• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Am I wasting money? AVR recommendations.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are there any rca to xlr cable manufacturers you would trust? Minus the serpentes oil, of course. :p
I'd just make my own probably, but believe the Monoprice one works well enough.

Golfx

Forum Donor
Are there any rca to xlr cable manufacturers you would trust? Minus the serpentes oil, of course. :p

Bren Derlin

Thanks a lot for your recs, folks! I'm really lucky that I've found this thread. I've saved some money, so I think I'll buy AVR. I think it's worth it. Btw, guys, how do you save money? I mean, it took me like 2 years to save that sum.

I stopped buying Starbucks and a blueberry muffin every morning. :)

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks a lot for your recs, folks! I'm really lucky that I've found this thread. I've saved some money, so I think I'll buy AVR. I think it's worth it. Btw, guys, how do you save money? I mean, it took me like 2 years to save that sum.
Married a rich woman... seems to have worked out pretty well.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello! Hope everyone is well. We're looking for new receiver for our room. Our budget is a bit over $4000. Unfortunately, it's hard to control the acoustics of the room. We are wanting to do a 5.1.2 setup in a 25x20 room. Our speakers are Bowers and Wilkins 702s2, HTM 72s2, and 706 S2. I'm between Denon, Marantz, or the new Sony line. HDMI 2.1 is important to us for Xbox X. This would obviously be for movies, games, but also 2 channel music as well. I steered far away from Arcam after reading reviews and measurements. Is there any huge benefit to going with a massive receiver with lots of channels when I'm only using it for 7 channels? Another idea I had was purchasing a McIntosh MC8207 (for a fantastic price) and pairing it with a Denon receiver with preouts. Would that be a waste of money? I've gone a little crazy reading lots of reviews from Amir and the rest of you amazing folks and got myself into a rut. I really appreciate any insight. Thank you!

For best measurable performance, the Hypex based amps such as buckeye and Monolith's are among tbe best values. On money no object basis, the 8207 is a great choice. Most power amps will las for a long time but Mcintosh's typically have excellent resale values.

OP
H

HifiLover

Update:

I took the advice of the many that encouraged me to try the x4800 first before purchasing an external amp. However, an external amp is warranted. The speakers need more power for sure.

I was intrigued by the recommendation @ban25 made of Monoprice Monolith 7 ch. Anyone have any experience with it? What about the Emotiva variant? I would love to go with a the NAD M28 or McIntosh. However, the panel of our TV went out. So, budget went down. The pricing blows me away. Anybody have thoughts on either if these two?

My second concern is that Audyssey is killing the 2 channel imaging. Pure Direct sounds more transparent. What in the world could be going on? I turned off midrange compensation and that helped.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Update:

I took the advice of the many that encouraged me to try the x4800 first before purchasing an external amp. However, an external amp is warranted. The speakers need more power for sure.

I was intrigued by the recommendation @ban25 made of Monoprice Monolith 7 ch. Anyone have any experience with it? What about the Emotiva variant? I would love to go with a the NAD M28 or McIntosh. However, the panel of our TV went out. So, budget went down. The pricing blows me away. Anybody have thoughts on either if these two?

My second concern is that Audyssey is killing the 2 channel imaging. Pure Direct sounds more transparent. What in the world could be going on? I turned off midrange compensation and that helped.

Lots of external amps. The ATI-made Monoliths or Outlaws are hard to go wrong with (or go with ATI's own offerings). There are quite a few options using Purifi or Hypex modules too. Emotiva never got me interested enough to buy, they just seem to have issues at inopportune times with too many products, altho that's mostly not their power amps (but there are times they can't repair their amps, too). McIntosh can be nice but expensive (but retain resale value if thats important to you). NAD never got me too excited but am not in Canada either.

As to Audyssey, you may need to experiment more, use the app, use RLO with music, all sorts of adjustments, just saying Audyssey isn't to your liking is hard to say what the issue may/may not be other than simple preference.

OP
H

HifiLover

That's good to hear. I appreciate your feedback on that.

I understand there will still need to be a lot of fine-tuning done with the app. The center Imaging being somewhat crushed is what bugs me the most. I'll have to do a lot more research in that regard.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How loud are you listening? If you go with an external amp, it is also important to look at the gain if you will be using some channels with the x4800H.

McIntosh is never the right answer when budget is included in the equation. You pay a premium for Made in USA, premium for the customer service and resale value, and then there is a premium for the cosmetics. As you can see from the flagship products measured at EAC, the performance is fine.

The HypeX nCore line is used by MCIntosh and Marantz. Going with the ATI HypeX line is good. The Monoprice Monolith HypeX line doesn’t do as well with unbalanced inputs, so you are better going with the Monoloth Class AB ones.

Audyssey is dependent on the target curve. Using the app, I would just copy Room Perfect, and only apply Audyssey to 500Hz and below if you prefer the FR curve of the B&W speakers in your room.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's good to hear. I appreciate your feedback on that.

I understand there will still need to be a lot of fine-tuning done with the app. The center Imaging being somewhat crushed is what bugs me the most. I'll have to do a lot more research in that regard.
What are the specifics when this "happens"? Can't say I've ever experienced that particularly.

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
+1 on applying Audyssey at 500 Hz and below. I also recommend setting both Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume to On. These are very useful when listening below reference levels. Lastly, if you're up for it, give Dirac a try -- I'm quite pleased with the capability in the app on PC/Mac.

OP
H

HifiLover

How loud are you listening? If you go with an external amp, it is also important to look at the gain if you will be using some channels with the x4800H.

McIntosh is never the right answer when budget is included in the equation. You pay a premium for Made in USA, premium for the customer service and resale value, and then there is a premium for the cosmetics. As you can see from the flagship products measured at EAC, the performance is fine.

The HypeX nCore line is used by MCIntosh and Marantz. Going with the ATI HypeX line is good. The Monoprice Monolith HypeX line doesn’t do as well with unbalanced inputs, so you are better going with the Monoloth Class AB ones.

Audyssey is dependent on the target curve. Using the app, I would just copy Room Perfect, and only apply Audyssey to 500Hz and below if you prefer the FR curve of the B&W speakers in your room.
We don't typically listen to our speakers very loud, but from what I've gathered, it seems as if the receiver has to try quite a bit harder to provide the appropriate power for movie tracks (including atmos). Two channel listening seems to be okay, but you do have to crank it a little bit. I believe another user stated that the Bowers & Wilkins 7 Series tend to be power hungry. Which, this very well could be the case. After hitting the number 50 on the receiver you can tell another amp is kicking on trying to handle the workload. At least, that's what the second click sounds like.

Thank you for the info about the hypex versus the ab. I did not know that!

I'm going to play around with the target curve, then. I appreciate you and @ban25 giving me that info.

I also don't mind branching away from it in America if I get the quality and longevity.

What are the specifics when this "happens"? Can't say I've ever experienced that particularly.
Soundstage width is great, but the speakers seem to reappear and don't come across as transparent anymore. The center Imaging between the seems less defined as well.

I was very meticulous with pulling the speakers away from the wall and toeing them in just enough.

Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We don't typically listen to our speakers very loud, but from what I've gathered, it seems as if the receiver has to try quite a bit harder to provide the appropriate power for movie tracks (including atmos). Two channel listening seems to be okay, but you do have to crank it a little bit. I believe another user stated that the Bowers & Wilkins 7 Series tend to be power hungry. Which, this very well could be the case. After hitting the number 50 on the receiver you can tell another amp is kicking on trying to handle the workload. At least, that's what the second click sounds like.

Do you have Eco mode disabled? I think it defaults to auto, which can reduce current.

The B&W is 90 dB efficient and dips to 3.1 ohms. Would generally guesstimate 50W solid power all channels driven which can give you a nice estimate of what volume you can get.

I assume that 82.5 is 0 dB, so at -30 dB your peaks are still to -10 dB.

Golfx

Forum Donor

Thank you for the info about the hypex versus the ab. I did not know that!

I'm going to play around with the target curve, then. I appreciate you and @ban25 giving me that info.

I also don't mind branching away from it in America if I get the quality and longevity.

Soundstage width is great, but the speakers seem to reappear and don't come across as transparent anymore. The center Imaging between the seems less defined as well.

I was very meticulous with pulling the speakers away from the wall and toeing them in just enough.

above are websites for Hypex Class D amps.

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
50 (-30 dB) is still pretty quiet. The AVR has a lot of headroom left. Recommend you set your volume scale to Relative. You'll hear a few relay clicks as you turn the volume up and switch voltage rails. Also not a bad idea to invest in an SPL meter to see what kind of levels you are listening to at your main seating position.

Top Bottom