrasonic resonances. I don't really know, but I do trust younger ears... (mine have had 50 years of use/abuse).​
Also a quick shout out to Apos Audio and their owner Paul for answering all my questions and providing a smooth and quick transaction. I have no affiliation other than being a happy customer.​

TonioRoffo

I own two NAD m51 and want to give Topping D90 a try. Considering selling one m51. However I wonder about volume control. In the NAD this works lossless in the digital domain until a certain attenuation is reached. How does the D90 volume control work? Impact on measurements? Thx

UCrazyKid

I own two NAD m51 and want to give Topping D90 a try. Considering selling one m51. However I wonder about volume control. In the NAD this works lossless in the digital domain until a certain attenuation is reached. How does the D90 volume control work? Impact on measurements? Thx
I’m guessing it is about the same. The D90 is a 32-bit machine meaning it has a lot of bits it can throw away to volume control (the NAD claims 35-bits). I assume your source material is likely 24-bits or less to give you that buffer. The complaints I have read about the D90 as a preamp is that the volume control responds too quickly making it difficult to adjust. I think it was measured here as a pre and as a DAC only and showed a little bit of reduction in measurements as a pre but it would be outside the ability for a human to hear. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

TonioRoffo

I’m guessing it is about the same. The D90 is a 32-bit machine meaning it has a lot of bits it can throw away to volume control (the NAD claims 35-bits). I assume your source material is likely 24-bits or less to give you that buffer. The complaints I have read about the D90 as a preamp is that the volume control responds too quickly making it difficult to adjust. I think it was measured here as a pre and as a DAC only and showed a little bit of reduction in measurements as a pre but it would be outside the ability for a human to hear. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.

Thx for the feedback! Does it come with a remote?

UCrazyKid

OP
ichonderoga

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
Lossless volume control :)

1594132335452.png

OP
ichonderoga

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
Great, might take the plunge :)
Doit! Zero regrets for me. I’ve been running the device almost 24/7 since it arrived and it just works. Everything from YouTube to DSD sounds great.

yuriy.ward

Hi, it is worth to invest and buy Topping A90+D90 MQA? Or Topping DX7 PRO will be good enough? ( I have plenty IEMs and only few headphones (Hifiman Sundara and Drop Panda) - I prefer more speakers then full size headphones. currently driving headphones with Aune x1s 10th )

OP
ichonderoga

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
Hi, it is worth to invest and buy Topping A90+D90 MQA? Or Topping DX7 PRO will be good enough? ( I have plenty IEMs and only few headphones (Hifiman Sundara and Drop Panda) - I prefer more speakers then full size headphones. currently driving headphones with Aune x1s 10th )
Plenty of forum material on mentioned devices - Pick your poison :)

NDC

Hey, can anyone with a D90 confirm that bluetooth seems to remain discoverable even when the unit is turned off via the remote? (note: with power button on at the back of the device obviously; remote used to turn the D90 off). My MacBook Air found the D90 while the unit was set to off via remote, when I was searching bluetooth devices, which was interesting.

Edit: Seems to be intentional because when I connect to D90 via BT while it is off via remote, it switches the display on and boots up. Actually seems useful, but freaked me out a little because I realised my neighbours could probably connect via bluetooth to it from the adjacent apartment haha.

OP
ichonderoga

ichonderoga

Forum Donor
Hey, can anyone with a D90 confirm that bluetooth seems to remain discoverable even when the unit is turned off via the remote? (note: with power button on at the back of the device obviously; remote used to turn the D90 off). My MacBook Air found the D90 while the unit was set to off via remote, when I was searching bluetooth devices, which was interesting.

Edit: Seems to be intentional because when I connect to D90 via BT while it is off via remote, it switches the display on and boots up. Actually seems useful, but freaked me out a little because I realised my neighbours could probably connect via bluetooth to it from the adjacent apartment haha.
I've disabled BT on mine, so can't confirm this behavior. But seems smart from what you explain. Think your neighbour would do that? (Even unintentionally)

NDC

I've disabled BT on mine, so can't confirm this behavior. But seems smart from what you explain. Think your neighbour would do that? (Even unintentionally)

I hope not! I’d rather not listen to their music *chuckles*.

Just out of interest, what’s the steps for disabling Bluetooth?

ZenTraveler

Looks like same implementation with DX3 Pro. When OFF it is actually in STANDBY mode, it will wake up when my PC is turned ON or when I just came back and my phone's bluetooth within range will wake up DX3 to pair. Topping also doesn't put security measure such as pin or password required for first time pair. I too end up disable the bluetooth.

Reactions: NDC
Top Bottom