• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Alternatives to CA CXNv2 for 2in1 DAC/Streamer <$1K?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After considering the Matrix Mini-i Pro 3 I chose the CXN because it integrates Spotify Connect + a companion app, which is not available with the Matrix Mini-i Pro 3.
Sure. The Mini-i 3 Pro only makes sense as a streamer... if you are already a Roon user. There are still advantages over the CXN V2: small form factor, decent headamp, better volume control, or LDAC Bluetooth for those happen to need it. But it is not a "standalone" streamer like the Cambridge.

Would be curious to know how it measures, tho...
gif-animation-wink-1.gif

OP
F

flz

Thanks for all the comments. For better or worse, I don't use Roon. If a 1 box solution within my budget doesn't provide the answer, perhaps I need to consider a 2 box solution. Maybe a Wiim mini streamer connected via optical out to a $300-400 DAC (many good choices as I've learned from this website).

D

Deleted member 23424

perhaps I need to consider a 2 box solution. Maybe a Wiim mini streamer connected via optical out to a $300-400 DAC

BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT THE OP WANTS, STOP SUGGESTING THINGS THAT THE OP DOESN'T WANT. CAN'T YOU READ YOU IDI.....

Oh. You are the OP. As you were.

[facepalm_emoji]

I'd probably have gone down the Wiim route had they been available when I dived into the world of Pi. Look very good, wait for Amir's test first though.

Anyway, this thread was the final straw for me. Amir and his tests are invaluable, the help from the friendlier folk on here most welcome and gratefully received, but life's too short to continually waste it on condescending arrogant narcissistic trolls, account deletion request made.

Best of luck all

dan_uk

BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT THE OP WANTS, STOP SUGGESTING THINGS THAT THE OP DOESN'T WANT. CAN'T YOU READ YOU IDI.....

[facepalm_emoji]

I'd probably have gone down the Wiim route had they been available when I dived into the world of Pi. Look very good, wait for Amir's test first though.

Anyway, this thread was the final straw for me. Amir and his tests are invaluable, the help from the friendlier folk on here most welcome and gratefully received, but life's too short to continually waste it on condescending arrogant narcissistic trolls, account deletion request made.

Best of luck all
:):);)

Liya

Perhaps the OP is not very assertive. There is an interesting 'Groupthink' theory explaining that.

OP
F

flz

Perhaps the OP is not very assertive. There is an interesting 'Groupthink' theory explaining that.
Maybe there's a fine line between being flexible/pragmatic/realistic & betraying one's principles/submitting to groupthink/spineless cowardice. Tough call....Let me say this, one line I won't cross is going into the DIY/Raspberry Pi world. Just not interested, with all due respect & admiration to those that do play in that sandbox.

Liya

'Groupthink is a psychological phenomenon in which people strive for consensus within a group. In many cases, people will set aside their own personal beliefs or adopt the opinion of the rest of the group'
It's not something offensive. It describes all of us. You and me. It is a fascinating topic.

D

Deleted member 23424

Jesus wept. Keep on digging.

Someone makes a suggestion you don't like: they're stupid.

The OP likes the suggestion: the OP is a weak minded fool who doesn't know their own mind.

Have you patronised everyone enough yet? Made yourself look stupid enough yet?
'Groupthink is a psychological phenomenon in which people strive for consensus within a group. In many cases, people will set aside their own personal beliefs or adopt the opinion of the rest of the group'
It's not something offensive. It describes all of us. You and me. It is a fascinating topic.
Oh. Clearly not. What a condescending trumpet.

Incredible set of social skills (and problem solving) on display here.

Especially from someone who jumped in on a 'groupthink' en masse hot take about what the OP needed that was so cold it missed by miles.

This site is wonderful, but toxic, socially challenged people like you and vintage*anker are ruining it.

The treatment that the ill informed $20k DAC bloke Freddy received on here yesterday was appalling.

Add that to you and your chums' performance in this thread today, amongst many others, and I don't see the point in participating.

I want to spread the word of ASR, it's the most important thing in the industry right now. But I don't want to be associated with, or communicate with people like you.

Anyway, just logged in to DM @amirm @BDWoody and @AdamG247 and make sure they received my account deletion request.

roog

Forum Donor
Reading this thread and the tensions that it brings, this is my open call to everyone to engage with others. I hope this doesn't come across as rallying for any one side in this case, it isn't intended as such.

The open protocol computer solution is not for everyone, it may be that some people lack the confidence? perhaps they don't understand, yet? but why not help them as best you can.

But, I can see how knowledgeable people could make a really big difference on this forum," just not in this thread". (which perhaps makes me posting this here all the more inappropriate!) but at the risk of getting hassle here goes:

I for one would really appreciate a thread which examines and tutors 'Computer Dummies' like me to explore the world of RPi solutions with more confidence, by which i mean real, A,B,C....descriptions that assume very limited knowledge . Too many assume that we know what you know and that we are familiar with the language.

What better way to spread the base of people using this stuff and with popularity comes more development to meet demand?

During my ownership of my RPi and allo SPDIF hat I have tried a few solutions, and yet the help out there to help me to solve my problems has always been hard to find, even my close friend a competent computer guy in the office who first encouraged me to take the step didn't want to get drawn in to giving me a little advice, when I needed it. So I tend to follow web articles 'parrot fashion', some are good, some assume too much knowledge for me, they leave gaps where I guess it is obvious to the author. Perhaps i will start a thread, but I fear derision from the ranks.

Why not help, 'spread the love' and more importantly, the enthusiasm, don't just broadcast.

All this from someone who used to Code for Intel 8085s, 6502s, Z80 and 8086 processor based micros back in the 70's and 80's. I now find it hard, really hard!

Last edited:
OP
F

flz

So it seems there are no alternatives for non-Roon users (to my OP). That's fine, tough luck for me but will move on (maybe look at 2 box solution).

On a broader note, Raspberry Pi/DIY projects have been offered as a solution to issues raised on so many threads in the ASR forums - it's the answer to everything! But some of us just aren't technically inclined in that direction. Different strokes for different folks.

dan_uk

So it seems there are no alternatives for non-Roon users (to my OP). That's fine, tough luck for me but will move on (maybe look at 2 box solution).

On a broader note, Raspberry Pi/DIY projects have been offered as a solution to issues raised on so many threads in the ASR forums - it's the answer to everything! But some of us just aren't technically inclined in that direction. Different strokes for different folks.
I’m technical enough to play with Pi’s (worked as an IT techie for 30 years) and have a few of them. I just found every now and then, they don’t appear online… 99% of the time a simple reboot fixes them. I’m happy to offer u any help directly over messages should u want to explore the Pi area.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

FWIW I have had the CXN V2 for a couple of years. The update that brought Roon compatibility made it the perfect device for me. Right up to the point I stopped using Roon. No reliability issues with the CXN though.

F

freemansteve

I worried about outdated apps on my AiO too, because it is intentional forced obsolescence from manufacturers. Like with many TVs and many phones.

I decided that by the time I'm forced to buy into a streaming service, the amp will be old enough to write off (not that costly on the scale of half-decent kit) or I can simply use it as a standard amp fed by a more up to date streamer and/or DAC...

All my music is currently on my RAID/NAS, multiply backed up (and CDs which I can't be bothered to use), and I have the option of putting it all on as little as a 2TB SSD/USB to save power, for a not stupid cost.

Point being that StreamMagic and my AiO will probably serve me for years for my music collection, but people into online services might want to stay agile with the 'net streaming part of their rigs - it's horses for courses as usual!....

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

As a Roon user, I've just hooked up a Chromecast Audio to my DAC of choice and I'm done. Instant streamer setup, even though it isn't a one box solution. More like one box and one puck...

I am another who really isn't interested in a pi based solution for whatever reasons, although they are clearly a great choice for many.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
As a Roon user, I've just hooked up a Chromecast Audio to my DAC of choice and I'm done. Instant streamer setup, even though it isn't a one box solution. More like one box and one puck...

I am another who really isn't interested in a pi based solution for whatever reasons, although they are clearly a great choice for many.

If the OP use case is just streaming from an on line service, I can’t think of a better solution than CCA plus DAC of choice.

I’ve tried Pi with various software. Nothing comes close to streaming via CCA with native app (Spotify, Tidal etc.) for ease of use. So long as you don’t need gapless.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
So long as you don’t need gapless

That would be a deal breaker for me actually, but Roon takes care of it. I believe there are other ways to do it, but haven't had to care.

Mindhead1

I recently picked up a CXN v2 refurb from the CA eBay store for $750 USD. It seems brand new and works great. Prior to the CXN v2 I had been using a RPi running MoOde into my CXA81 (an ASR favorite) and have no complaints with the RPi. It’s a great option.

I was looking for an DAC upgrade with XLR for the RPi and was considering a Bifrost when I came upon the CXN v2 on eBay. Long story short. I like it a lot and the StreamMagic app performs well for Qobuz, AirPlay and the FLAC collection on my Plex server.

At the recently increased price of $1299 I’m probably sticking with my RPi and an externalDAC like the Bifrost. At $750 the CXN v2 is a strong options that integergrates nicely with my setup. I also like being able to feed my headphone amp (X7S) from the RCA out.

mikeTRON250LM

Disparage?

Nothing but friendly advice here.

This site can be truly bizarre at times.

I was in the same position as the OP about six months ago. Other friendly folk on here advised me. Saved me a fortune and subsequently improved my rig in the process.

They weren't disparaging either.
Where can I learn more about putting together a pi for these instances? Can it stream spotify easily so my wife can use it? I am looking for something "simple" enough for her to use, which is why I havent entertained the idea of the DIY setup much.

Thanks

roog

Forum Donor
Where can I learn more about putting together a pi for these instances? Can it stream spotify easily so my wife can use it? I am looking for something "simple" enough for her to use, which is why I havent entertained the idea of the DIY setup much.

Thanks

I have just done this, and I am not at all confident with computers, I searched “installing picoreplayer on RPi with 7” touchscreen” I found a couple of helpful step by step videos and not have it running with a local music store and streaming from Qobuz. I did this for a custom project, although to be honest I would buy a ready made solution like the Bluesound node products for family use.

Top Bottom