• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Alternatives to Monolith HTP-1 for Dirac?

OP
R

radio3

The main problem with the HTP1 is.... its availability. It has been out of stock since last September/October and we still don't know when it will be back in stock as of now.
That's what made we wonder if it was going to be replaced. Why let stock run low and then out for 6 months otherwise? But maybe it is the chip shortage or something.

I guess things are between the JBL SDP-55 and the HTP-1 for me then. I'll be running 5.4.4 Genelec monitors and Arendal subs. The problem with active monitors is it's twice as many cables running everywhere. I wondered if Dante might at least let me tuck the processor into a closet or something and use less intrusive internet cables and sockets for the signal component of all the cabling. Any thoughts on that from anyone would be appreciated. I guess I'm a newbie on home theater. Excited to have so many Genelecs (8341s up front, 8030s in back, and 8020s up above). But it seems like a huge number of cables and wondering what to do about that -- never really appreciated the simplicity of cheap and slip electrical wire that passive speakers use until now.

poopy

That's what made we wonder if it was going to be replaced. Why let stock run low and then out for 6 months otherwise? But maybe it is the chip shortage or something.

I guess things are between the JBL SDP-55 and the HTP-1 for me then. I'll be running 5.4.4 Genelec monitors and Arendal subs. The problem with active monitors is it's twice as many cables running everywhere. I wondered if Dante might at least let me tuck the processor into a closet or something and use less intrusive internet cables and sockets for the signal component of all the cabling. Any thoughts on that from anyone would be appreciated. I guess I'm a newbie on home theater. Excited to have so many Genelecs (8341s up front, 8030s in back, and 8020s up above). But it seems like a huge number of cables and wondering what to do about that -- never really appreciated the simplicity of cheap and slip electrical wire that passive speakers use until now.
One of the major concerns is if they are redesigning the DAC board using now ESS chips. In that case, I personally wouldn't venture buying it without a new set of measurements. May end up measure as bad as the AV40.

Otherwise in the same case as you, JBL may be a better solution. Or simply waiting another year for this chip shortage to be resolved and the issues around HDMI 2.1 to be resolved once and for all.

paulgyro

The other thing not mentioned in this thread is that the HTP-1 isn't recommended by Amir. Even more surprising is that no AVR/AVP that has Dirac Live that has been tested is recommended! Or am I missing something?

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The other thing not mentioned in this thread is that the HTP-1 isn't recommended by Amir. Even more surprising is that no AVR/AVP that has Dirac Live that has been tested is recommended! Or am I missing something?
Why does the recommendation matter to you? Read the reviews. He is basically comparing the electronics performance to stereo DACs with 0 functionality. But there's absolutely no audible difference in the performance of an HTP-1 and whatever the newest flavor of the month 120dB SINAD stereo DAC is. Especially not over speakers in a domestic HT/room.

The reasons that caused the HTP-1 to get no recommendation were lacklustre distortion for a $4K product(still better than average for AVRs...) and low maximum output. It works fine at 4V though, and while there are some weird stereo amps that might want more than this(like the Benchmark in low-gain mode only), it's pretty unusual and even more unusual for multi-channel HT amps.

You have to take the AVR/AVP reviews on here with a grain of salt. I only use them to decide if something seems broken or not broken. The HTP-1 is not broken. The rest of the stuff, like all the functionality and Dirac Live are not tested at all.

The real reason not to buy an HTP-1 is that it's getting rather long in the tooth, it's out of stock until... someday, and it should really be updated to HDMI 2.1 soon, I would hope. Also it has no OSD which is something I've always thought was pretty stupid, lol.

paulgyro

Why does the recommendation matter to you? Read the reviews. He is basically comparing the electronics performance to stereo DACs with 0 functionality. But there's absolutely no audible difference in the performance of an HTP-1 and whatever the newest flavor of the month 120dB SINAD stereo DAC is. Especially not over speakers in a domestic HT/room.

The reasons that caused the HTP-1 to get no recommendation were lacklustre distortion for a $4K product(still better than average for AVRs...) and low maximum output. It works fine at 4V though, and while there are some weird stereo amps that might want more than this(like the Benchmark in low-gain mode only), it's pretty unusual and even more unusual for multi-channel HT amps.

You have to take the AVR/AVP reviews on here with a grain of salt. I only use them to decide if something seems broken or not broken. The HTP-1 is not broken. The rest of the stuff, like all the functionality and Dirac Live are not tested at all.

The real reason not to buy an HTP-1 is that it's getting rather long in the tooth, it's out of stock until... someday, and it should really be updated to HDMI 2.1 soon, I would hope. Also it has no OSD which is something I've always thought was pretty stupid, lol.
Why? Because if I drop major coin on a component I'd like to know it performs well objectively in nearly all areas. It seems like that is a difficult thing to obtain given the lack of recommendations so I'm have to choice what is "best" in the areas that matter the most to me.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Just 2 reasons really... boot loop issue and still no DTSX.

azzy_mazzy

as far as i know there isn't any Alternatives outside of Arcam AV41. also it seems these "mid price" AVPs have more reliability problems than lower cost AVRs.

i forgot about the AudioControl XR-6 which IIRC has DLBC already included so you don't have to buy it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom