• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Allo Boss2/Moodeaudio set up questions.

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
From time to time I am humbled by the inability to figure things out. I have the Boss2 Rpi4 in the blue aluminum case that came pre loaded with Moode. I have it powered up and an ethernet connection but that's where it all falls apart.

I've looked at the set up guide, but honestly that thing just raised more question.

Is there a guide or video or ??? that can help the challenged?

amper42

Major Contributor
Here is the setup guide:

If that seems like greek, here are some tips.
1. After powered and attached to router open web browser and type: moode.local
This should open the web interface. If you don't need wifi connection ignore that part of setup.
If it doesn't find the RPi4, then open your router web interface, find the assigned IP address for the RPI4 and type it into your browser or look at the IP address shown on the Boss2 screen.

2. Decide how you want to connect. Airplay, UPnP, Bluetooth?
Go to Audio tab in web interface and turn on the services you want.

3. Decide if you will stream music to it or insert a USB drive full of music to select and play with the web interface.
It's pretty easy to figure out the web interface just move slowly until you feel comfortable.

I have not seen a detailed written manual or video but once you get the hang of each menu area its pretty easy to customize Moode.

OP
Rufus T. Firefly

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
I have seen that guide it might as well be in Greek. I typed the IP address in the browser and it looks like it connects and I get a Moode interface. I can see radio stations and I can get them to play on the interface but hot through the stereo.

I turned the spotify renderer on but I don't know what else to do to get moode to see my spotify account.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From time to time I am humbled by the inability to figure things out. I have the Boss2 Rpi4 in the blue aluminum case that came pre loaded with Moode. I have it powered up and an ethernet connection but that's where it all falls apart.

I've looked at the set up guide, but honestly that thing just raised more question.

Is there a guide or video or ??? that can help the challenged?
Most of the settings are sensible defaults without any need for changing. As said above it does need to be told which device to put out to. If you follow the setup instructions to the letter and in sequence you’ll get there.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
The trick is to follow a precise sequence. Just had the same experience yesterday but succeeded after a while. 1 moment, I'll check and add the instructions here.

"I have the Boss2 Rpi4 in the blue aluminum case that came pre loaded with Moode. I have it powered up and an ethernet connection but that's where it all falls apart."

Accessing Mo0de
Start up your laptop or desktop computer (or phone). In your browser type in the address that your router assigned to the Boss Rpi4.
Use http://moode, moode.local or IP address, whichever works on your network. Typically, Android OS will only work with IP address.
You can find the ip address using an app called ServiceBrowser on your phone. Just tap on the results until you find "moode". 192.188.1.22 or something similar. * In the browser type in this address and press enter. The moode home screen appears.

Configuring Mo0de for your streamer
Now go to the top right and click on the "M". Then "Configure", then "Audio". You are now in the Audio Config screen.
Click "Named Device" dropdown and choose Allo Boss2. Click Set. Click top right "M" -> power-> restart.
Wait until the restart finishes and click connect. You may have to try 2 or 3 times for the page to load .

Scroll down to MPD options and click Edit. In the MPD config screen click "Output device"dropdown and select Boss2.
Under Mixer type select "Fixed 0 db". Then Top left click Save.

Configuring Mo0de to recognise your NAS

Now Moode in configured and internet radio should be working.
To connect to your NAS select top right "M" -> configure - > Library. The Library Config screen appears.
Click "Create" and choose "Type" Samba SMB, path "the path to your NAS, usually something like the NAS name and then the folder name where your music resides. For example: MyNAS/music. Or use the app service browser to find out the name or address. You could also type the nas address followed by the folder, something like 192.188.3.54/music
The add the user name and password which has access to the NAS folder.
After "Name" fill out a name. For example MyMusic. Click Save.
Now when you go back to the home screen. by clicking the <- (back) button on the Moode screen you will see your NAS.
(Or going directly to http://192.188.1.22/index.php, fill in your own addres followed by /index.php)
Click NAS-> MyMusic-> Click a folder, click an album click any song or on the album itself and click play on the popup screen that appears. You're done

NB: if you disconnect the ethernet cable your router can reassign a new address to moode.
Then just open the ServiceBrowser on your phone and find the new address.

*This is just an example not my real address

Last edited:
OP
Rufus T. Firefly

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
Most of the settings are sensible defaults without any need for changing. As said above it does need to be told which device to put out to. If you follow the setup instructions to the letter and in sequence you’ll get there.
It is outputting to the Allo Boss2, unless that is incorrect I have that part solved.

Thanks for the words of encouragement and tip. I don't know if I can follow the instructions as previously stated they are cryptic to me and seem to be written for somebody who is fluent in computers and unfortunately I am not.

OP
Rufus T. Firefly

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
The trick is to follow a precise sequence. Just had the same experience yesterday but succeeded after a while. 1 moment, I'll check and add the instructions here.

"I have the Boss2 Rpi4 in the blue aluminum case that came pre loaded with Moode. I have it powered up and an ethernet connection but that's where it all falls apart."

Accessing Mo0de
Start up your laptop or desktop computer (or phone). In your browser type in the address that your router assigned to the Boss Rpi4.
Use http://moode, moode.local or IP address, whichever works on your network. Typically, Android OS will only work with IP address.
You can find the ip address using an app called ServiceBrowser on your phone. Just tap on the results until you find "moode". 192.188.1.22 or something similar. * In the browser type in this address and press enter. The moode home screen appears.

Configuring Mo0de for your streamer
Now go to the top right and click on the "M". Then "Configure", then "Audio". You are now in the Audio Config screen.
Click "Named Device" dropdown and choose Allo Boss2. Click Set. Click top right "M" -> power-> restart.
Wait until the restart finishes and click connect. You may have to try 2 or 3 times for the page to load .

Scroll down to MPD options and click Edit. In the MPD config screen click "Output device"dropdown and select Boss2.
Under Mixer type select "Fixed 0 db". Then Top left click Save.

Configuring Mo0de to recognise your NAS
Now Moode in configured and internet radio should be working.
To connect to your NAS select top right "M" -> configure - > Library. The Library Config screen appears.
Click "Create" and choose "Type" Samba SMB, path "the path to your NAS, usually something like the NAS name and then the folder name where your music resides. For example: MyNAS/music. Or use the app service browser to find out the name or address. You could also type the nas address followed by the folder, something like 192.188.3.54/music
The add the user name and password which has access to the NAS folder.
After "Name" fill out a name. For example MyMusic. Click Save.
Now when you go back to the home screen. by clicking the <- (back) button on the Moode screen you will see your NAS.
(Or going directly to http://192.188.1.22/index.php, fill in your own addres followed by /index.php)
Click NAS-> MyMusic-> Click a folder, click an album click any song or on the album itself and click play on the popup screen that appears. You're done

NB: if you disconnect the ethernet cable your router can reassign a new address to moode.
Then just open the ServiceBrowser on your phone and find the new address.

*This is just an example not my real address
Thanks I will try again. I feel like I'm somewhat close but there ar some weird things going on as well. When I go M -> configure -> network I get an IP address assignment for ethernet and an IP assignment address for wifi. Also this program has permanently put in passwords for WIFI and Access Point and I can't get them to go away even after removing them from my password cain on my browser (Safari, I might try using Chrome and see if that alleviates the problem)

I'll report back later today.

Many thanks for the advice and instructions!

MCH

Major Contributor
If after following the instructions you still have problems, both allo and moodeaudio have their own forums with very knowledgeable people willing to help, especially moode (moodeaudio.org)

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Terrible set-up interface for my Allo Boss2:

So, I turn the Allo Boss2 blue box on and I see in the small screen

"Boss2

HOST:moode
172.24.1.1"

I connect the Boss2 with USB to USB cable to my Apple MacBook Pro. It is not visible by my MacBook, not even with a new finder window. So I guess I cannot set up the Boss2 with USB cable connected to my MacBook Pro

I do not have an ethernet plug on my MacBook. Only my modem router has an ethernet plug. I do not have an home ethernet system. Shall I connect the Boss2 with ethernet cable to the modem/router?

And then what?

Or shall I go another way?

It also comes with a Comfast 1200 Mbps USB wireless adapter: do I need to install the driver (that comes in a mini-CD and does not work in slot CD readers) for MacOS Catalina?

Why is it so user unfriendly? Or is it me not being enough computer savvy?

My goal is to use the Boss2 as a music router USB connected to SSID of about 4 terabytes to access my digital FLAC CD collection, and play through the RCA outputs. I guess there is no digital output on the Boss2?

Thank you for writing a help step-by-step guide.

A

amper42

Major Contributor
Terrible set-up interface for my Allo Boss2:

So, I turn the Allo Boss2 blue box on and I see in the small screen

"Boss2

HOST:moode
172.24.1.1"

I connect the Boss2 with USB to USB cable to my Apple MacBook Pro. It is not visible by my MacBook, not even with a new finder window. So I guess I cannot set up the Boss2 with USB cable connected to my MacBook Pro

I do not have an ethernet plug on my MacBook. Only my modem router has an ethernet plug. I do not have an home ethernet system. Shall I connect the Boss2 with ethernet cable to the modem/router?

And then what?

Or shall I go another way?

It also comes with a Comfast 1200 Mbps USB wireless adapter: do I need to install the driver (that comes in a mini-CD and does not work in slot CD readers) for MacOS Catalina?

Why is it so user unfriendly? Or is it me not being enough computer savvy?

My goal is to use the Boss2 as a music router USB connected to SSID of about 4 terabytes to access my digital FLAC CD collection, and play through the RCA outputs. I guess there is no digital output on the Boss2?

Thank you for writing a help step-by-step guide.

A

Moode setup instructions are found here:

The Boss2 is designed to pass music to a receiver/amp with the RCA jacks on the back. It has an internal DAC that accepts the wifi/ethernet signal you send to it and passes it to your sound system/speakers.

Most people connect the Boss2 to their router with an ethernet cable then open a browser window on a local computer and type http://moode, moode.local or IP address, whichever works on your network. Personally, I look at the router to find out what IP was assigned to Moode and program it using the IP.

The Boss2 Aluminum case interferes with the RPI4 onboard wifi signal so the Comfast 1200 Mbps USB wireless adapter can be used instead of the RPI4 board level wifi. But, if you are near the router configuring Moode you can worry about that later.

You can also plug the Boss2 directly into a router and use it without wifi should you not have a home wifi network which is rare these days. The entire interface to the Boss2 with the MacBook will be through a web browser window. Once you get that working you can turn on the services you desire. I use UPnP but you may want Airplay?

It's a learning curve but if you follow the setup.txt you will get there in no time. :D

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Moode setup instructions are found here:

The Boss2 is designed to pass music to a receiver/amp with the RCA jacks on the back. It has an internal DAC that accepts the wifi/ethernet signal you send to it and passes it to your sound system/speakers.

Most people connect the Boss2 to their router with an ethernet cable then open a browser window on a local computer and type http://moode, moode.local or IP address, whichever works on your network. Personally, I look at the router to find out what IP was assigned to Moode and program it using the IP.

The Boss2 Aluminum case interferes with the RPI4 onboard wifi signal so the Comfast 1200 Mbps USB wireless adapter can be used instead of the RPI4 board level wifi. But, if you are near the router configuring Moode you can worry about that later.

You can also plug the Boss2 directly into a router and use it without wifi should you not have a home wifi network which is rare these days. The entire interface to the Boss2 with the MacBook will be through a web browser window. Once you get that working you can turn on the services you desire. I use UPnP but you may want Airplay?

It's a learning curve but if you follow the setup.txt you will get there in no time. :D
Thank you! Indeed, connected with a Ethernet cable to the rooter, the interface of moode appears on my MacBook Pro…

OP
Rufus T. Firefly

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
Thank you! Indeed, connected with a Ethernet cable to the rooter, the interface of moode appears on my MacBook Pro…
Glad you finally figured it out it. It’s a pleasure to use once one has come up the learning curve.

Top Bottom