• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Allo Boss2 Review (Stereo Streamer)

dguillor

Forum Donor
Please forgive my ignorance, but I can’t find whether this device supports Airplay. I have been frustrated with the lack of inexpensive devices for Airplay. Also, are there opinions about how robust this solution would be, ie will it last or will I be looking for a new solution soon. Thanks for any answers.

johan

Audio Company
Every player I know supports Airplay endpoint (moode , dietpi , volumio , PcP , Ropie and more)

m8o

Forum Donor
A version with balanced out would be really nice.
As you saw I agreed. But I just looked into the DAC chip this uses. From the description & general specs it doesn't appear to have differential out. Which would be the only way I'd want to see a balanced out provided; originating from the DAC chip, vs manufactured in the analog domain.

https://www.cirrus.com/products/cs43198/

So if Allo was to offer that (balanced out), it would be a different product with a very different dac chip vs a generational evolution of this product. Of course they can choose to name it anything they want; carrying the Boss v#.# name if they so choose. ;) but to me, imo, it would be a different product.

Music1969

Major Contributor
As you saw I agreed. But I just looked into the DAC chip this uses. It doesn't appear to have differential out. Which would be the only way I'd want to see a balanced out provided; originating from the DAC chip, vs manufactured in the analog domain.

So if Allo was to offer that (balanced out), it would be a different product with a very different dac chip vs a generational evolution of this product. Of course they can choose to name it anything they want; carrying the Boss v#.# name if they so choose. ;) but to me, imo, it would be a different product.

Good investigating! Without even checking I was talking about a different product anyway but I hadn't gone into the finer details you had. I'm not smart enough anyway :-(

Thanks for checking!

dguillor

Forum Donor
As you saw I agreed. But I just looked into the DAC chip this uses. It doesn't appear to have differential out. Which would be the only way I'd want to see a balanced out provided; originating from the DAC chip, vs manufactured in the analog domain.

So if Allo was to offer that (balanced out), it would be a different product with a very different dac chip vs a generational evolution of this product. Of course they can choose to name it anything they want. ;) but to me, imo, it would be a different product.

I don’t think that this is correct. You could add an unbalanced to balanced converter circuit after the DAC, and with good design it would be close to perfect. I am an electrical engineer.

Michael Kelly

Audio Company
Forum Donor
I don’t think that this is correct. You could add an unbalanced to balanced converter circuit after the DAC, and with good design it would be close to perfect. I am an electrical engineer.

Or use dual mono to get lower noise floor as well.

m8o

Forum Donor
Ya, I know that too. I have run 4 Aphex 124a buffers at one point for single ended to balanced conversion in multiple systems as the differential input of the amps noticeably increased gain (as it should) and decreased noise (as it should). It was "good enough for me" for those use cases. (But as an aside, I knew those systems happened to have high noise too and didnt worry that much at the time.)

But this is a super inexpensive product which manages to have pretty much class leading performance, not just for DAC HATs but DACs in general. You said "with good design" so it's clear you imply care be taken. And Allo probably would. But that too increases cost. In my mind I was thinking about that single ended to balanced [ahem] 'pro' device Amir tested with the utterly horrendous performance, and circuit that showed the inverse signal that was produced with one inverter and zero care taken to ensure against non-linearities exclusively to the negative signal out from that. I mostly dont think Allo would do it that way; or I hope they wouldnt. But others clearly do when price is a major consideration. ;)

Last edited:

Dathzo

Sure. I grabbed one of the high-power generic switching supplies Allo had given me in the past. At first it generated a lot of power supply noise but then discovered a ground terminal underneath Boss2. Once I used that to ground it to my Audio Precision, all the noise went away. Seems like by default the device is floating. Likely this would have improved the performance with the fancy supply as well (doesn't impact distortions though):

View attachment 126988

So I don't think you need the fancier power supply other than it helping with ground loops.
Thanks a lot Sir! Great to see this

MCH

Major Contributor
hi, i really want to avoid more boxes in my second system, want to keep it as small and discrete as possible, and i am about to build the smallest and most discrete thing i can think about:

a pi zero w with the miniboss dac hat "attached" with male to male RCA connectors (so no even cables) to the back of my amplifier. the streamer is so small and light that the connectors will hold it to the amplifier. No need to touch or even see it anymore.

Now the question for you guys. Any opinions on how the pi zero+miniboss performs? i struggle to find any decent review.

thanks!

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I see a +/- button on the remove. Can this device control volume on the RCA ?

MCH

Major Contributor
and yeah, i know it is not going to be like a pi 4 + boss2, but the 3 time less cost and 8? times less volume are valuable for me :)

amarsicola

Forum Donor
This little box and a pair of the surprisingly well measuring Kliisch The Fives would make a nifty little mid-century modern second or third system for a bedroom or small den.

Martin

Hi Martin, there are several active bookshelf speakers costing less and performing much better than those Klipsch, e.g. check in this site anything reviewed from Kali audio, JBL, Adam etc.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice inexpensive gear is the gateway drug. Thank you @amirm

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Martin, there are several active bookshelf speakers costing less and performing much better than those Klipsch, e.g. check in this site anything reviewed from Kali audio, JBL, Adam etc.

You missed the point of my post; none your listed alternatives can touch the looks of these retro beauties:
The-Fives_Walnut_Front-Grilles.jpg

After all, you have to look at them, they may as well be handsome. ;)

Martin

cbhere

Forum Donor
Johan, I presume you can use the pi4 wifi as well? No need for an external wifi dongle?
You can use the internal WiFi on the pi 4 but the range is low, with external dongle you get better signal and longer range

cbhere

Forum Donor
Please forgive my ignorance, but I can’t find whether this device supports Airplay. I have been frustrated with the lack of inexpensive devices for Airplay. Also, are there opinions about how robust this solution would be, ie will it last or will I be looking for a new solution soon. Thanks for any answers.
It supports Airplay I have streamed YouTube audio through airplay and it works flawlessly

Ismapics

@amirm , Great review. Its a great value too, you get the Pi, the DAC, Remote, Screen and Case for $154. not bad at all + $59.00 for the PSU for $213 total.

Top Bottom