• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Allo Volt+ D Amplifier Review

Poultrygeist

I've been searching a bit and I'm beginning to think the connector dimensions aren't 100% correct. I can't seem to find a power supply with a 6.5mm 3.0mm connector. I do find 6.3mm x 3.0mm ...

My +D came with an adaptor.

sgent

There's just thousands and thousands. Seriously.

Go make an account with HiFiEngine. Pick a big brand (Sony/Pioneer/Sansui/Akai/Rotel/Luxman/Harman Kardon/Yamaha etc) and knock yourself out.

Put it this way, this Allo thing on a 19V supply delivers ~18wpc@8R. I cannot recall ANY respectable manufacturer making even an entry level integrated amplifier with so little available power except in the early to mid 1970s.

That's a database of all HiFi gear ever made, not a for sale list. While I agree that 18wpc is low, especially for nearfield listening it should be enough especially given the extra capacitance built into the system. Scrolling through hifishark I see nothing under $200 that isn't either a 19" form factor (hard to fit on a desk) or so old it needs to be recapped. Also shipping an AB amp is more expensive so make sure to include that in your calculations.

The cheapest "better" amp that has been reviewed here and has a similar form factor is the Yamaha WCA-50, which is $500.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
That's a database of all HiFi gear ever made, not a for sale list.

Obviously. It is a phenomenal resource and archive for people to do their own research. Then they are more qualified to know what they might want in the secondary market.

I could provide a nice big list of amplifiers I recommend, but frankly, that's not my job.

And, if people want to buy toy perspex-cased amplifiers and delude themselves into thinking they are something special, whatever.

While I agree that 18wpc is low, especially for nearfield listening it should be enough especially given the extra capacitance built into the system.

18wpc is completely inadequate for high fidelity reproduction. A capacitance multiplier does not provide additional power either. It provides power supply/noise/ripple rejection.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Obviously. It is a phenomenal resource and archive for people to do their own research. Then they are more qualified to know what they might want in the secondary market.

I could provide a nice big list of amplifiers I recommend, but frankly, that's not my job.

And, if people want to buy toy perspex-cased amplifiers and delude themselves into thinking they are something special, whatever.

18wpc is completely inadequate for high fidelity reproduction. A capacitance multiplier does not provide additional power either. It provides power supply/noise/ripple rejection.

I think some people are after a small powerful amplifier that you could put on a desk. If they want a big one there is indeed plenty of choice.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I think some people are after a small powerful amplifier that you could put on a desk. If they want a big one there is indeed plenty of choice.

Fair enough I guess.

But my solution is:
1598424588779.png

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a database of all HiFi gear ever made, not a for sale list. While I agree that 18wpc is low, especially for nearfield listening it should be enough especially given the extra capacitance built into the system. Scrolling through hifishark I see nothing under $200 that isn't either a 19" form factor (hard to fit on a desk) or so old it needs to be recapped. Also shipping an AB amp is more expensive so make sure to include that in your calculations.

The cheapest "better" amp that has been reviewed here and has a similar form factor is the Yamaha WCA-50, which is $500.
Have you tried US Audio Mart?
https://www.usaudiomart.com/

Poultrygeist

Hardly. There's about a thousand proper integrated amplifiers you could buy on the secondhand market that would absolutely wipe the floor with this thing.

It's just a toy.

So what didn't you like about the Volt+D's sound when you listened to it? Did you try it with efficient speakers?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
So what didn't you like about the Volt+D's sound when you listened to it? Did you try it with efficient speakers?

It's a bridge tied load TPA-3116D2. Nothing special otherwise. I have a number of 3116D2 PCBs I bought just for fun and my boys use them in their rooms for sound, some with BT modules. Run with a 19V laptop supply they make an obscene amount of sound- way more than any teenager deserves to have in their room. :) Coupled with a powered subwoofer, it's like a small nightclub! And all for a few dollars, they are incredible value for sure.

But advancing HiFi they are not. My 16yo is doing music production at trade college (chip off the old block) and the first thing he noticed was lack of dynamics and resolution. I gave him a choice of 6 other amplifiers instead, and he chose an early 1980s HK amplifier after listening to them all. Without any skills or knowledge, he chose the amplifier that, ironically, tested the best (he didn't know that). All based on what he heard (with his younger ears).

Sure, with efficient speakers (like yours), not many watts can be an awful lot of fun, but let's face it, most people are running 85-87dB SPL@1M/W speakers these days. They need more, undistorted power than the little Allo can do, unless you take the TPA right up to the V+ limit of around 30V.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
It's a bridge tied load TPA-3116D2. Nothing special otherwise. I have a number of 3116D2 PCBs I bought just for fun and my boys use them in their rooms for sound, some with BT modules. Run with a 19V laptop supply they make an obscene amount of sound- way more than any teenager deserves to have in their room. :) Coupled with a powered subwoofer, it's like a small nightclub! And all for a few dollars, they are incredible value for sure.

But advancing HiFi they are not. My 16yo is doing music production at trade college (chip off the old block) and the first thing he noticed was lack of dynamics and resolution. I gave him a choice of 6 other amplifiers instead, and he chose an early 1980s HK amplifier after listening to them all. Without any skills or knowledge, he chose the amplifier that, ironically, tested the best (he didn't know that). All based on what he heard (with his younger ears).

Sure, with efficient speakers (like yours), not many watts can be an awful lot of fun, but let's face it, most people are running 85-87dB SPL@1M/W speakers these days. They need more, undistorted power than the little Allo can do, unless you take the TPA right up to the V+ limit of around 30V.

Somhow iam on your side. I just dont like to call it a toy. See it in relation to a 5w tube amp for 1000$? Whats more a toy?

Edit says: I mean its a absolut realystic 30W per channel amp . With not to bad measurements. It's not outstanding cheap. But its something thats right. No bullshiting. Imo thats ok.

Last edited:

sonci99

I agree somehow, but don`t think that all TPA3116 sound the same. I think the filter is very important, most chinese boards sound harsh with unpleasant highs, I had to mod mine to tame the brightness, the Allo board is already modded.
As for the `80 amplifiers, they have more power and dynamic with low efficiency speakers, unfortunately they can`t match the microdetails and midrange of D class amplifiers, unless you have some flagship ampifier that is still expensive today..

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
omhow iam on your side. I just dont like to call it a toy. See it in relation to a 5w tube amp for 1000$? Whats more a toy?

I call it a toy because it's a simple class D chip amp solution PCB in a perspex case with absolutely no effort whatsoever to make it remotely attractive. It runs on a surplus laptop supply. It has a cheap knob, one input, one pair of speakers, no facilities or features and is no more powerful than most portable blue-tooth speakers sold at big box stores.

I'd be proud of it when I was 12 years old.

That doesn't mean it isn't fun. I have fun with filterless 2W class D amplifiers that run on a USB charger too. I do. But let's be adults and put it into perspective.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
As for the `80 amplifiers, they have more power and dynamic with low efficiency speakers, unfortunately they can`t match the microdetails and midrange of D class amplifiers, unless you have some flagship ampifier that is still expensive today..

Happy to discuss that in another thread. :)

Fragonard

I think that AMP can easilly be feed with 24v battery (+ 29.4v changer). Could be an excellent little amplifier with high efficiency speaker (with far better results than any smps out there).

Poultrygeist

John, the Volt+D is a TPA3118 dual mono. It's implementation is different and implementation is everything. No doubt it's the reason it measures so well. It's superior to all the Chinese TPA3110/16/18 board amps that I own and as a matter of fact it's made in India.

Since you haven't listened to the Volt+D your comments can't be taken seriously.

Power is relative. And more folks these days are discovering the advantages of efficient speakers. Two watts powering 96 db speakers is comparable in loudness to 70 watts powering 84 db speakers.

sonci99

I don`t get signal to noise ratio charts. It seems doing better at full power than at 5wats.
Shouldn`t these amplifiers distort heavily when at full power? at least this was true for T amps..

Veri

Master Contributor
I don`t get signal to noise ratio charts. It seems doing better at full power than at 5wats.
As long as it's not driven into clipping, it makes total sense for SNR to be highest at maximum output. Lowering output will put the ratio in favor of the N(noise). That's not to say you should use maximum output at all times of course, just use the knob for what makes sense and don't stare blind on the THD too much.. (imo!)

johan

Audio Company
Hi Restorer John

Volt+D is a design that came out a few years ago . Our main concern was engineering and not design . Yes the knob its rather hard to use but its a stepped attenuation with 0.1% resistors thin film and it gives you a way to attenuate thats independent of software volume control.

Is the Volt+ D a HIFI amp ? I would say that compared with good ones , it is not. Still in a world dominated by cheap units , its a standout (in my personal opinion)

Sonil , SNR depends on Signal vs Noise...if your signal increases a lot but the noise just a bit , you get better SNR at higher power. No amps are not supposed to clip at max power (unless signal feed is above specs)

Fragonard yes you can use anything under or equal to 31V

sonci99

Hi Restorer John

Volt+D is a design that came out a few years ago . Our main concern was engineering and not design . Yes the knob its rather hard to use but its a stepped attenuation with 0.1% resistors thin film and it gives you a way to attenuate thats independent of software volume control.

Is the Volt+ D a HIFI amp ? I would say that compared with good ones , it is not. Still in a world dominated by cheap units , its a standout (in my personal opinion)

Sonil , SNR depends on Signal vs Noise...if your signal increases a lot but the noise just a bit , you get better SNR at higher power. No amps are not supposed to clip at max power (unless signal feed is above specs)

When I use similar amplifiers as power amp, at full volume, with an external preamp, it doesn’t seem to perform as good as with their own volume pot, but probably it may be something else..

Poultrygeist

Hi Restorer John

I take it you have used a 31v power supply with the Volt +D? Lots of questions about this from owners on another forum. Allo.com only sells a 19v for the Volt+D and that's what they recommend.

Last edited:
Top Bottom