• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Alternatives to headphone amp ? schiit magni 3

r3tr0

Hello !

( i apologize in advance if this isnt the right place to post this post )
So, i got schiit magni 3 had it for some years now, and i think its absolutely beast ! problem is though its kind of acting weird lately the right speaker comes and goes if i touch the volume knob volume comes back, distorts the sound and goes away etc..

So, its time to upgrade ! What headphone amp do you guys recommend ? my budget is everything between 100 to 500 euro, my headphones are v-moda m100 ( oldskool aira edition )
I thought about buying either the schiit magni 3+ or the heresy edition, but any alternatives is kool ! I also got schiit loki and its amazing !

Thanks for any reply and sry for my bad english :)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Could be the volume control or a bad output relay or a poor contact somewhere.
Getting just a few years out of it is a bit short though. Faulty volume control pots are something quite common in this price range though.

When you are sure it is the amp I would buy the latest Magni as the new ones now also has DC output protection.
It really does not matter whether you buy the + or Heretic (don't believe the 'this model sounds better' crap you can read everywhere).
Buying a somewhat more expensive model or another brand in the same price range won't get you better longevity or quality.

Last edited:

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Honestly I wouldn't support this company. I would look to buy something from JDS or Geshelli but if you are in EU idk what brands are offered to you.

Wekhrlin

It really does not matter whether you buy the + or Heretic (don't believe the 'this model sounds better' crap you can read everywhere).
Both devices sound very similar to a high degree. However, I cannot confirm that they do not differ at all. With the "+", the highs are clearly rounder and much more pleasant in the long run. With the "heretic", I simply didn't want to listen to music any more after a few hours because the highs (in combination with a DT 1990 Pro) really drilled into my ears. Even if the measurements of the "heretic" are objectively better, they can sound too harsh, depending on the setup. And then, of course, there is the subjective component.

Top Bottom