• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Alternatives to KEF LS50 Wireless (version 1)

musicman567

Hi folks,

I wonder if anyone has some suggestions on alternatives to a set of KEF LS50 Wireless version 1 (active) speakers.

I currently use these active speakers as my computer speakers. (I simply connect them to my computer via USB.)

I bought them, new, in March 2020, and they have served me well for circa 1 year and 10 months.

Sadly, however, they have failed twice in the space of one month.

Getting them sent off to be repaired (again) is a hassle I can do without, and I am now looking at alternatives.

Looking forwards, my current first choice is to simply replace them with a set of KEF LS50 Wireless II's, which I believe are significantly updated from the version 1's. My thinking is that perhaps they may be more reliable.

I'd also need to buy a little Topping D10s (or similar) to connect to my computer as follows: Computer >> USB Cable >> Topping D10s >> Optical or Coax Cable >> KEF LS50 Wireless II right-side/control speaker. This is because, unlike the KEF LS50 Wireless v1's, the KEF LS50 Wireless II's do not support USB-In.

Any alternative suggestions are very much appreciated.

Maximum budget is £2000, and I'm happy to come in below that!

envydd

Forum Donor
Why not buy a LS50 meta passive and get a compact class D amp .... e.g. SMSL AO200? It will be enough for your near field computer speaker needs. Also you can add a compact sub. Passives last a long time, hence I went that route even though the actives made a lot of sense.

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Topping D10 Balanced+Topping PA5+LS50 Meta? This way you wouldn't have to worry about reliability. Analog volume control within arms reach. The Wireless II has features that suit a living room setup but less useful when used as computer speakers.

OP
M

musicman567

Thanks very much for those replies envydd and Eetu -- very much appreciated.

A passive solution (with a DAC+ Amp) is not something I had considered.

Desk space is tight for me -- that is what drew me to active speakers in the first place. However, I may be able to find some space for a solution like KEF LS50 Meta's (pasive speakers) + Topping D10 Balanced (DAC) + Topping PA5, as set-out above.

Thanks again folks.

envydd

Forum Donor
Thanks very much for those replies envydd and Eetu -- very much appreciated.

A passive solution (with a DAC+ Amp) is not something I had considered.

Desk space is tight for me -- that is what drew me to active speakers in the first place. However, I may be able to find some space for a solution like KEF LS50 Meta's (pasive speakers) + Topping D10 Balanced (DAC) + Topping PA5, as set-out above.

Thanks again folks.
Actually the pa5 will uplevel the system even more. I will swap out my small integrated nuprime ida6 desktop amp with my dac+pa5 combo, to power my desktop System (with LS50s)

OP
M

musicman567

Thanks again for that insight envydd -- very much appreciated.

Taiaumun

I was also looking at basic powered speakers with about the same use case as you and picked up a pair of Tannoy Gold 5s. I have tested them by just connecting a streamer and using Airplay 2 and they sound good to my ears. I've ordered a PA5 to go with my E50 & L50 stack so I have options with my other passive speakers, hopefully it will be good small and simple set up for me.

Saw a recent review of the Q Acoustics powered speaker that gave it high marks, have you looked into them?

Tangband

Major Contributor
Hi folks,

I wonder if anyone has some suggestions on alternatives to a set of KEF LS50 Wireless version 1 (active) speakers.

I currently use these active speakers as my computer speakers. (I simply connect them to my computer via USB.)

I bought them, new, in March 2020, and they have served me well for circa 1 year and 10 months.

Sadly, however, they have failed twice in the space of one month.

Getting them sent off to be repaired (again) is a hassle I can do without, and I am now looking at alternatives.

Looking forwards, my current first choice is to simply replace them with a set of KEF LS50 Wireless II's, which I believe are significantly updated from the version 1's. My thinking is that perhaps they may be more reliable.

I'd also need to buy a little Topping D10s (or similar) to connect to my computer as follows: Computer >> USB Cable >> Topping D10s >> Optical or Coax Cable >> KEF LS50 Wireless II right-side/control speaker. This is because, unlike the KEF LS50 Wireless v1's, the KEF LS50 Wireless II's do not support USB-In.

Any alternative suggestions are very much appreciated.

Maximum budget is £2000, and I'm happy to come in below that!
The obvious choice is a pair of Genelec 8330 , with GLM, using the digital spdif out from topping d10s. A cheaper alternativ is 8030c.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably better to work with KEF and see if they will let you consider the unit a lemon and offer you an upgrade path.

I would not go passive personally. I would rather find a proper pro monitor with reliable electronics.

Top Bottom