• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Alternative to Pi solutions for dedicated network streamer with USB output that is Roon Ready?

dan_uk

Hi,

I've just bought a Matrix Audio Sabre X Pro and wondering what the options are for a non-Pi network streamer with USB output that Roon Ready?

Basically ethernet cable input to USB output for my new DAC.

I've already got an Allo DigiOne Signature player and whilst it works great when working, I often find it drops of the network... needs a reboot once a month.... or sometimes needs TCP/ip setting reset... So I want something that just always works and is always there waiting and listed as available in Roon.

Thanks!

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

I've just bought a Matrix Audio Sabre X Pro and wondering what the options are for a non-Pi network streamer with USB output that Roon Ready?

I've already got an Allo DigiOne Signature player and whilst it works great when working, I often find it drops of the network... needs a reboot once a month.... or sometimes needs TCP/ip setting reset... So I want something that just always works and is always there waiting and listed as available in Roon.

Thanks!
Bluesound Node would fill the bill.

MisterOZ

IFI Zen stream could be also an alternative…

SKBubba

AlephAlpha001

IFI Zen stream could be also an alternative…
Seconded! Works great as a Roon Endpoint. People seem to have various levels of success and grief using it standalone with Tidal / Spotify.. but as a Roon Endpoint with another Roon Core box handling Tidal/Qobuzz/Rips it works like a dream.

AlephAlpha001

Hi,

Thanks!
FWIW, what OS are you running on your DigiOne? Can’t remember what I ordered with mine (I have USBridge/DigiOne combo and a USBridge and an ifi ZenStream) but quickly blatted it and replaced it with Ropieee OS because I use exclusively as Roon Endpoints… Has always worked perfectly with no dropouts and reboots. Might be an idea to play around with other OSes before chucking it?

Burki

You would run roon bridge on it. Rock is the server piece and probably wouldn't run on a celeron. Bridge is just the transport/endpoint that plays from your roon server/core. The server/core (or Rock) does all the heavy lifting involved in library management, dsp, etc.

Late response, but that's not the complete truth.
Rock is a minimal Linux with the Roon Core and the Roon Bridge included.
Installing it on a Celeron based system isn't a problem and it works fine (just not using the installed core) as endpoint.
Kernel is not the newest and so only a few DACs are supported in using native DSD (no problems with DoD or PCM), but also HDMI audio (also in multichannel) is working seem less.
So I can highly recommend a small PC with an installed Rock as Roon endpoint.

Top Bottom