• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Allo Katana DAC

Talisker

Hi,
I open this new thread in advance to collect informations, measurements, feelings, listen sensation,...
In my understanding, samples have send by Allo to all "significant" blogger including Amir off course as a independent professional measurer ... hope we will have some news soon,

The story of the Katana ...

We asked ourselves how it's possible to bring true HIFI sound to the RPi. We wanted a price point that is accessible to everyone, while blowing away any DAC made by anyone under $1000. Let's see if we succeeded.

1. DAC IC
First we chose a very capable IC, the Ess9038q2m. This IC has excellent specs (theoretical THD+N at -120) and the analog stage (output) is left to the designer (more on analog stage below). One extra advantage of the Ess9038q2m is DOP. Of course, we used super caps and everything in audio path is film caps and thin film R.

2. Clocks
Any delta sigma IC is very sensitive to the clocks (jitter). We used the "ultra low jitter clocks from NDK NZ2520SDA. We also made sure that power was filtered by 2 LDOs in series along with a HF filter. Noise tested is in uV. Of course, we also used buffers (that also has its power filtered 3 times ...).

What we achieved is the lowest jitter ever (390fs).

3. Analog Stage
There are two kinds of analog stages: transfos and opamps. A lot of people swear by trans (with good reason), and others chose specific monolithic opamps. Still, the consensus is that transfos are better as far as sound quality (but very expensive and bulky), and that opamps are better as far as THD+N numbers. If opamps are used, the quality of the PSU (opamps need dual rail 15V) is very important.

Still, we felt that opamps CAN be better than transfos.

We concentrated a lot of efforts on this analog stage. You see, monolithic (integrated circuits) opamps suffer from the fact that not enough real estate is available on the silicon die. (Read an excellent article on this here)

So our choice was ultimately to build a discreet opamp (with IV stage we got 6 of them), while feeding it from a DC/DC convertor that has filters on input (+ LDO) and filters on output (+ LDOs), and of a course, a common mode choke (each rail has independent filtering) for a total noise that is lower than 1mV.

However, building an opamp is not a trivial task. What we did is partner with SparkosLabs.com and used his excellent design (thank you Andrew the wizard!). Read one review of those opamps here.

Each board is then hand-trimmed (individually) for DC offset (when board is warm to simulate conditions of a board that been running for at least 45 minutes), and then programmed for THD+N compensation.

So in essence, our Katana DAC is an excellent implementation of the Ess9038q2m in Master Mode (we are the first to do so), with a discreet stage made by 6 opamps running in class A amplification. THD+N numbers (1Khz, 0 dbfs, a weighted) at -112.75!!!

Attachments

• katana-player.jpg
    katana-player.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 432

DuxServit

Forum Donor
Hi @Talisker,

Are you the vendor/maker/distributor of this product?

Also, could you add a link to Amir’s measurements page for this product, as I can’t find it.

OP
Talisker

Talisker

Hi @Talisker,
Are you the vendor/maker/distributor of this product?
Also, could you add a link to Amir’s measurements page for this product, as I can’t find it.
I have not link with this Indian Company, I'm just curious about new product, I bought one of their product the "DigiPlayer" and it sounds really good. The Research and development department is in France (not sure).
Measurements are not available right now, as I said I'm not sure if @amirm as received the DAC as we speak ... maybe he can confirm ...

DuxServit

Forum Donor
Well, your posting looks like an advertisement, praising the product, ahead of Amir’s review.

This is the approach/strategy used by some vendors on HF and CA.

OP
Talisker

Talisker

Ok sorry about that, I understood after reading myself that my thread could be misunderstanding, @DuxServit : Do you think it's better to remove it and wait for Amir reviews ? (As you notice English is not my mother tongue, what do you mean by HF and CA ?)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Cute plastic case.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Measurements are not available right now, as I said I'm not sure if @amirm as received the DAC as we speak ... maybe he can confirm ...
I got noticed that it shipped a day or two ago from India.

OP
Talisker

Talisker

@amirm : I'm interesting to know how you will manage your measurement for this device. Because is not only a DAC it's source as well, there is no input on it. Do you use sample in flac format to make your measurement or send signal from I2S connectors ?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm : I'm interesting to know how you will manage your measurement for this device. Because is not only a DAC it's source as well, there is no input on it. Do you use sample in flac format to make your measurement or send signal from I2S connectors ?
I have not given it a lot of thought but I am assuming with the attached host I can treat it like a Roon endpoint and play files through that. And then make measurements. Yes, it will be kind of painful and slow to do it. I have to play files manually on it and then switch to my analyzer to measure it.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This device seems functionally similar to a Raspberry Pi with a DAC stacked on top.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Huh, this line from specs sounds promising ("THD+N (1Khz, 0 dbfs, a weighted) at -112.75"), but if indeed 3 power supplies are needed for this to happen than I will keep my D10..

Last edited:
OP
Talisker

Talisker

I don't care or trust his subjective remarks but the rest was very useful.
I agree, and he sell this product on his web site so ... he can't be very objective
there is also a strange feeling in his report : "I can’t sustain a listening session of more than an hour without wanting to stop the music and take a rest."
@amirm : What you think about the burn-in process ? “We have over 20 film caps and 2 Suprecaps which need to stabilize. The burn in period is 2 weeks. Dac will become slightly better because Supercaps need a longer period than film capacitors. Like a good wine Katana gets better with age”.
I've been always suspicious about this "Rodage" period ...

Wombat

Master Contributor
Resisting 'Allo, 'Allo, series quotes, here.
listening_40_anim_gif.gif

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I agree, and he sell this product on his web site so ... he can't be very objective
there is also a strange feeling in his report : "I can’t sustain a listening session of more than an hour without wanting to stop the music and take a rest."
@amirm : What you think about the burn-in process ? “We have over 20 film caps and 2 Suprecaps which need to stabilize. The burn in period is 2 weeks. Dac will become slightly better because Supercaps need a longer period than film capacitors. Like a good wine Katana gets better with age”.
I've been always suspicious about this "Rodage" period ...
I was surprised the comment came from Allo. They are very objectively oriented. Perhaps they were responding in kind to the reviewer. He said nonsense regarding fatigue, and they gave him the standard subjectivist line back. :)

Regardless, I can measure this and see if there is an effect.

Top Bottom