• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Alternatives to Beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X in Europe?

Rhoken

Hi

First time that i write on this forum, and i'm in search for advices on a pair of new headphone for change my Sennheiser HD598SR. With a budget of only 250 euros (i live in Europe so no Massdrop products) i have found on Thomann a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro X which cost 249 euros.

They seems to be a good pair of headphone for the price from what i have read from reviews and opinions, but also i would want to know if exist better alternatives for the same price while maintain the open or semi-open back design? (absolutely no closed back design!)

With the headphones i will buy also a new DAC/AMP (i will go for a Topping DX1).

My mainly use of them varies from watching videos/film to playing videogames and naturally for long session of music listening with various genres: mainly Power Metal (also epic, extreme, folk...), rock, orchestral and occasionaly synth pop, synthwave and retrowave...

I am looking for a neutral profile sound (the DT 900 Pro X seems to have one) with a very good soundstage (similar to HD598SR or more open), and very comfy for wear them for hours (like 6-10 hours/day and the HD598SR on this side are amazing!), with replaceable earpads and cable (No fixed cable) and good build quality.

Last edited:

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Soundmagic HP200 open headphones, like a combo of the DT880/DT990.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had those and the pads were pretty firm and couldn't spend all day in them. I use a Hifiman HE5xx for a daily driver now and wouldn't change a thing. Well rounded, light, and easy to drive. If you can find a used Beyerdynamic T90 you'll like them too. The made in Ireland Sennheiser HD650 I had was amazing as well if the price is right in your area. The DT900 is good, but it's not something to wear for long periods of time (for me at least).

solderdude

Grand Contributor
HD560S has the comfort and stereo imaging of the HD598SR and is more 'neutral' sounding and well below € 250.-

dt900x-vs-hd560s.png

HP200 is no longer produced and hard to find. Has pleather pads that get 'sweaty' on warmer days.

Last edited:
OP
Rhoken

Rhoken

The HD560S was one of the choice, specially beacause they have the same clamping force and comfort of my HD598SR... so it's like a "natural" upgrade, but i have doubts on build quality and EARPADS specially.

The only reason that i want to replace my HD598SR is about the build quality and earpads: they are starting to crumble specially on the headband and on the bad quality earpads: after one year i have to replace the original earpads beacause they started to tear, so i have buyed a aftermarket earpads but after some months he teared up again... i buyed another one and same story.

And it seems that is very difficult to find the original Sennheiser replacement in my country beacause i found only the chinese aftermarket earpads with awful quality. So i have fear that also the HD560S will do the same after many months of use.

This is also a first time for me beacause in the past i have used a pair of Audio-Technica M20X (neutral sound, great bass but clamping force was very high) for some years and the earpads are fine, the same with a old pair of Sennheiser HD201 which i have used for 4-5 years at least and the earpads are fine.

OP
Rhoken

Rhoken

UPDATE:

At the final, i will go for the DT 900 Pro X. I have ordered from the official website (for free i got also a pair of Beat Byrd in-ear!), and also the Topping DX1. If i can i will write here some impressions when they arrive.

ramtinz

UPDATE:

At the final, i will go for the DT 900 Pro X. I have ordered from the official website (for free i got also a pair of Beat Byrd in-ear!), and also the Topping DX1. If i can i will write here some impressions when they arrive.
Hi, I'm curious what are your impressions after this time you have spent with them. And, which audio interface do you use to drive them?

Top Bottom