• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Alternative to Roon....

Zensō

Major Contributor
Maybe I'm just using roon in a very basic way. But I don't have any issues at all since I upgraded my router to one with WiFi 6 and get the M1 MacBook with wifi6.

Qobuz + Tidal along with my small local library (on the MacBook) has been super painless.
I'm using a bit of DSP but that's it pretty much.

What iOS standards would that be ?

Are you using a app like amphetamine to prevent your core to going to sleep etc?

My (old) windows laptop with a intel I5 was a nightmare with both audirvana and roon. And both remote apps would constantly disconnect and only a reboot would fix the issue
It was not an issue with the core; I was running ROCK on a well-spec’d NUC with excess RAM on a very fast WI-FI network. Roon ran perfectly fine on my Macs. These issues are related to Xamarin, the .NET development environment Roon is using to build their mobile apps, which allows for one code base to be ported to multiple platforms. Unfortunately, the ported apps are sub-par on iOS, just take a look at the loads of 1 star reviews on the Apple App Store or search a few threads on the Roon Support forum if you’re interested in digging deeper. If not, count yourself among the lucky and enjoy the music!

Last edited:

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I just went for the lifetime subscription. Expensive But I don't see there being a alternative any time soon.

LMS and volumio are just no there yet and will probably always have that freeware feeling. And I think there is a fee as well for tidal and qobuz support.

As long as apple is not buying roon I dont see things changing.

Audirvana studio is only available subscription based and that subscription is not really that much cheaper than roon. So why even bother.

Subscriptions get more expensive all the time as well. So who knows what roon, audirvana will cost in 2-3 years.

I'm just paying the lifetime subscription in installments. Over the next 6 months so it's not such a big hit.

Wunderphones

Missed opportunity really.

Currently it feels like comparing MacOS 12.3 (roon) with windows 98 (competition)
Yes, as a lifetime Roon subscriber, I wish they had a competitor. They dedicate too much of their programming resources to new feature development at the expense of fixing issues in the codebase.

I love it, but not without reservation.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Yes, as a lifetime Roon subscriber, I wish they had a competitor. They dedicate too much of their programming resources to new feature development at the expense of fixing issues in the codebase.

I love it, but not without reservation.

Yeah they should just leave it as it is and fix bugs. And add new things with roon 2.0

Hope they try not to turn it into Plex

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Dont want to provoke, just a honest question. What does Roon offer over other media servers (eg Plex, Synology, etc), streaming services (Tidal, Quobuz etc) or streaming SW (Volumio, Moode etc) ? Features? UI?

An answer as objective as possible would be great.

Thx.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Dont want to provoke, just a honest question. What does Roon offer over other media servers (eg Plex, Synology, etc), streaming services (Tidal, Quobuz etc) or streaming SW (Volumio, Moode etc) ? Features? UI?

An answer as objective as possible would be great.

Thx.
It's not like what does it offer over all of these service but more like the whole package.

Roon lets you combine tidal , qobuz and your local rips into one library that looks like you are just browsing through one service.

Obviously the U.I.

Upsampling, DSP for individual roon endpoints, group play.

And many more stuff like "focus".. if you are really into it you can do something like Dirac does.

I feel like I'm still stretching on the surface .

But for me there is no going back to software where I need to troubleshoot stuff to even get it running and mess around with plugins and third party software.

Roon Radio (lets you discover new music) has been awesome as well.

What bothered me with audirvana was that I had tidal and qobuz and my local library separated and not combined.

Streammagic, musiccast and BlueOS are not even in the same league.

And I believe volumio is not free if you want to use tidal and qobuz. Audirvana studio costs nearly as much as roon.

And LMS reminds me of playing VCL and foobar on a OS from 2005.

Searching a album in the Qobuz native app is a joke. Everything shows up but not what you are looking for.

Last edited:

Wunderphones

For me, there are two big features that make Roon great.

First is all the written/photo content. Yes, it's available elsewhere, but in Roon it is part of the interface, so my browsing for music and my learning about music are thoroughly intertwined.

Second is that I can find things like cover versions and collaborations between artists with remarkable ease. One day I decided to find all the albums where Ron Carter and Tony Williams were in the rhythm section together. It took seconds. Another time I was able to verify that two Nashville musicians I like, each of whom seems to collaborate with everyone in the known universe, had somehow never worked together.

That kind of granularity in filtering search results is just crrrrazy, and it's really easy to access. And if your "collection" is the same as Qobuz's or Tidal's collection, you are essentially searching the whole world of music for your answers, and not just the stuff on your local hard drive. (I still harbor delusional fantasies that someday they will have access to an API that lets them integrate Apple Music, which has the best catalog I've found.)

I should note that we're here on an audio website, and neither of the features I care the most about are audio-related features. I actually do use the parametric EQ feature on headphones and other audio zones with suspect frequency responses, but it's not any sort of game-changer for me. But there are people who really love the bit-perfect audio and signal chain overview, and all that other audio nerd stuff. I think if these are the things that matter to you, there might be a product that works for you, but cheaper. 'Cause Roon ain't cheap.

But I spent $700 on a lifetime membership as soon as I installed the trial version and saw some of what it could do, and it brings far more joy to my daily listening than if I had spent that $700 on equipment.

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And LMS reminds me of playing VCL and foobar on a OS from 2005.
Third-party "Material Skin" plugin pretty much brings Logitech Media Server into the modern world UI-wise. LMS 8 and later versions can integrate streaming services favorites into your library. "Music And Artist Information" plugin provides some of the background content people like in Roon.

Not saying Roon isn't great, just that LMS can get you a fair way toward the same experience for free.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Third-party "Material Skin" plugin pretty much brings Logitech Media Server into the modern world UI-wise. LMS 8 and later versions can integrate streaming services favorites into your library. "Music And Artist Information" plugin provides some of the background content people like in Roon.

Not saying Roon isn't great, just that LMS can get you a fair way toward the same experience for free.

Watched a YouTube video where they showcase that skin. While it looks alright for someone that is into that "basic" foobar player style it's just not for me.

Even audirvana looks better than that.

But if it where just for those basic things it would be alright but roon just offers more..

Im paying for Netflix, prime, apple TV, VPN service, Disney, Playstation plus , internet provider, qobuz, tidal.... The lifetime license for roon was expensive but overall considering everything it's not that much really.

When I was 20 yo and really into computers and Linux stuff I would have loved to play around with LMS etc but these days where my free time is limited I want something like roon..

And roon is something my whole family is easily able to use.

Even my wife is browsing qobuz on the iPad instead of listening to songs on YouTube with her iPhone .

kuf

you can have LMS in the form of Daphile,
it is almost plug and play, no need to know about Linux, just to be able to make and boot from a live usb stick and follow on screen directions.
It works fine on an old Atom netbbook, playing my local music and Spotify (has also Tidal, Qobuz and any more that I haven't test myself).

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
hqdefault.jpg

Do you have a roon?

OP
K

Krist

Looks like a lot of people recommend Roon. Have been trying it out for some time now. One issue I run in to however is that t he Roon Core is only available on Intel, and I have somehow managed to become a pure ARM house.

But roon would enable me to just get two high quality roon ready speakers for my office, and 2 cheaper one's for the kitchen, and having them in sync without needing to commit to a particular eco system. So I guess Roon will be it.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Re LMS I use with the iPeng app on iPad , that really saves the application for me , the web-Ui’s functions fine , but feels a bit dated , but they do their thing.

fuzzy_logic

Roon lets you combine tidal , qobuz and your local rips into one library that looks like you are just browsing through one service.
You can do this with Plex, but only for Tidal. I also get 10% per month off the cost of my Tidal subscription. I'm sure Roon probably has more features, but after taking out their free trial it didn't offer enough over Plex to justify the cost.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
You can do this with Plex, but only for Tidal. I also get 10% per month off the cost of my Tidal subscription. I'm sure Roon probably has more features, but after taking out their free trial it didn't offer enough over Plex to justify the cost.
I prefer qobuz. I have tidal Hifi as well (Argentina account for 75 cent a month).
And I use the roon DSP features a lot like upsampling and EQ for different endpoints.

I got a lifetime subscription for Roon.. not going to bother anymore with a other software:)

Snoopy

Major Contributor

Plex informed me today for the second time in 12 months that they had a breach of their user database.

Top Bottom