• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

All room corrections are detrimental to sound clarity for me

OCA

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Audio chain: foobar2000, Lexicon Alpha, ESI aktiv 10s subwoofer, M-Audio BX5 D3 monitors. Small, average bed(room), no treatments. Tried everything I can for months with hundreds of measurements: MathAudio Room EQ, IK ARC 3, Sonarworks, REW (with convolver foobar component).

I ended up with REW RTA optimization.
The BX5 D3 monitors "acoustic space" switch set to -4 dB (no, they are not in a corner or near wall, they are just most "flat" this way).
The lowest crossover frequency (50 Hz) is enough, this allows higher subwoofer level setting (for <100 Hz) without overboosting the crossover zone. The 100 Hz high pass filter engaged, for cleaner crossover zone and lower monitor woofer distortion. Subwoofer and full range peaks leveled out, and continuous phase set to where the crossover zone is most balanced according to RTA.
With digital room correction it is worth to experiment with unusual speaker placements. Reflections from nearby walls are more difficult to correct when they are away from the main spike. So placing the speakers near to the walls, may be even in the corners (or leave your acoustic space switch as is in your case) might sometime give better results provided that there's some absorbing material near the speakers to remove early reflections in the high frequency range as high frequency correction is only able to correct direct sound.

You can also give my tutorial a try. It's a bit old now and I have changed some methods lately but a lot of people in Roon community seem to like their results with it:

Last edited:
Reactions: czt
OP
czt

czt

You can also give my tutorial a try. It's a bit old now and I have changed some methods lately but a lot of people in Roon community seem to like their results with it:

Thanks, just experimented with rePhase, so I will read it.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
Bedroom ? What size?things Can be difficult in too small rooms
Try headphones if you are not happy

Top Bottom