• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Alternative to Topping DX7s with low output impedance

minnend

I recently found ASR and am very impressed with the measurements and data-driven discussion. Thanks for putting in the hard work!

I'm currently using Fostex TH-X00s at work running through a Fiio E17 Alpen. I'd like to upgrade the DAC/amp and thought I found a winner in the Topping DX7 based on the reviews here. The problem is that the Fostex has a relatively low impedance (mid/high 20s according to these measurements at innerfidelity) making the high output impedance of the Topping a real problem. It certainly seems that Topping unnecessarily hobbled an otherwise very impressive product.

So I'm wondering what the recommendation is for a dac/amp (could be separate since it's for desktop use) in roughly the same quality & price range to drive low impedance headphones. Topping D30 + Schiit Magni 3? JDS?

Thanks for any recommendations!

Jimster480

Major Contributor
You can buy an o2 Amp and use it with your DX7/DX7S.
That is what I do.
I use my o2Amp to drive my Aeon, PM-2, Denon AH-MM400, 1More Triple Over Ear, 1More Quad IEM, Panasonic RP-HD10, etc

I have a custom O2 aswell from JDS with a 1x/2.2x gain and rear RCA and a 3.5mm Jack (since most of my headphones have 3.5mm native).

OP
M

minnend

Thanks for the suggestion. After seeing the D50 results, I think that's the way to go. The DAC matches or even exceeds the DX7, and I can pair it with a low impedance amp to match my headphones. Kudos to Topping for putting out some high-quality / high-value products, though I'll stand by the claim that they're missing out slightly since I think there are a lot of Fostex (and similar) owners who would buy the DX7 if the impedance were lower. Instead, Topping gets 30% less and I support one of their competitors.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Thanks for the suggestion. After seeing the D50 results, I think that's the way to go. The DAC matches or even exceeds the DX7, and I can pair it with a low impedance amp to match my headphones. Kudos to Topping for putting out some high-quality / high-value products, though I'll stand by the claim that they're missing out slightly since I think there are a lot of Fostex (and similar) owners who would buy the DX7 if the impedance were lower. Instead, Topping gets 30% less and I support one of their competitors.
They confirmed to me that they are working on an A50 and that it will have close to 0 ohm output impedance.
Not to replace the A30 but just to compliment the D50.

The team is not that large so it takes them some time to work on products, but so far everything has been top notch!

Is there any evidence on a buffer like this actually being effective? If so that would make the a30 a pretty great amp.

bakker_be

Looking at that DIY link, isn't that an L-pad? So theoretically speaking one "could" design such a cable to specifically obtain a match between an amp and a specific headphone at the desired attenuation level? https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/attenuators/l-pad-attenuator.html might give some clues, but I'm not all that well versed in stuf like this and I'd really hate to damage my Focal Elears with such an experiment :p

Top Bottom