• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Allo Boss2 Review (Stereo Streamer)

cbhere

Forum Donor
With the start of lossless audio on Apple Music and all tracks with min CD quality it’s time to check how we can use Boss2 to play these from an iPhone or iPad. The only way to get full resolution out is through the lighting cable so the big question is does Boss2 with moode/volumino/Dietpi support USB audio input through raspberrypi USB port. If this works we can even get spatial audio support also through Boss2.
My initial internet search has revealed that there are some challenges with it and that only the type C port on pi4 supports OTG for this type of input and most trials have failed to input audio through it as well.
Anyone who has tried or had a solution please support so that we can enjoy lossless/CD quality audio from Apple Music through Boss2.

Gaspar74

Hi I just picked up the Boss2 and coming from the Boss v 1.2 its an improvement id say. Whats everyone using for filter settings anyways?

Bmoze

Forum Donor
Johan or someone... wondering if you can help me here. I received my Boss 2 today. I want to use it in a room on my lower level. My Orbi router and Roon nucleus are located on the level above. For this reason I bought the Wi-Fi dongle, hoping that would work. I plugged it in but Roon doesn’t see it. The dongle’s brief installation guide says to download a driver to your computer and configure it. Went to the dongle’s website to figure out drivers, but none are available for OS 11. Am I missing something?

I first bought a us bridge signature. It is connected via Ethernet to an Orbi sattelite. Roon recognized it immediately and it works great. Im ok with getting a sattelite for downstairs and connecting the Boss to it via Ethernet, if I need to, just not sure. Thanks

dajoe

You configure the dongle on the Boss 2. The system image you use should come with all drivers you need.

For DietPi it was not obvious at first how to configure the dongle. On the DietPi website there ist a guide including FAQ (scroll down a bit until you find the WiFi section)

link

Bmoze

Forum Donor
Thanks for this info. This Boss is running Moode, but Il check out the menu structure.

johan

Audio Company
Johan or someone... wondering if you can help me here. I received my Boss 2 today. I want to use it in a room on my lower level. My Orbi router and Roon nucleus are located on the level above. For this reason I bought the Wi-Fi dongle, hoping that would work. I plugged it in but Roon doesn’t see it. The dongle’s brief installation guide says to download a driver to your computer and configure it. Went to the dongle’s website to figure out drivers, but none are available for OS 11. Am I missing something?

I first bought a us bridge signature. It is connected via Ethernet to an Orbi sattelite. Roon recognized it immediately and it works great. Im ok with getting a sattelite for downstairs and connecting the Boss to it via Ethernet, if I need to, just not sure. Thanks

Depending on OS , but generally you will see a new wifi signal coming from Boss2. Connect to it , then you can access the GUI of OS. Connect the WIFI (boss2)to your Orbi .

Gaspar74

Im running the Boss2 w RPI4 as a roon endpoint and on the display its showing 32 bit for a track that is 24 bit 96. Any ideas why this is? also can anyone give any good info on what the filters are. I find it sounds best with All engaged and Non OS engaged and slow rolloff.

johan

Audio Company
I think that you have 32 bit translation somewhere on your software

johan

Audio Company
I also hear a difference in sound when trying new DACs...seems to be a psychological effect . My perception changes in 2-3 days

sanathan

Maybe true. But definitely i can hear some diff in presentation between my older dac and this one. Maybe psychological too dont know
2 points i have for feedback
1) check the quality control first one i got didnt power and its a hassle getting a replacement due to covid situation although jestin helped me
2) please include printed setup guide as the options are varied according to diff os available etc...

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For this you don't need a computer, once its booted up just point the browser on the smartphone connected to the same network to the respective site(in my case I use moode audio so http://moode.local/) and it loads the interface for playing the files on the SD card or any USB drives connected to the device.
You also have option of Airplay and Spotify, once activated through settings your phone will directly stream to the player from the respective apps.
It's a great device and I enjoy using it..

Hi Johan,

it seems I made a bit of incremental progress as the unit now turns on.

I am quite lost as Moode does not allow to download just the iPad/iPhone app interface, but only the full package with the software to be installed on the microSD. I already have the microSD installed by Allo (see pic).
What is then the next step?
Thanks. Please explain it like you would to a child…
27196A1C-F75A-459D-AF1C-7E665E7685D7.jpeg

sofrep811

I’m ignorant to streamers. Can this be used with my Iphone and Apple Music or any other audio from my iphone?

Top Bottom