• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Allo Boss2 software questions

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
I'm looking to pull the trigger on the Boss2 plug and play bundle with the RPi 4/alum case/Nirvana I'm stuck on a few questions

1. Which software to install. I will be streaming Spotify and considering adding Roon.

2. With consideration to using Roon what would be the benefits if I am just streaming Spotify into the Boss2 only to one stereo system I think the answer is room correction? If that is the case would I be better off with Dirac?

3. Can Dirac be used in a wireless capacity on this setup or will I need to have my computer wired in some way to implement?

4. Am I missing anything? Please let me know and any other pertinent words of wisdom are appreciates.

Edit to add: I will be using all Apple, MacBook Pro, Ipad, iPhone, but not airplay if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
I think the choices are Volumio vs. Mooode vs. DietPi aren't they? I would go with Mooode as it's easy to use and reliable. I have Volumio on a MiniDSP SHD and it's the weakest part. Mooode seems nicer, and has CamillaDSP. You will have to use the command line to add Roon if you need it.

Roon (for me) is really nice as I can use any system in the house without a computer running. It does not work with Spotify though, only Tidal or Qobuz.

You should be able to stream from your computer via Dirac, but I've never tried it, so can't be sure.

OP
Rufus T. Firefly

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
I think the choices are Volumio vs. Mooode vs. DietPi aren't they? I would go with Mooode as it's easy to use and reliable. I have Volumio on a MiniDSP SHD and it's the weakest part. Mooode seems nicer, and has CamillaDSP. You will have to use the command line to add Roon if you need it.

Roon (for me) is really nice as I can use any system in the house without a computer running. It does not work with Spotify though, only Tidal or Qobuz.

You should be able to stream from your computer via Dirac, but I've never tried it, so can't be sure.
Thanks, I was unaware that Roon was incompatible with Spotify.

I will look into Mooode on your rec.

amper42

Major Contributor
Thanks, I was unaware that Roon was incompatible with Spotify.

I will look into Mooode on your rec.
Moode is great. I use it with Audirvana in UPnP mode. Works like a charm with RPi4. No need for the Boss2 if you already have a quality DAC. I connect the RPi4 (Moode) to the RME ADI-2 DAC FS. If you don't have a DAC then Boss2 is a great option to connect to an amp or pre-amp. Moode has built in (Software) volume control. Moode also offers EQ options.

Roon or Audirvana directly support Qobuz (my favorite) or Tidal.

Moode offers a ton of options for Airplay, Bluetooth, UPnP and more. One of those options is a Spotify Renderer. See the Moode Audio screen below for the config page.

spotify.png

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm looking to pull the trigger on the Boss2 plug and play bundle with the RPi 4/alum case/Nirvana I'm stuck on a few questions

1. Which software to install. I will be streaming Spotify and considering adding Roon.

2. With consideration to using Roon what would be the benefits if I am just streaming Spotify into the Boss2 only to one stereo system I think the answer is room correction? If that is the case would I be better off with Dirac?

3. Can Dirac be used in a wireless capacity on this setup or will I need to have my computer wired in some way to implement?

4. Am I missing anything? Please let me know and any other pertinent words of wisdom are appreciates.

Edit to add: I will be using all Apple, MacBook Pro, Ipad, iPhone, but not airplay if that makes a difference.
I liked Moode. Easy to setup and use.

OP
Rufus T. Firefly

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
Moode is great. I use it with Audirvana in UPnP mode. Works like a charm with RPi4. No need for the Boss2 if you already have a quality DAC. I connect the RPi4 (Moode) to the RME ADI-2 DAC FS. If you don't have a DAC then Boss2 is a great option to connect to an amp or pre-amp. Moode has built in (Software) volume control. Moode also offers EQ options.

Roon or Audirvana directly support Qobuz (my favorite) or Tidal.

Moode offers a ton of options for Airplay, Bluetooth, UPnP and more. One of those options is a Spotify Renderer. See the Moode Audio screen below for the config page.

View attachment 162486
Thanks, I have looked to switching to Qobuz but I keep hearing that Spotify will be offering lossless (soon?) and with the playlists I have compiled, my kids on the family plan and I like the user experience a lot it just isn't practical to switch right now.

Curious to know what a Spotify Renderer is? Should I read that as a just something that supports Spotify for streaming or is there some kind of electronic gymnastics of consequence I should read up on before pulling the trigger?

amper42

Major Contributor
Enable the Spotify renderer in [Configuration] > [Moode Audio]. Then connect to the "Moode Spotify" device in the Spotify app to play Spotify on your Pi.

OP
Rufus T. Firefly

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
Does this thing need to be in direct line of sight? I would guess yes for the remote but no for functionality otherwise.

Does the remote have an on/off?

Any practical difference between the 2 gig and the 4 gig RPi4?

Last edited:

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
Does this thing need to be in direct line of sight? I would guess yes for the remote but no for functionality otherwise.

Does the remote have an on/off?

Any practical difference between the 2 gig and the 4 gig RPi4?
It will connect to your wifi or you can plug it into an ethernet connection.

OP
Rufus T. Firefly

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
It will connect to your wifi or you can plug it into an ethernet connection.
For sure, thanks.

The line of sight was more related to which case I might want to get.

Which raises another question, I would assume the unit should be grounded regardless of case. The alum case has a ground on the botton how does one ground the unit in acrylic?

Looks like the remote has no on off.

amper42

Major Contributor
For sure, thanks.

The line of sight was more related to which case I might want to get.

Which raises another question, I would assume the unit should be grounded regardless of case. The alum case has a ground on the botton how does one ground the unit in acrylic?

Looks like the remote has no on off.

I don't have a ground on my Boss2. I use the Nirvana PS with it and it's super clean. If I'm not having a 60Hz hum then I'm less likely to ground the Boss2. It's up to you, but I see many people over thinking these issues. If it sounds great - don't mess with it. :D

As far as the Boss2 remote it's not that great. It's line of sight and limited range. That's why controlling the unit with a phone/iPad/computer via wifi is superior for me. I put the Boss2 remote in my closet on day one and never use it. The computer web interface with Audirvana works best for me.

OP
Rufus T. Firefly

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
I don't have a ground on my Boss2. I use the Nirvana PS with it and it's super clean. If I'm not having a 60Hz hum then I'm less likely to ground the Boss2. It's up to you, but I see many people over thinking these issues. If it sounds great - don't mess with it. :D

As far as the Boss2 remote it's not that great. It's line of sight and limited range. That's why controlling the unit with a phone/iPad/computer via wifi is superior for me. I put the Boss2 remote in my closet on day one and never use it. The computer web interface with Audirvana works best for me.
Thanks, much appreciated!

Top Bottom