• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Alternative to the Meizu HiFi Pro

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
The Meizu HiFi Pro was recommended to me for use with my Galaxy S21 Ultra. However, I can't find any in stock.

Is there a comparable adapter that will handle 24/192kHz and measures/performs just as well?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Amirs review wasn't very stellar for the regular one
The regular Meizu (which I bought and donated for Amir to test btw) had something very wrong going on while measuring here, because when used with a cell phone as source it was most definitely great. See below in 32 ohms close to most IEMs impedances.

I use one with my Moondrop Aria and love it.

meizu 32 ohms.jpg

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Buckeye Amps @Matias
Matias is right. There's a problem with how Amir hooks up audio dongles to his APx555. Using the unbalanced input results in a strong rise in HF noise:
Meizu Hifi DAC Headphone Amplifier Audio Measurements.png

This messed up almost all of his measurements and does not represent real-world usage.
It can be fixed by either using the balanced input (yes, even with 3.5mm single-ended devices), or by using galvanic isolation between host and dongle, as shown here by WolfX-700 on his APx555: https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/ugreen-usb-dac/

Here are measurements of my Meizu HiFi on a good setup:
  • Meizu HiFi 1KHz SINAD.png
  • Meizu HiFi AES17 Dynamic Range.png
  • Meizu HiFi J-test @48KHz.png
  • Meizu HiFi J-Test @44.1KHz.png
  • Meizu HiFi Noise Shaping.png
  • Meizu HiFi Nyquist Filter.png
  • Meizu HiFi Frequency Response.png

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
iBasso DC05 is another option. @WolfX-700 found am audio quality firmware bug in it's initial release that has now been corrected

So be sure to update the firmware when you get it.

MCH

Major Contributor
i also have the Meizu non pro and i find it an incredible value dongle and super small if this is a concern (same size as the pro i think).
Regarding the measurements of amir there is some discussion with Ivan and JohnYang if i remember well in the review thread. In any case, it is so cheap that is probably worth a "just try and see".
The only inconvinient i see is that it connects directly to the usb of the phone and if you carry it in your pocket... might be better to add a cable in between. Another potential problem is that the cable does not seem made to last years and years... mine is still ok but does not see an intensive use.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Buckeye Amps @Matias
Matias is right. There's a problem with how Amir hooks up audio dongles to his APx555. Using the unbalanced input results in a strong rise in HF noise:
View attachment 185884

This messed up almost all of his measurements and does not represent real-world usage.
It can be fixed by either using the balanced input (yes, even with 3.5mm single-ended devices), or by using galvanic isolation between host and dongle, as shown here by WolfX-700 on his APx555: https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/ugreen-usb-dac/

Here are measurements of my Meizu HiFi on a good setup:

Good to know. Is there a dedicated thread on ASR discussing this? Be curious to know more about which dongles are affected.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
In the grand scheme of things, would there be a noticeable difference between the Meizu HiFi, iBasso DC05, or THX Onyx?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Pulled the trigger on the Meizu Hifi from Aliexpress. Pairing with 7Hz Timeless IEMs

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
So I actually canceled the Meizu and went with a Helm Bolt. Figured a current product would be best. And Amir seemed to like it

formdissolve

Forum Donor
So I actually canceled the Meizu and went with a Helm Bolt. Figured a current product would be best. And Amir seemed to like it
@Buckeye Amps Reviving an old thread.. Does your Helm Bolt suck a lot of juice from your phone? I can only find some "mblu" version of the meizu and not sure how that measures up, so was looking for something else. My Hidizs S9 Pro sucks a lot of power from my phone and the Apple dongle is limited to very low volume when using on an android phone

staticV3

Master Contributor
I can only find some "mblu" version of the meizu and not sure how that measures up, so was looking for something else.
Meizu HiFi and Meizu HiFi Pro got discontinued and replaced by the mblu HiFi and lifeme HiFi Pro, which use the CX31993 in favor of the CS43131. They measure about as well as the Apple dongles. Not as well as the Meizus.

Here's the power consumption for a bunch of dongles.
current draw @44.1kHz, 300Ω load, 5.05VBUS [mA].png

and the Apple dongle is limited to very low volume when using on an android phone
On Android, you can remove that limit like so.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As an owner of a non-Pro Meizu with 43131 I am sad there are no alternatives... Nowadays only larger and a lot more powerful and excellent measuring dongles, but no true alternative to this tiny form factor...

staticV3

Master Contributor
As an owner of a non-Pro Meizu with 43131 I am sad there are no alternatives... Nowadays only larger and a lot more powerful and excellent measuring dongles, but no true alternative to this tiny form factor...
JCally JM20
MBQuart MB21P
aAkLIAM PD6
This noname one

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
JCally JM20
MBQuart MB21P
aAkLIAM PD6
This noname one
Do these measure as well as the original Meizus? I know the CS43131 is an all-in-one DAC chip, but idk, just to be sure they did not manage to ruin something.

Top Bottom