• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Alternative to Modi/magni3 for my DT-1990

Mrbitcoin

I feel like the modi/magni are too smooth so i will keep it for my HD 650. But for the DT-1990 can you guys give me a recommendation? Budget wise i am looking at 300 euro. I am also considering the E30 + L30 but i am scarred they will sound the same as the modi/magni 3.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All of those components measure quite well so they will sound the same.

If you're looking to change the sound of your headphones then you probably EQ them, mod them, or just replace them.

What did you want to change about the 1990?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I want the speed and the dynamics to really shine but i think i have found the one for pretty cheap! Somebody is selling a schiit vali 1 for 30 euros i wonder if that will do the trick https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/schiit-vali.16821/reviews#item-review-13382. Judging from reviews this really does it?

Perception of speed is pretty much a function of transducer. A poor amp may degrade that but a Modi & Magni 3 should already be transparent.

Dynamics is basically either the power of the amp, or power compression in the driver but headphones don't usually suffer from that. It may be possible that an amp with more distortion would be perceived as more dynamic since the extra distortion would increase the total power output if only normalized at the fundamental.

From a technical perspective the Vali 1 will probably be a step down from the Magni 3, having more noise,distortion, and high output impedance.

• Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.2db, 5Hz-100KHz, -3dB
  • Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 650mW RMS per channel
  • Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 550mW RMS per channel
  • Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 220mW RMS per channel
  • Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 115mW RMS per channel
  • THD: <0.4%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS
  • IMD: <0.45%, CCIR
  • SNR: >93db, unweighted, referenced to 1V RMS
  • Crosstalk: >-70dB, 20 Hz-20KHz
  • Output Impedance: 6.5 ohms
  • Gain: 4 (12db)
  • Topology: Tube voltage gain stage, triode-strapped, with bipolar phase flipper, buffer and bipolar class AB output stage
  • Protection: delayed start and fast shut-down with muting relay
  • Power Supply: wall wart style 16VAC transformer, regulated 60V, 26V, and 1.2V rails for tube HV, solid state, and filaments, respectively
  • Power Consumption: 8W
  • Size: 5 x 3.5 x 1.25î
  • Weight: 1 lb.

Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-900KHz, -3dB
Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 3W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 2W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.3W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 430mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 230mW RMS per channel

THD: Less than 0.001%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS, less than 0.02% at 5V RMS into 32 ohms
IMD: Less than 0.001%, CCIF

SNR: Greater than 108db, unweighted, referenced to 1V RMS

Crosstalk: -70dB, 20 Hz-20KHz

Output Impedance: Less than 0.3 ohms at either gain

Gain: 2 (6db) or 7 (17db), selectable via rear switch
Topology: fully discrete, fully complementary all-bipolar, symmetrical current-feedback design with no capacitors in the signal path and DC servo
Protection: Standard failsafe DC power input and muting relay

Power Supply: “Wall wart” style 24VA 14VAC transformer, regulated +/- 17V rails with over 6,000uF filter capacitance
Power Consumption: 6W

Size: 5 x 3.5 x 1.25”

Weight: 1 lb

From a psychoacoustic perspective you may not even hear a difference with a highish impedance 'phone like the DT1990 in an ears only test. When you know what you are listening to, it may sound better since tubes are cool. ;)

OP
M

Mrbitcoin

Perception of speed is pretty much a function of transducer. A poor amp may degrade that but a Modi & Magni 3 should already be transparent.

Dynamics is basically either the power of the amp, or power compression in the driver but headphones don't usually suffer from that. It may be possible that an amp with more distortion would be perceived as more dynamic since the extra distortion would increase the total power output if only normalized at the fundamental.

From a technical perspective the Vali 1 will probably be a step down from the Magni 3, having more noise,distortion, and high output impedance.

• Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.2db, 5Hz-100KHz, -3dB
  • Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 650mW RMS per channel
  • Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 550mW RMS per channel
  • Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 220mW RMS per channel
  • Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 115mW RMS per channel
  • THD: <0.4%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS
  • IMD: <0.45%, CCIR
  • SNR: >93db, unweighted, referenced to 1V RMS
  • Crosstalk: >-70dB, 20 Hz-20KHz
  • Output Impedance: 6.5 ohms
  • Gain: 4 (12db)
  • Topology: Tube voltage gain stage, triode-strapped, with bipolar phase flipper, buffer and bipolar class AB output stage
  • Protection: delayed start and fast shut-down with muting relay
  • Power Supply: wall wart style 16VAC transformer, regulated 60V, 26V, and 1.2V rails for tube HV, solid state, and filaments, respectively
  • Power Consumption: 8W
  • Size: 5 x 3.5 x 1.25î
  • Weight: 1 lb.

Frequency Response: 20Hz-20Khz, -0.1db, 2Hz-900KHz, -3dB
Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 3W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 2W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.3W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 430mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 230mW RMS per channel

THD: Less than 0.001%, 20Hz-20KHz, at 1V RMS, less than 0.02% at 5V RMS into 32 ohms
IMD: Less than 0.001%, CCIF

SNR: Greater than 108db, unweighted, referenced to 1V RMS

Crosstalk: -70dB, 20 Hz-20KHz

Output Impedance: Less than 0.3 ohms at either gain

Gain: 2 (6db) or 7 (17db), selectable via rear switch
Topology: fully discrete, fully complementary all-bipolar, symmetrical current-feedback design with no capacitors in the signal path and DC servo
Protection: Standard failsafe DC power input and muting relay

Power Supply: “Wall wart” style 24VA 14VAC transformer, regulated +/- 17V rails with over 6,000uF filter capacitance
Power Consumption: 6W

Size: 5 x 3.5 x 1.25”

Weight: 1 lb

From a psychoacoustic perspective you may not even hear a difference with a highish impedance 'phone like the DT1990 in an ears only test. When you know what you are listening to, it may sound better since tubes are cool. ;)
Hahaha exactly! I am looking for a fun sound. I have to snag this deal it is a no brainer for me at this price. If i don't like it i have to look further. Crossing my fingers for this cheap solution! I would like to thank you for taking ur time for helping me. Getting the topping stack would have been a let down thank you again.

Top Bottom