• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Allo Volt+ D Amplifier Review

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Exactly. Basically admitting that the only people that will buy it are a small number of geeks. If the manufacturers only have aspirations to be a tiny niche player selling maybe a few hundred units, well fine. But if they actually want to do better than a hobby business run out of a basement, a bit more attention to detail would make a big difference.
I dunno -- I think that the geeks are Legion. I also think they spend a lotta money on their geeky armamentariums (armamentaria?).

Don't really mind the jack, can always find an adapter or alternatives for that. I want to know if unregulated 32VDC PSU will work with the Volt+D.
Or a pair of diagonal wire cutters (ahem, in my day they were called dikes or maybe that's dykes -- and they didn't have to wear sensible shoes or anything!) and some solder. :)

Or, for the truly wimpy in the room, skip the solder and just get one of these... (assuming it's available in a 3 mm format -- the one in the photo's 2.5 x 5.5 mm).

1598355690591.png

Last edited:

Poultrygeist

My Volt+D came with an extra capacitance multiplier which I mounted on top. It's my understanding the CM reduces the noise if using a cheap power brick. Allo recommends 19v for the +D.

P1010012.jpeg

Last edited:

Poultrygeist

The Volt+ is a steal at $39 but you must supply your own case. It benefits greatly from a linear regulated power supply.

PA250007.jpeg

bakker_be

I've been searching a bit and I'm beginning to think the connector dimensions aren't 100% correct. I can't seem to find a power supply with a 6.5mm 3.0mm connector. I do find 6.3mm x 3.0mm ...

sychan

Forum Donor
https://www.amazon.com/YEMIUGO-Blue...2KXF2J24BTY&psc=1&refRID=NHXTMS4R62KXF2J24BTY
An actual filter capacitor bank, bigger heat sink, Bluetooth as a bonus. If just at glance you where to ask me which one is more expensive... I might have been fooled, and it's not a bit more, Its 6 times. Maybe you are right tough, but it's too much of a short cut to say, this 20$ amp performs bad, therefore all 20$ amps are bad. Maybe, maybe not.

Did you look at the reviews of that thing, or just at the price and photos? Here's the unmodified frequency response in green, notice how it starts to dive after 5kz. If you go and remove some caps, it looks like the red line. The Allo looks a lot more turnkey than the Yemiugo.
1598370121168.png

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Did you look at the reviews of that thing, or just at the price and photos? Here's the unmodified frequency response in green, notice how it starts to dive after 5kz. If you go and remove some caps, it looks like the red line. The Allo looks a lot more turnkey than the Yemiugo.
View attachment 79856

That Wuzhi zk1002 amp gets sold from a lot of resellers. It's all the same. The FR graph is from the aux in. Like i told it's shit. The BT FR is better. But even its nearly the same chips, you cant compare to the Allo. One is done carefully the right way, one is done the shit way.

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
so is this the JDS Atom of speaker amps?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

confucius_zero

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
in the cheap, small but "way above weight" punching intention.
Maybe, someone else would have to answer that, but I don't think it should be held in same esteem as JDS Labs Atom (albeit different type of product of course).

confucius_zero

Looks pretty cool, I actually just received an Amazon budget class D amp for testing.
I might mail it in here and see how it compares.
give us an update when you do!

thefsb

Yes, you need an external power supply and that is the only flaw I see with going with this solution.
Has the virtue of making safety simpler, which is nice for a DIY project.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
in the cheap, small but "way above weight" punching intention.

Hardly. There's about a thousand proper integrated amplifiers you could buy on the secondhand market that would absolutely wipe the floor with this thing.

It's just a toy.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Can you name a few for those of us looking for such things?

There's just thousands and thousands. Seriously.

Go make an account with HiFiEngine. Pick a big brand (Sony/Pioneer/Sansui/Akai/Rotel/Luxman/Harman Kardon/Yamaha etc) and knock yourself out.

Put it this way, this Allo thing on a 19V supply delivers ~18wpc@8R. I cannot recall ANY respectable manufacturer making even an entry level integrated amplifier with so little available power except in the early to mid 1970s.

Top Bottom