• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Allo Boss2 review: superb budget audio streamer (video)

amper42

Major Contributor
happy to say Ive had the Allo Boss2 for around 5 months or so and Very happy. I bought just the Dac hat and installed it on RPI4 and used the Boss2 Dac modified case for the Both including LEd screen. The Boss2 I have poweered by a Linear supply and the RPI by El cheapo Supply. The perfromance is great and sound is detailed and not sharp or fatiguing. My only complaint if it is one is the remote is pure junk lol have to be within 5 feet for it to work.

I don't use the Boss2 remote. I control Qobuz and local ripped music playback with Audirvana or local music with the Moode web interface. It works great. No need to use the remote at all as my phone, tablet or computer sends the data via UPnP. I would try the web interface if you don't have a favorite UPnP player. Distance is not an object with it.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a nice product. I ended up selling one though as it was underwhelming with Shairport / Airplay.

pbc

This looks interesting...I'm still a bit confused with how it is a streamer. I was looking at something like the Node 2i, then at one point, the PW-Link. Have an SMSL AO200 on order for amp duties, and a sealed SVS SB13 Ultra sub along with a couple of passive speakers (TBD).

Just wanted a basic, nice sounding, 2.1 audio system in my home office that doesn't need a PC to run, ideally I could use my phone with an app to stream from Amazon Music, possibly Tidal if I subscribe.

I currently have whole home audio via Sonos, so was also wondering if Sonos would work with something like this... https://snapcraft.io/install/sonos-controller-unofficial/raspbian

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This looks interesting...I'm still a bit confused with how it is a streamer. I was looking at something like the Node 2i, then at one point, the PW-Link. Have an SMSL AO200 on order for amp duties, and a sealed SVS SB13 Ultra sub along with a couple of passive speakers (TBD).

Just wanted a basic, nice sounding, 2.1 audio system in my home office that doesn't need a PC to run, ideally I could use my phone with an app to stream from Amazon Music, possibly Tidal if I subscribe.

I currently have whole home audio via Sonos, so was also wondering if Sonos would work with something like this... https://snapcraft.io/install/sonos-controller-unofficial/raspbian
It plugs into your network. You can connect via phone / tablet etc. It works really well.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Here's the manual.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks read that, guess what I'm wondering is can one get an "app-like" experience via their phone to control it. Like the Sonos App, BlueSound app, DTS Play Fi app, etc. Or is it simply a bluetooth connection to the phone?
What kind of phone? iPhone connects via AirPlay2 and Apple Music is the app. Amazon Music, Tital should all be the same but with different connection.

Fahzz

Forum Donor

Keep in mind the Boss 2 Player is very hard to find these days.

Top Bottom