• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Allo Boss2 Review (Stereo Streamer)

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Attach the computer with ethernet cable directly to Boss2.

1. INITIAL SETUP

a) Insert ethernet cable
b) Power on
c) type http://moode or moode.local in computer web browser to connect to Moode on Boss2. This will bring up configuration options on your computer screen.

This will allow you to set IP address and Moode settings. You need to read the "initial configuration setup" page link I provided earlier to go further.

NikolasA

What is at the other end of the network cable?
Attach the computer with ethernet cable directly to Boss2.

1. INITIAL SETUP

a) Insert ethernet cable
b) Power on
c) type http://moode or moode.local in computer web browser to connect to Moode on Boss2. This will bring up configuration options on your computer screen.

This will allow you to set IP address and Moode settings. You need to read the "initial configuration setup" page link I provided earlier to go further.
I have made considerable progress THANK YOU :)

I have a few more questions…

You were correct and I had moode preloaded. I went ahead and did the Check for software updates option from the System Config page.

It updated a couple times with a reboot each time..

It now sits at 7.3.0 2021-06-25
RaspiOS 10.6

It will not let me update from the gui any further it says system up to date.

I see there is a 8.3.7 version available is my unit supported? Sorry I can’t decipher what the model numbers mean under the 32 or 64 bit versions.
I have a Pi-4B 1.4 4gb

Also in the system config do I have to enable the SSH server and set up user pass there? The initial configuration setup page link you provided doesn’t really go over how to do the ssh stuff just that it’s required..

Thanks again your help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1696.jpeg
    IMG_1696.jpeg
    396.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1698.jpeg
    IMG_1698.jpeg
    399.3 KB · Views: 33

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have made considerable progress THANK YOU :)

I have a few more questions…

You were correct and I had moode preloaded. I went ahead and did the Check for software updates option from the System Config page.

It updated a couple times with a reboot each time..

It now sits at 7.3.0 2021-06-25
RaspiOS 10.6

It will not let me update from the gui any further it says system up to date.

I see there is a 8.3.7 version available is my unit supported? Sorry I can’t decipher what the model numbers mean under the 32 or 64 bit versions.
I have a Pi-4B 1.4 4gb

Also in the system config do I have to enable the SSH server and set up user pass there? The initial configuration setup page link you provided doesn’t really go over how to do the ssh stuff just that it’s required..

Thanks again your help is much appreciated.

Users have reported issues with the latest Moode. I would stay where you are and not update any further. Be sure you can get it working and start using it rather than possibly breaking it with the latest MOODE.

I never used SSH. I simply use the on-screen menu's to configure Boss2.

You will need to select the services you want to support in the menu system. Airplay, DLNA, etc. I use DLNA and stream Qobuz to the Boss2 with Audirvana. Remember, after saving new settings the Boss2 may need to be restarted and you will need to wait for the RPI4 to startup before a connection can be made.

If you are using ethernet as your connection you won't need to setup wifi which can be flaky with the Boss2. Just be sure you set it up for ethernet in the menu. Have fun!

Fahzz

Forum Donor
Assuming you're trying to play music, maybe try piCore Player and Squeezebox (LMS) software? The installation process is relatively simple and there's some good help pages on line. Just a suggestion.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Assuming you're trying to play music, maybe try piCore Player and Squeezebox (LMS) software? The installation process is relatively simple and there's some good help pages on line. Just a suggestion.

Moode is as simple as it comes and offers lots of startup docs. I would suggest the user get Moode working first before trying piCore player which requires significantly more time and knowledge to setup. If he can overcome the simple learning curve of Moode he can always buy another disk and try piCore. Baby steps are usually best for novices.

NikolasA

Couple days ago I didn’t know if my unit even powers up :) :) I’ll take baby steps and hope to graduate soon to other flavors. Appreciate the suggestion. Amper thank you !

Videoteque73

First I had a Raspberry 3 and it worked great a couple of years and then the wifi broke. The I had an Allo Boss with Raspberry 4, it worked a couple of years and now Usb ports stopped working. I used mostly to read files from a hard-disk. I have zero attraction to buy another Raspberry. What can I buy to read files from a hard disk?

phion

I have an Allo Boss 2 player that I use as a streamer dac. I am thinking of connecting my TV output to my hifi system via a HDMI arc extractor. I am wondering if I can then connect the USB output of this to one of Allo's Rpi port and use its dac?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
First I had a Raspberry 3 and it worked great a couple of years and then the wifi broke. The I had an Allo Boss with Raspberry 4, it worked a couple of years and now Usb ports stopped working. I used mostly to read files from a hard-disk. I have zero attraction to buy another Raspberry. What can I buy to read files from a hard disk?
a NUC?

Fahzz

Forum Donor
I've had Allo Digione and Boss2 Players. Both ran well for awhile, but then didn't, and it became a crap shoot whether it would work everyday. I recently bought a Beelink Mini PC, and installed LMS. So far, so great.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an Allo Boss 2 player that I use as a streamer dac. I am thinking of connecting my TV output to my hifi system via a HDMI arc extractor. I am wondering if I can then connect the USB output of this to one of Allo's Rpi port and use its dac?
No - all the Pi USB porrts are host ports. The Pi cant act as a device to receive from a host.

Top Bottom