• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Allo Boss2 Review (Stereo Streamer)

johan

Audio Company
Hello

m8o , I understand the need for a small form factor however its becoming increasingly difficult to have a hi quality steamer in the HAT size.

Like everything , engineering is a compromise . We chose to have a bigger box , no HAT standard , with good specs.
Oled is giving full control over DAC ic...everything is open . Please take a look at the manual .

cehb , casing is only for RPI4.

Reactions: m8o

strada

Is there a way to bypass the DAC?

I've been looking for something for a while to add to my Benchmark DAC2 HGC.

Is SINAR only a measurement to look at if you are using the DAC in the device? Do you have to pay any attention to SINAR for a device when you are only using it as a steamer?

If I had to use the DAC in order to use the steamer, how would someone attenuate volume?

Thanks!

Cut-Throat

Is there a way to bypass the DAC?

I've been looking for something for a while to add to my Benchmark DAC2 HGC.

Is SINAR only a measurement to look at if you are using the DAC in the device? Do you have to pay any attention to SINAR for a device when you are only using it as a steamer?

If I had to use the DAC in order to use the steamer, how would someone attenuate volume?

Thanks!
Sure...... just buy a raspberry pi and run the USB to your dac.....around $50-$80 total.

Yoou can load software on the Raspberry Pi to Attenuate Volume with a Phone, Tablet or Laptop. --- Or I assume you have a Pre-amp which would be my first choice to adjust volume. Just like you do with any other source.

Last edited:

Theodore8

Forum Donor
@amirm thank you for another very informative review! Nice to see the "DAC Distortion" bar chart growing, but FYI, I can't locate the bar for the TEAC NT-503, reviewed a couple years ago.

Axel Endriss

Hello

Is it possible not to use a computer, but instead plug a 2to hard disc, and manage playing songs from a smartphone with application?
You can plug in an USB HD or stream via ethernet or WiFi from a mounted NAS drive or whatever. I run Volumio on a Boss Player (Allo Boss DAC + Allo Volt Amp), really happy with it :)

Cut-Throat

Hello

Is it possible not to use a computer, but instead plug a 2to hard disc, and manage playing songs from a smartphone with application?

Yes, I do it all the time..... This is what I have been taking traveling with me for 5 years now......

RPi - Aus.jpg

Gremlins

You can plug in an USB HD or stream via ethernet or WiFi from a mounted NAS drive or whatever. I run Volumio on a Boss Player (Allo Boss DAC + Allo Volt Amp), really happy with it :)
Thanks, might give a try then

Gremlins

Yes, I do it all the time..... This is what I have been taking traveling with me for 5 years now......

View attachment 127931
Thanks for picture
It could replace my actual daphile laptop plus smls sankrit mk2 set up?
How long does a boss player takes to turn opperational?

I guess there would not be any differences in dac sound?

MisOr

I got my delivery yestarday. I'm very happy with Boss2. Sound quality after a short warming of the device is really great. Even Spotify render sound way more than decent.
Does anybody knows how long will RPi4 lasts without switching the power off?

Last edited:

johan

Audio Company
Its will enter idling and will last for a very long time (thats what it was designed to do) .

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
I ordered one because of your wonderful review however I have to say they have the worst documentation of anything I have ever seen. No printed instructions. No links to the company on how to set the unit up.
Welcome Aboard @Patresi.

Alexo

I got my delivery yestarday. I'm very happy with Boss2. Sound quality after a short warming of the device is really great. Even Spotify render sound way more than decent.
Does anybody knows how long will RPi4 lasts without switching the power off?

This is my first post in this forum so.. hi all :)
As Johan wrote I also expect the player to last long enough for it to be a non-issue. Even if it breaks you can try to repair it, it doesn't cost too much to replace and you can do it by yourself, that's great IMHO.
One thing that bothers me a little is the power consumption: Boss2 player and Nirvana power supply use a little less than 6w when in Idle, and that's too much for a device that should be kept always running. Power consumption is around 4w even when the RPI4 is turned off via terminal, so it does not seem to me there's much room to improve consumption via configuration.

johan

Audio Company
Hello Patresi

there is no instruction on software because its all open source and you can find on theire website full instruction and a very responsive community to help. Please visit moodeaudio.org , volumio.org or any other os.player that you need.
Alexo most of the power consumption is from RPI , our team is already looking if we can improve it...but I cannot guarantee it

Aurel71

Hello everyone,
I measured the consumption at rest of the Boss 2 Acrylic with an RPI3B + and an RPI3A + under Moode 7.2 in 5ghz WiFi:

RPI3B+ + Nirvana 2.85A = 3.7 watts
RPI3B+ + Allo Made in china power supply 3.0A= 2.7 watts
RPI3B+ + IFI power supply 2.5A= 3.7 watts

RPI3A+ + Nirvana 2.85A= 2.1 watts
RPI3A+ + Allo Made in china power supply 3.0A = 1.7 watts
RPI3A+ + IFI power supply 2.5A= 2.0 watts

Top Bottom