• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Allo Boss2 Review (Stereo Streamer)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Allo Boss2 Ethernet (and wifi) streamer/player. It was sent to me by the company for testing and costs US $149 by itself. My tested configuration included the Nirvana power supply which brings the cost up to US $209.

I must say, I am very pleased to see Allo upgrade from clear cases of the past to rather attractive aluminum enclosure:

Allo Boss2 Ethernet Wifi Streamer Review.jpg

The menus are a bit slow but are worlds better than not having them. A remote control is provided which I did not have to use:

Allo Boss2 Rhaspberry Pi Ethernet Wifi Streamer Review.jpg

As you can see, a stereo DAC is preinstalled so this is not just a digital streamer but a complete playback device. Combined with the remote, all you need are powered speakers or an amp and passive speakers and you are in business.

An image of DietPi was kindly preinstalled on the unit for me so I was able to instantly recognize and use the Boss2 with my Roon player. All test signal were run through Roon. As such, I am limited to static tests and not anything that includes a sweep.

Allo Boss2 Measurements
As usual, we start with our dashboard:

Allo Boss2 Streamer Measurements.png

Wow, this is great performance, rivaling some of the best desktop DACs:

best sterem streamer.png

Dynamic range is also excellent although one channel is a bit more noisy than the other:

Allo Boss2 Streamer DNR Measurements.png

Jitter performance is great as well:

Allo Boss2 Streamer jitter Measurements.png

32-tone test signal resembling "music" shows distortion well below threshold of audibility:

Allo Boss2 Streamer Multitone Measurements.png

Conclusions
The Allo Boss2 performs excellently and on par with separate components. Yet here, you have it all integrated in one box, ready to go at the same or more competitive price. The value add in the form of the display and remote is great. What can I say, you need to run and buy one. :)

It is my pleasure to recommend the Allo Boss2 streamer and player.

Edit: video review just posted:

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Love the feature set and quirky enclosure.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Would someone be so kind as to tell me what the modern accepted definition of a "streamer" is these days? I'm a little lost here and thanks.
Basically is the ability to "remote" the playback. That is, put a box in your stereo rack but have the control be on some computer elsewhere. This way your PC doesn't need to be next to the audio equipment.

m8o

Forum Donor
What a bargain! ALLO remains the top of the RPi DAC HAT heap.

Was upset they discontinued the Katana. I have Boss v1. And wanted a Katana but didnt buy one soon enough. Glad to see this makes that hurt go away.

Kewl case. But as I like to use a 7" screen with RoPieee displaying what Roon is playing to it, I cant see myself using it.

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does the power supply make a difference?

Dathzo

Thanks @amirm, great review as always. I understand you measured the Boss2 with the Nirvana power supply. Would you be so kind and measure it again with a “regular” power supply? Just want to see those graphs unchanged :). Thank you!

Last edited:

The Capstan

Thanks Amir.
Is it possible to have a teardown of the device? Also, I associate with 617 about curiosity on power supply effect on overall performance.

Ale.

Gremlins

Hello

Is it possible not to use a computer, but instead plug a 2to hard disc, and manage playing songs from a smartphone with application?

beeface

I know it's silly to to caught up with panthers, but I have to wonder what prevented this from earning a golfing panther. Looks good.

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Interesting little thing!

I was just setting up a Pi-based streamer myself two weeks ago. I've still yet to connect it to my external DAC and AVR. Debating using an old DAC I have (RCA out), or if anyone has a recommendation for a good way to get digital coax or optical out from the Pi).

vrobec

Nice to see another great Pi HAT DAC review. Seems to be so good for the price. Thinking about to stay with SMSL SK10 MKII or switch to Piano2. ;)

Gremlins

Nice to see another great Pi HAT DAC review. Seems to be so good for the price. Thinking about to stay with SMSL SK10 MKII or switch to Piano2. ;)
What sonic value added would you expect?

Top Bottom