• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Allo Volt+ D Amplifier Review

Poultrygeist

Marcos Mazur

The Triangle Borea BR03 has great reviews and is just under $500. It's higher sensivity of 90dbs is a much better match for the Volt+D.

Thanks. I found the Triangle Borea BR03 interesting, from what i researched it is a clear and vivid sound, I'm thinking between this and the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 or the Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 which has a warmer sound, these also work well with Allo Volt+D class D amp?

Marcos Mazur

Forget it. Dont go loud. If you like to go loud, forget the amp and the speakers.
Sounds harsh? Yup buts the reality.

Wouldn't say it's because of loudness, I read in the Audiophile Style forum that some used 24v brick power supply with Allo Volt+D and had good results with sound quality and better bass, at least that's what people there said, I think it's something I would have to try to measure.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Wouldn't say it's because of loudness, I read in the Audiophile Style forum that some used 24v brick power supply with Allo Volt+D and had good results with sound quality and better bass, at least that's what people there said, I think it's something I would have to try to measure.

As long as you not go louder it will change absolutly nothing. And if you like to go louder it will run out of juice in a eyeblink. If you realy like to go louder think about 5 times more power. I know about this tpa amps and the change of voltage. Looks much more impressive on paper than it realy is. This are nice littel amps. But nothing to go loud with a average sensitive or even under average sensitive speaker.

I mean try it. But dont tell me the result after the first day. Tell me the result after switching back 10 days later. Switch it back 10 days later and then tell me your impression. Would be interesting.

Last edited:

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Very bright sound??? My Allo Volt +D recently arrived, I tested it and I was surprised with the quality, well detailed and transparent, not harsh, I'm very satisfied, BUT I noticed that the sound is a bit ''cold'' and tiring for hours, looks like a lack of ''warmth'',a bit bright more than that I expected, I've read that in all reviews that the sound is neutral, what can be the weakness of my setup? I don't believe it is a defect in something,

My Setup:

Speakers: Pioneer SB22-LR (neutral to warm sound signature) Connected to the amp by thick, shielded, decent quality cables.
DAC: Toppingo E30 (neutral to warm sound signature)
Powered with a phone charger and connected to the PC with an Audioquest Forest USB cable)
Connected to the amp with shielded and good quality RCA cable, everything updated, including the driver.
AMP: Allo Volt+D - powered with ''Allo'' 19v brick power supply)
If you can obtain the materials and aren't afraid of soldering and some deconstruction look here https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...-pioneer-sp-bs22-lr-diy-modifications.610820/

Those SB22s can become Amir-recommended Dennis Murphy Affordable Accuracy Monitors https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/affordable-accuracy-monitor-review.13624/

Emulator II

As long as you not go louder it will change absolutly nothing. And if you like to go louder it will run out of juice in a eyeblink. If you realy like to go louder think about 5 times more power. I know about this tpa amps and the change of voltage. Looks much more impressive on paper than it realy is. This are nice littel amps. But nothing to go loud with a average sensitive or even under average sensitive speaker.

I mean try it. But dont tell me the result after the first day. Tell me the result after switching back 10 days later. Switch it back 10 days later and then tell me your impression. Would be interesting.

I´ve tried the Allo Volt+ D with a 24V/8.4A PSU on the Wharfedale Linton (rated 90dB (2.0V/1m) / measured 88dB (2.0V/1m) by Stereophile). While sounding quiet good at moderate listening levels it runs into problems with bass heavy tracks at loud (not insane) listening levels. Fortunately the amp went into protection mode and recovered nicely without intervention, as Amir already said.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I´ve tried the Allo Volt+ D with a 24V/8.4A PSU on the Wharfedale Linton (rated 90dB (2.0V/1m) / measured 88dB (2.0V/1m) by Stereophile). While sounding quiet good at moderate listening levels it runs into problems with bass heavy tracks at loud (not insane) listening levels. Fortunately the amp went into protection mode and recovered nicely without intervention, as Amir already said.

It has to. They have not enough umpff. Absolutly ok for low to moderate listening levels. But there is no real difference between 20 or 24V. They run out of juice with 20v the same with 24V at louder bass. Power needet goes logarithmik up. Where should it come from?

Poultrygeist

Plenty of headroom with the 93 db Frugal Horns and 19v power supply. Adding the $32 FX tube preamp resulted in some nice gain and tube warmth.

P1010001 4.jpeg

Poultrygeist

The Volt+D's fidelity is good enough to build one's system around. I wouldn't select speakers less than 90 dbs as the TPA3118 chip even in it's dual mono configuration is limited in power. In my systems I often use a 13.8 v linear regulated PSU which gives me no less usable power than the 19v power brick. But power output of the +D it's not a limitation with efficient speakers. If you feel the +D is down on power the high gain FX Tube -01 is one solution. Amp power is relative to speaker sensitivity:

A 2 watt amp powering 96 db speakers plays as loud as a 70 watt amp powering 84 db speakers.

Walter

Yes I am. Different price point , diff specs. It wont be ready for a few months
Is this still in the works, or has COVID-19 or economic factors caused it to be canceled?

sychan

Forum Donor
Is this still in the works, or has COVID-19 or economic factors caused it to be canceled?
As of a month ago, the design of the amp was finalized and Johan was working out some final wrinkles with the PSU. He seemed to have been hit with supply chain issues, like many others. The numbers he was quoting at the time were getting into Purifi/Hypex levels, but he hasn't said anything for about a month now.

Walter

As of a month ago, the design of the amp was finalized and Johan was working out some final wrinkles with the PSU. He seemed to have been hit with supply chain issues, like many others. The numbers he was quoting at the time were getting into Purifi/Hypex levels, but he hasn't said anything for about a month now.
Thanks for the info. I was worried about the supply chain issues. Do "the numbers" refer to prices or performance (or both)? Where was he saying this?

Poultrygeist

Three years ago the allo.com rep ( cd games ) posted pictures of the new high power Volt prototype on diyaudio. I recall he said then it would be introduced the first of the year. Still waiting.

Last edited:

Walter

Top Bottom