• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Alternatives to ifi idac2 & ican SE combo

Bogdan V

Hi everyone! First post here :)

Currently using the ifi combo in my destkop system, mainly with headphones (HD6xx and DT770 pro/80 ohm), but would like to also use it in my living room speaker system, connected to AVI ADM9.1 active speakers.
As the idac2 is a USB only device, it will definitely need replacing. My main requirements for a new DAC are: Toslink and BT inputs, pre-amp out, remote control and stability & issue free operation.

I'm looking at a few options:
1. Replace the idac2 with a Topping D50s, as it's the cheapest DAC I've seen that meets all my requirements. Not sure if D50s is indeed hassle free, as the feedback from users seems to be mixed (some users have had issues with it) and it may or may not need a good quality PSU - some say yes, others say no. For peace of mind I'd probably end up upgrading the PSU if faced with that decision, but that will also increase the cost of the whole setup.
Which leads me to option 1.5, which is a higher end DAC with a good built in PSU and a hassle free operation. Something like SU-9, SGD1, X16. Feedback on SU-9 and SGD1 seems to be mixed as well, some bugs and gremlins are still present in these products too (perhaps no better than D50s), only real added benefit being the higher quality PSU.

2. Topping DX7 pro as a one box solution that does it all and would replace both ifi units. It meets all requirements, seems to operate issue free (found very few complaints about it's operation and seems to be have the best quality built of all).
Only concern is the built in headphone amp, it may or may not be an improvement over the ifi ican SE. So it is possible I may spend the 600 euro for the extra features with no added benefit in terms of sound quality.

What do you guys think?

OP
Bogdan V

Bogdan V

If I posted in the wrong section of the forum, I apologize and kindly ask the mods to move it to where it would belong.
Thank you! :)

Top Bottom