• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Allo Boss2 Review (Stereo Streamer)

johan

Audio Company
@BikeSmith60

One idea that can explain what you hear...can you check on your Oled screen if HV enable is On ? Otherwise you will compare 2.1Vrms (of Squeezebox) to 1.7Vrms (Boss2 HV enable Off) levels .. HV On is 2.0Vrms

Last edited:

johan

Audio Company
I have spoken to our team regarding the output level changes . Please note that once new level is selected , it will be applied on next song (its not instant). I have asked to edit the manual along with the filter responses .

Meanwhile you can see filter response on the datasheet page 122

Last edited:

Madeintooting

Hello Johan.
Received mine from the PiHut last week and overall very pleased, thank you for your efforts.
A few observations.

Much clearer than PCM Series DACs
Streaming significantly louder than playing from USB.
Will play 24/176 streamed from Foobar but not direct from USB (Moode?)
Could do with some soft feet, currently using one of the inserts from the extremely good packing to avoid scratches.

Thanks again.

johan

Audio Company
I will meet the team and see how we can implement the soft feet. Seems that 24/176 is related to software , we will investigate .

Are you using Nirvana SMPS ? Did you earth the unit ?

Madeintooting

At the moment using standard pisupply with adaptor to DC Jack, haven't tried earthing yet, will run a wire to amp and see.

johan

Audio Company
I just spoke to the main engineer ...24/176 is only for DOP not PCM. If you wish to play any PCM at 176Khz please use 32 instead of 24 .All other sample rates , PCM work at both 24 and 32 bits.

Last edited:

johan

Audio Company
If you have Nirvana..easy . I will check with the team how to do it on acrylic case (with cheap PSU)

johan

Audio Company
No need...just use the switch of Nirvana on earth and your Boss2 is earthed

johan

Audio Company
For Shanti I will need to check with our team

SgtDuke

When I press pause or a playlist ends in Moode (7.2.1), while playing via SMB share and Wi-Fi dongle, the speakers emit a brief scratching noise. Are there any settings that I could adjust to try and prevent it? Or could it be a hardware issue?

Last edited:

Labjr

Major Contributor
I'd like to see good articles and videos explaining how streaming works. Because I've been reading about it for several days now and I'm still confused. o_O

I've been using Foobar and a trial version of JRiver which is the only player I've been able to successfully connect to and control remotely with my phone.

johan

Audio Company
@SgtDuke we will investigate .
@Labjr , streaming is easy. Use your phone/pad with app for online music (spotify , tidal , qobuz and many others). Cast from your phone using airplay (if iOS) or upnp/dlna if Android (Boss2 is the end point). Music will play.

SgtDuke

@SgtDuke we will investigate .
I wrote a fresh image of Moode to a different SD card, left most of the audio settings at defaults, and no longer have the scratching noise issue. It seems that one of my previous changes to the output voltage or filters was the cause. Now it is sounding and working nicely and I will enjoy it for a while before I start experimenting with the settings and break something again. :)

Top Bottom