• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Am I doing this right? ADI-2 -> {subwoofer} -> Topping PA5

RootsMagoots

Forum Donor
I just set up a pair of Revel M16s that I had left over from my HT setup. I have them going PC -> ADI-2 DAC FS -> Topping PA5. However, the low end is pretty bad in some songs (for example, SadSvit - Casette is jarring). This is a desktop/PC setup, so it's nearfield and not an ideal situation for the M16s in the first place. But it's what I got. I want to add a subwoofer. I can't add one directly with the ADI-2 since it is not a pro model and will play the speakers full range. So I believe this means I need a studio subwoofer with balanced in/out. The JBL LSR310S is pretty cheap right now ($299 USD), but the Adam T10S is also quite affordable.

Can I just hook one of these up directly to the ADI-2, then go subwoofer -> PA5 -> speakers? Since it's nearfield and just for use while I work on my PC, I don't need maximum fidelity. My only real concern is that it might sound off or be out of sync. It looks like most of these subwoofers are meant to be used with their respective brand's active speakers.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
It should generally work as intended. Watch out for caveats like transformer hum or modestly sensitive auto-off circuits (an issue for one guy with the T10S).

I don't see why the sound would ever be out of sync. A typical analog crossover has basically zero delay, and even if it were a DSP job both sub and main outputs would be passing through the same signal chain and exhibit the same delay.

OP
R

RootsMagoots

Forum Donor
It should generally work as intended. Watch out for caveats like transformer hum or modestly sensitive auto-off circuits (an issue for one guy with the T10S).

I don't see why the sound would ever be out of sync. A typical analog crossover has basically zero delay, and even if it were a DSP job both sub and main outputs would be passing through the same signal chain and exhibit the same delay.
Thank you, I went ahead with it, and it's all working really well!

Top Bottom