• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Allo Volt+ D Amplifier Review

Archguy

Ugh. That case layout is pretty much a deal breaker

Similarly:

Interesting to see these observations and thanks to Amir for the technical review. When we discussed this amp on another forum in April of 2018 I mentioned the ergonomic issues because 1) I too found them annoying and 2) they were so easily avoidable in the design stage. A couple of fanboys there took great offense, and I let the matter drop.

However over time the issues became reason enough for me to sell the unit on, and though I enjoyed the sound I didn't find it to offer an appreciable improvement over my 3255s. So I'm hoping against hope that Allo's new 325x implementation will be more competently designed. The extreme (and random) crowding of connections is particularly troublesome on many examples in the marketplace, particularly when there is ample and unused space available on panels. Extra points to any mfr who can refrain from using 'commercial script' font for logotypes.

NB: My remarks refer to visuals but especially ergonomics. Naturally, I'm not speaking of the electronics, of which I'm comparatively ignorant. That notwithstanding, I have very little complaint w/r/t the SQ of the 3255 and while I realise that tech keeps advancing it's not SQ holding these little chip amps back any more. It's implementation, and there's a pile of money sitting on the table for anyone who can bring to market something like a dual 3255 in a decent package. Maybe it'll be ALLO.

If I've missed anything already available, please let me know. Here's a LM3886, which I've also found to be a listenable unit if a bit long in the tooth nowadays.

LM3886-l1600-A.jpg

LM3886-l1600-B.jpg

If the mfr wants extra profit (and why wouldn't he?) he can add a couple $12 meters on the face and charge an extra $120 for the unit. It'll sell.

sonci99

Hi, newbie here. Bought the volt a couple weeks ago and forgot to order the psu. I've been using a 12V 5.4A psu. The volume is more than enough. Any impact in sq or other besides volume? Thanks in advance.
I’d like to know as well..

johan

Audio Company
I never tested with a 12V supply but THD should stay very close to what was measured by Amir.

johnk

I built an amplifier switch box to allow me to A/B my old Yamaha amplifier and my Allo Volt+ D. I am using a 24v 5A switched PSU for the Volt+. The Yamaha's seem to get a fair amount of respect on these forums (ref: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ts-about-the-internals-few-measurements.9459/) so I was interested to try to compare them directly.
Warning: Subjective content!
In general they sound quite similar, but the differences are more apparent with delicate sounds. My impression is that the separation of instruments is cleaner with the Volt+. The bass seems slightly tighter/faster on the Volt+ as well.

-John

IMG_20200902_101135.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200902_101135.jpg
    IMG_20200902_101135.jpg
    773 KB · Views: 104

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
19 volts supply will result in ~[(19 vol-1.5)0.707]^2 =
I built an amplifier switch box to allow me to A/B my old Yamaha amplifier and my Allo Volt+ D. I am using a 24v 5A switched PSU for the Volt+. The Yamaha's seem to get a fair amount of respect on these forums (ref: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ts-about-the-internals-few-measurements.9459/) so I was interested to try to compare them directly.
Warning: Subjective content!
In general they sound quite similar, but the differences are more apparent with delicate sounds. My impression is that the separation of instruments is cleaner with the Volt+. The bass seems slightly tighter/faster on the Volt+ as well.

-John

View attachment 81098
Did you level match them by metering the output before you AB them?

johnk

That sounds like fun to try, but I am not sure I have the right kit.
I can generate a sine wave easily, but I don't have a level meter.
Are level meters on phone apps acceptable? I do have a passable dynamic mic which I could use - would this be better?
Thanks, John

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That sounds like fun to try, but I am not sure I have the right kit.
I can generate a sine wave easily, but I don't have a level meter.
Are level meters on phone apps acceptable? I do have a passable dynamic mic which I could use - would this be better?
Thanks, John
I've never used a level meter on a phone but peeps here do and they say it works as a fast easy method.

HansHolland

Hell Yeah!!

i've been waiting ages for this review to come and see if i really felt right about the qualities of this amplifier.
i'm coming from quite a few class D budget amplifiers (smsl sa-50 and topping PA3) and to be honest the volt+D felt way better than the others right after the first track. at 19db gain it has almost zero hiss and the power felt "cleaner" than other amps, and this seems to be confirmed by measurements.

to my european fellows, this amplifier is available on Audiophonics
I could have writen this.
I also owned the smsl sa-50, I prefer the Allo and I have bought it at Audiophonics.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I call it a toy because it's a simple class D chip amp solution PCB in a perspex case with absolutely no effort whatsoever to make it remotely attractive. It runs on a surplus laptop supply. It has a cheap knob, one input, one pair of speakers, no facilities or features and is no more powerful than most portable blue-tooth speakers sold at big box stores.

I'd be proud of it when I was 12 years old.

That doesn't mean it isn't fun. I have fun with filterless 2W class D amplifiers that run on a USB charger too. I do. But let's be adults and put it into perspective.

Ok lets be adults. Get ride of the power input stage, feed it with a 24v accu. You have a clean 2*30W amp.. Give that to some klipsh horns and at least i think it's even fun for adults?

RSC08

How do the owners manage the power issue on this amp? Do you leave it always on? Or do you get a power cord with an on/off switch?

How do the owners manage the power issue on this amp? Do you leave it always on? Or do you get a power cord with an on/off switch?
I use a power plug with a switch. It makes a little buzz but not noticeable past 10-20cm from the speakers

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

I don't have an Allo -- I'm waiting for the more powerful TPA3255 version -- but I have my whole system on a little four-outlet power strip so I can turn all my gear on and off simultaneously.

4 Outlet Power Strip

Poultrygeist

I use a power strip to turn it on and off.

The +D has a mute switch which I turn off first before the power strip is off.

Top Bottom