• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

All-in-one headphone amplifier recommendations

Helical

Greetings!

I'm on the lookout for a decent headphone amplifier, with the following features:
- analogue in
- USB in
- Flexible gain setting for different headphones
- Preferably all in one box..

I've only managed to find Topping MX5 ($330) and Fiio K5 Pro ESS ($280) here in Norway.

The Topping seems to have some very useful features (auto on/off, simple EQ, digital display, etc.) on top of a decent finish, so I'm liking it best. I will never connect any speakers to it, only headphones.

Do I have any other potential options for the features I'm looking for? I'd be willing to consider separates, but not for much more than price of the Topping.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I will never connect any speakers to it, only headphones.
Then the MX5 seems like a bit of a waste since a significant part of the cost goes into the built in speaker Amp.

FiiO has a few AIOs with Analog in, that are available in Norway:
-K5 Pro
-K5 Pro ESS
-K7
-K9 Pro
-K9 Pro ESS

Topping G5 also has USB and Analog in, but it doesn't seem to be available locally, so you'd have to order it from China.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
There's also the Schiit Asgard 3 and Jotunheim 2, which you can upgrade with a USB card. Looks like you'd have to import them from Schiit Europe though.

OP
H

Helical

Thanks for your input! I can get the G5 here, but I don't much like its form factor (zero need for portability).
All the FiiOs, apart from K5 are more expensive than the Topping, so that kinda leaves me with the MX5 vs. the K5.

Edit: Schiit is alas out of the question. Too expensive to import it, with taxes, shipping and fees I'd add more than $100 to the total.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Another option is to buy a headphone amplifier with both Bal and SE inputs. Then you can use a DAC like the Moondrop Dawn 4.4mm and plug that into the Bal input and still have the SE input open for whatever.

The least expensive HPAmps with Bal and SE in are the SMSL SH-8s via Drop, the SMSL HO100, and the Sabaj A20h via Hifi-express.

OP
H

Helical

Same problem as with Schiit I’m afraid. The tax and import fees are really harsh.

jonUK

How about something along the lines of a Topping L50 headphone amp and Topping D10 Balanced DAC? I suspect the more fully featured matching E50 DAC might be too expensive but the D10 seems reasonable and both components measure very well. The L50 has switchable inputs so you could use the RCA input to feed analogue sources into the amp (and use the balanced TRS input for the DAC). I'm not sure on Norwegian prices and availability but at what I'm assuming is the only supplier there (Hifisentralen?), the combo seems comparably priced to an MX5.

Having said that the MX5 looks a nice solution to cover all bases, but I guess dedicated separate units will perform better? Has anyone tested the MX5 (can't find a review here)? I noted Amir's comments on the Fiio K5 Pro suggested it was a very good headphone amp with passable integrated DAC.

jae

Major Contributor
If you don't have a low budget, there's always RME ADI Pro

bodhi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you don't have a low budget, there's always RME ADI Pro

"but not for much more than price of the Topping." -> *How about 5x price RME :p

Not a hater though, I have been itching to order the ADI Pro now that they again have it available somewhere.

jae

Major Contributor
"but not for much more than price of the Topping." -> *How about 5x price RME :p

Not a hater though, I have been itching to order the ADI Pro now that they again have it available somewhere.
Missed that bit :facepalm:

OP
H

Helical

How about something along the lines of a Topping L50 headphone amp and Topping D10 Balanced DAC? I suspect the more fully featured matching E50 DAC might be too expensive but the D10 seems reasonable and both components measure very well. The L50 has switchable inputs so you could use the RCA input to feed analogue sources into the amp (and use the balanced TRS input for the DAC). I'm not sure on Norwegian prices and availability but at what I'm assuming is the only supplier there (Hifisentralen?), the combo seems comparably priced to an MX5.

Having said that the MX5 looks a nice solution to cover all bases, but I guess dedicated separate units will perform better? Has anyone tested the MX5 (can't find a review here)? I noted Amir's comments on the Fiio K5 Pro suggested it was a very good headphone amp with passable integrated DAC.
Good input here. In regards to separates, I’m planning to connect my iPad/iPhone via cable to the DAC. So the D10 is a no go.

Little to find regarding the MX5. The Fiio model they sell now has a new DAC chip that hasnt been meassured.

OP
H

Helical

Musical Fidelity V90-HPA is another possibility. Can get that one really cheap, but I know nothing about it though…

MRC01

Major Contributor
... Schiit is alas out of the question. Too expensive to import it, with taxes, shipping and fees I'd add more than $100 to the total.
That's a shame because the Jotunheim 2 is a solid piece of kit, clean, powerful, built to last with a great warranty.
Maybe find one on eBay?

jonUK

Good input here. In regards to separates, I’m planning to connect my iPad/iPhone via cable to the DAC. So the D10 is a no go.

Little to find regarding the MX5. The Fiio model they sell now has a new DAC chip that hasnt been meassured.
Just personal preference but I'd probably just go for the Fiio K5 Pro (I expect unless they've messed something up the new ESS DAC version should be fine). As you say, you don't need a speaker amp, so why pay for something you don't need, plus I'm a bit wary of Topping amps based on what I've read about failure rates on some of them. I imagine buying from a local vendor rather than ordering from China means you'll be covered for a year or two by consumer protection law if anything goes wrong with the item, anyway.

Top Bottom