• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Allo Volt+ D for Elac DBR62?

0800 Dub

Hi,

I have a pair of Elac Debut Reference DBR62s powered by a Yamaha A-S301 amplifier. I'm happy with the sound quality. However, I'm interested in class D amplifiers as they are supposed to offer good performance and often come in a smaller form factor than class A/B amplifiers.

I've toyed with the idea of getting a stereo integrated class D amp in the past but most of the budget options seem to either have so-so performance or have an aesthetic that doesn't please me. The other options seem to be power amps which are expensive and larger, and I don't have a separate pre-amp (nor do I intend to get one).

Recently I've started looking into this again and I am drawn to the Allo Volt+ D. It seems to be well-regarded in terms of performance, the main complaints being that it has a bit of case wobble and that the volume knob is awkward to adjust. Unless it's completely flimsy (which I doubt), I can't imagine it will come to much harm sitting on a shelf or on top of my radio tuner. I have an audio interface with a knob so the knob on the device shouldn't be too much of an issue. I like the concept of an amplifier with a see-through case, I imagine it would be a good conversation starter and maybe even get people interested in electronics.

In the past I was put off by the idea of an amp with a single pair of RCA inputs as I have multiple sources connected to my amp but if I get the Allo I plan to get one of these which should solve that problem: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Duttek-Switcher-Composite-Selector-Consoles/dp/B077X4W4W6/

I find it a bit odd that the Allo doesn't have a power switch, only a mute switch, but I reckon replacing my extension lead for one with switches next to each socket should solve that.

So, given all of this, my question is: will the Allo be able to power my speakers properly? I have powered my speakers from a 60W amp in the past with no issues so I'm guessing it will be absolutely fine, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience. The sensitivity of my speakers is 86dB and they are rated at 6 ohms.

And... in general, is there anything wrong with what I'm planning?

Currently it seems like a good idea as it would save me space and money (I can sell the Yamaha) and I'd get to have a funky amp in a clear case with newer amplification technology that I could brag about (just kidding... but it is cool to keep up with technological improvements).

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The Volt+ measured reasonably well for the price. An RCA version of a switch box like this should be fine - I'm not sure what the one that includes video switching will be doing internally. I believe there are a couple of 3255-based amps heading in for testing, so you could wait and hope the backlog isn't too long. Whether any of the above will be an improvement on your Yamaha is an open question.

OP
0800 Dub

0800 Dub

Thanks for the tips! I don't believe Nobsound produces a 4 (or more) in, 1 out RCA switcher. Hence why I singled out the other one. I should hope the presence of video inputs has no effect...

Top Bottom