• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Alternatives to Topping MX3?

JMC

I recently purchased a Topping MX3 which is a fantastic device providing a multiple input (USB, SPDIF, COAX) DAC, line level input, headphone amp and amplifier which can power speakers. I am going to keep it for use mostly as a computer based headphone amp, but I have a TV based system with external speakers for which I need a DAC and amplifier (headphone amp not needed) and was wondering whether there were any similar devices which I should look at?
Requirements:
1) DAC with multiple (USB, SPDIF, Coax), switched inputs
2) Amplifier to power small, bookshelf type speakers

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not sure why u wouldn't go for Topping MX3 if the experience was positive? How is it? Good,bad,ugly?

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here's my exp with Alientek D8. Sound thru spdif or USB was too tinny, lifeless, lacking mids. However when fed thru another DAC to RCA input of D8 - sound was much better. I then learned that those cheap Class D devices tend to be lacking in PSU dept, so I bought some meaty fancy Power supply. Sound improved more. Then that external DAC died. Then I got Yamaha AV receiver, which solved cable and switching and other issues. So Alientek D8 is downstairs as a headphone amp only unit (again from RCA input). Headphone output works really well for very insensitive headphones. Overall - I'd avoid these chinese all-in-ones and get cheapest AV receiver - it will have proper power, subwoofer out with crossover, headphone out, bluetooth, 5.1 and DTS decoder, equalizer, speaker distance and power optimizer (YPAO), and even internet streaming.

Reactions: JMC
OP
J

JMC

Not sure why u wouldn't go for Topping MX3 if the experience was positive? How is it? Good,bad,ugly?

It has been very good. I have dropped it into 2 systems where it has been compared against electronics costing significantly more (e.g Naim Audio) and it has not been embarrassed. For the price it is an incredible bargain.

Top Bottom