• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Am i sick

yigitboy

As little time passes after my purchase, i start to hear imperfections more and more. I cant use anything more than 3 month. It happened again after buying my first planar monolith m1060. It was an eye opener at the begining. Today i am playing with EQ to get better sq than oratory's setup. Am i sick or what?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

sailor2005

Evet
As little time passes after my purchase, i start to hear imperfections more and more. I cant use anything more than 3 month. It happened again after buying my first planar monolith m1060. It was an eye opener at the begining. Today i am playing with EQ to get better sq than oratory's setup. Am i sick or what?
Evet :)

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My definition of "audiophile" is the excess energy that remains unrequited, even after getting a great system. Some folks think endlessly about the next cable or footer. On this site folks have spent a cumulative million hours, probably, messing with DSP and REW and adding subwoofers and moving them a quarter-inch at a time.

The trick would be to move that urge and energy into exploring the next album, the next composer, the next performance ... that way lies happiness, I hope.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Momma call the doctor...

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Perhaps more cowbell?

1618957409867.png

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
There is definitely too much time spent in the world tweaking. You're definitely not going to enjoy music if you are listening for flaws either in the recording or the system. Find an EQ that sounds about right and assuming your kit can drive your transducers sufficiently, just enjoy it.

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Stop listening to the system and start listening to the music.

Tks

Major Contributor
Sick? If this is true, we need you in a lab along with Rob Watts. Your powers of peeception grow indefinately as you becomes longer exposed to certain gear and can hear its imperfections?

Like after you are done hearing speakper imperfection, do start then hearing AMPs, DAC's, and soon after, interconnects?

In all seriousness, you are simply bored id wager.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Stop paying attention to the mags/blogs/vlogs and make up your own mind to start. If you like to shop a lot you may be lost already.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

What you are experiencing is what I like to call 'brain-in'.
You get used to the sound. And as you get used to it some of the things that might have been impressive before (certain dips or peaks) that may work well on first impression may start to irritate on some recordings and you will find the flaws.

It's like meeting a beautiful person you're totally in love with. After a while and serious commitment you start seeing more and more 'negatives' about him/her/(or whatever they like to call themselves) you didn't see when you met him/her/(or whatever they like to call themselves) where others would live gladly with but you don't.
Sometimes new clothes/make-up (EQ) helps (for a while?)

So not sick... you just fell in love and finally came to your senses. A.k.a. 'New Toy Syndrome'

Last edited:

hawk01

Sick maybe, but tired absolutely

you have to establish a firm foundation on why you went into this hobby in the first place. like some or most of us, it may probably be to enjoy the music with realistic expectations of whatever quality gear you acquire in the process. on the get go this may be a hit or miss learning process until you develop a preference as your palate matures. you and you alone will decide where to draw boundaries on where those realistic expectations begin or end. the journey ends when you find contentment and begin to enjoy the music. the endless agony starts when you begin to listen for imperfections, coz there will NEVER be perfection, coz it does not exist in audiophilia!

Top Bottom