• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Am I making a mistake?

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Selling my salon2's and going active with D&D 8c? Add in the fact this would be a blind exchange since I have never heard the 8c's.
About 80-20 music to home theater ratio of listening. The room is ~12x18ft
If you have had a bad day or are angry with your spouse, feel free to unleash on me here. I can take it. All opinions are welcomed

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A mistake? In what way? What are your concerns? Do you feel somehow limited by the Salon2's?

Ok but assuming you will get some cash out of the deal to put towards getting different speakers and a new power amp in the future
gear acquisition syndorme
lol

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you keep the Salon 2s and get the D&D first? That way if it is a mistake you sell the D&D at a slight loss. Not as costly as losing the Salons, finding out it was a mistake and having to sell those plus scare up some more Salons. If it is instead a smart move, you go ahead with the Salon sale knowing you made the right decision.

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok but assuming you will get some cash out of the deal to put towards getting different speakers and a new power amp in the future
gear acquisition syndorme
lol
not sure about that but i regularly look behind seat cushions for just that reason

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Selling my salon2's and going active with D&D 8c? Add in the fact this would be a blind exchange since I have never heard the 8c's.
About 80-20 music to home theater ratio of listening. The room is ~12x18ft
If you have had a bad day or are angry with your spouse, feel free to unleash on me here. I can take it. All opinions are welcomed
Not at all! You will have first hand knowledge of one of the top passives versus one of the top actives. It will be great for the rest of us to learn from your mistakes experience.

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you keep the Salon 2s and get the D&D first? That way if it is a mistake you sell the D&D at a slight loss. Not as costly as losing the Salons, finding out it was a mistake and having to sell those plus scare up some more Salons. If it is instead a smart move, you go ahead with the Salon sale knowing you made the right decision.
only if you give me the $12+k. to buy the salons You game?

sounds like a plan that just didn't pan out that I'd tell a certain someone who would then be asking me why there are even more speakers and cables in this room? lol
but seriously don't know the D&Ds but of course the Salon2s are exceptional

OP
M

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
sounds like a plan that just didn't pan out that I'd tell a certain someone who would then be asking me why there are even more speakers and cables in this room? lol
but seriously don't know the D&Ds but of course the Salon2s are exceptional
part of the rationale, of course, would be explaining to that certain someone how this new set if speakers will REDUCE the number of cables in the room. Looking for every angle to make this work

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
part of the rationale, of course, would be explaining to that certain someone how this new set if speakers will REDUCE the number of cables in the room. Looking for every angle to make this work
So I guess that leaves out using the Salons for surround duty?

I would have thought your room size was on the small side for Salons, and the D&D probably will work better in that space. Having never heard the D&D hard to say. Have you gotten the chance to listen to a pair somewhere? I do think hearing speakers prior to buying is worthwhile.

noobie1

I've not heard the 8c in person but have listened to Kii 3's in a dedicated (large treated) listening room. At least one person here has commented that Kii's and 8c offer similar sound/performance (8c having slightly better bass extension). The Kii's sounded nice but I generally prefer well-made passives in Salon 2's class (Magico, TAD, Rockport) by a wide margin.

denydog

It would be a mistake for me to buy speakers that I have not listened to beforehand. But I am me and you are you.

Fun fact; I listened to a pair of demo speakers, from Amir's store, in my house for four months. Thanks Amir! (not sure he was aware, haha), though I would have preferred not tot have waited so long for the permanent pair. At least I had something good to listen to while waiting.

Last edited:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
You will not be disappointed, for a start you get back 1.5 metres more of your room, and overhang free bass into the bargain, full range , phase coherent, perfect step response, constant directivity and cardioid through the midrange, ability to adjust tone and 24 built in pEqs.
The 8Cs are the speaker Revel ( and many other traditional manufacturers) should be making.
Keith

Top Bottom