• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Am I ruining my sound with insulation?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I don't see the cancelation by multiple speakers in your graphs? All of your together is louder than single speakers, except where you apparently have room/something cancelations (in single speaker and in together measurements), but those are not multiple speaker issues.

48Hz is a bottomless pit when both speakers excite the room simultaneously.

220Hz is dipole wall behind the speaker cancellation.

1/48th smoothing after room correction.

1628038943158.png

The 48Hz dip isn't noticeable, didn't know it was there until measured, and mostly disappears (might appear someplace else) with material that has stereo bass.

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That is a question only you can answer. Is it worth it to you?

If you do go that route, I'd suggest a motu m2 or focus rite 2i2 interface with a Dayton emm-6 microphone.

You can do a lot more with that setup than a USB microphone. Biggest benefit is easy loop backs. Then you can run Open Sound Meter.
Why would OP need an interface simply to measure his speakers? Just plug the UMIK into a computer and off you go.

Also @Snoochers once you buy a UMIK (from anywhere) you download the calibration file for it from the MiniDSp website.

OP
S

Snoochers

The equipment in here has probably cost like 20$k + so getting a microphone to confirm the quality seems wise. I don’t know if I’d want to get a processor or DSP on top of it all though

Jdunk54nl

Why would OP need an interface simply to measure his speakers? Just plug the UMIK into a computer and off you go.

Also @Snoochers once you buy a UMIK (from anywhere) you download the calibration file for it from the MiniDSp website.
Because you can do a lot more with that setup than a USB microphone. USB microphones are great. I own 3. But they can't do the same things (2 mentioned earlier) that a proper interface and xlr microphone can.

There are too many clock drift issues when you try to get fancy with USB microphones.

We are also talking about like $150-$200 compared to $80. So it's not a huge difference in price when we could buy A LOT of microphones for the cost of most of our equipment

Jdunk54nl

48Hz is a bottomless pit when both speakers excite the room simultaneously.

220Hz is dipole wall behind the speaker cancellation.

1/48th smoothing after room correction.

View attachment 145369

The 48Hz dip isn't noticeable, didn't know it was there until measured, and mostly disappears (might appear someplace else) with material that has stereo bass.
Ah, the first graph made it look more like all three dipped at the same spot. An all pass filter could probably fix half of that. Not fixing right at 50hz though, but could fix like 35-45hz. If you have all pass filters available.

Top Bottom